Thread: E46 m54 FSR or just a dead battery?

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i

E46 m54 FSR or just a dead battery?

Hi, may seem stupid question but i wanted to know whats the difference when battery is bad and FSR draining it. Sorry for my English.

Recently i did retrofit of radio frequency key as mine was only with infrared so when connecting the wires i disconnected the battery just in case. And after reassemling fuse box in place i reconnected battery and test the key which worked fine. But heater blower started making noise like it has something on it's while spining whennkey is in position 1. I tried to start the car but starter did not engage, just clicking and headlights flashing. Later i jumpstarted the car and drove it fine like 2 days. Then had to leave it for couple days. So after 2 days of sitting i started it with no problems and let it warm like 10 mins to be battery is charged then turned engine off and connected diagnostic cable to look at some errors. 15 mins later i try to start the car and again no starter sound.

As i'm low on a budget i wanna know for sure if it's battery gone bad or just FSR or something else cause it drain so fast. Thanx in advance

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by freestyle31225 View Post
    Hi, may seem stupid question but i wanted to know whats the difference when battery is bad and FSR draining it. Sorry for my English.

Recently i did retrofit of radio frequency key as mine was only with infrared so when connecting the wires i disconnected the battery just in case. And after reassemling fuse box in place i reconnected battery and test the key which worked fine. But heater blower started making noise like it has something on it's while spining whennkey is in position 1. I tried to start the car but starter did not engage, just clicking and headlights flashing. Later i jumpstarted the car and drove it fine like 2 days. Then had to leave it for couple days. So after 2 days of sitting i started it with no problems and let it warm like 10 mins to be battery is charged then turned engine off and connected diagnostic cable to look at some errors. 15 mins later i try to start the car and again no starter sound.

As i'm low on a budget i wanna know for sure if it's battery gone bad or just FSR or something else cause it drain so fast. Thanx in advance
    I can't offer a lot of help but I do have a suggestion - next time you park and lock the car, look at the RED LIGHT on the gear selector. It should go OFF after about 45 minutes or sooner. If it's still on after an hour, the car isn't going into SLEEP mode. At least this is what I've been told.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I believe it's more like 16~18 minutes before sleep mode kicks in.

I suspect a failing starter solenoid.
    Next time it won't start, have a helper knock on the solenoid with a wrench,
    while you simultaneously turn the key, and attempt to start.

My Cars
    2001 bmw e46 320i
    Thanx for replies. I will try starter knocking next time.

The problem is it sleeps fine cause it does not drain it when locked. If it was not sleeping then it would not start after 2 days of sitting in garage.
    I wonder if something drains it while the key is in ignition