Thread: E31 steering column module (LSM) calibration

My Cars
    '94 840Ci 6-speed

E31 steering column module (LSM) calibration

Months ago I received from invaluable information from fellow e31ers about issues concerning replacement of the LSM as mine was acting erratically with limited behaviour for full movement and memory.
    I'm pleased to say that the donor E31 LSM (partially) solved the issue. The memory works again and it moves per the stalk commands. Just when I though it was to be plug and play, I'm realizing it needs calibration. In-out works fine, but it won't go all the way down and tries to go up beyond limits causing my speedo housing to deflect as it tries to push upward. Nobody wants a cracked speedo trim, so I'm looking for help on how I can go about recalibrating the "limits" of movement.
    I've tried unplugging the fuse, then running full motions upon reinsertion to no avail.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumToe View Post
    Months ago I received from invaluable information from fellow e31ers about issues concerning replacement of the LSM as mine was acting erratically with limited behaviour for full movement and memory.
    I'm pleased to say that the donor E31 LSM (partially) solved the issue. The memory works again and it moves per the stalk commands. Just when I though it was to be plug and play, I'm realizing it needs calibration. In-out works fine, but it won't go all the way down and tries to go up beyond limits causing my speedo housing to deflect as it tries to push upward. Nobody wants a cracked speedo trim, so I'm looking for help on how I can go about recalibrating the "limits" of movement.
    I've tried unplugging the fuse, then running full motions upon reinsertion to no avail.
    The change in steering column modules requires a steering column calibration using a BMW DIS.
    The calibration procedure will reset the telescope and up/down travel limits for the steering column travel.

You are local to a many on the forum with a DIS that can perform the calibration procedure. I anticipate there are many Indy shops that can do the calibration for you also.

FWIW, the steering column memory module that failed is easy to repair (so don't throw it away) since the most likely failure was the electrolytic capacitors associated with the modules internal power supply.
    Capacitor failure in these modules is becoming more prevalent and you can anticipate the replacement unit you installed will suffer the same fate, as the failure is more age related that anything.

Previous forum discussion: Steering Column Module
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...umn+controller

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    I have DIS if you feel like making the drive to Palo Alto CA or Dragon850 in Vallejo CA.

Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
    The change in steering column modules requires a steering column calibration using a BMW DIS.
    The calibration procedure will reset the telescope and up/down travel limits for the steering column travel.

You are local to a many on the forum with a DIS that can perform the calibration procedure. I anticipate there are many Indy shops that can do the calibration for you also.

FWIW, the steering column memory module that failed is easy to repair (so don't throw it away) since the most likely failure was the electrolytic capacitors associated with the modules internal power supply.
    Capacitor failure in these modules is becoming more prevalent and you can anticipate the replacement unit you installed will suffer the same fate, as the failure is more age related that anything.

Previous forum discussion: Steering Column Module
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...umn+controller

My Cars
    '94 840Ci 6-speed
    Thanks Alex, I appreciate your help/offer. Didn't realize that the calibration could only be performed via DIS.
    Vallejo is a tad bit closer to Sacramento, so perhaps I can get in touch with Dragon.

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    No worries. DIS is the only way I am aware of, but I could be wrong. Yes, much closer. I talked to him yesterday and he should be around this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumToe View Post
    Thanks Alex, I appreciate your help/offer. Didn't realize that the calibration could only be performed via DIS.
    Vallejo is a tad bit closer to Sacramento, so perhaps I can get in touch with Dragon.