Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Rear strut tower plates

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    N Miami FL
    Posts
    927
    My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850

    Rear strut tower plates

    Havent been on here in a while but am about to start cleaning up the TT and remember a job I meant to do some while ago. It was to install (as a preventative measure) some reinforcement plates on top of the rear strut towers as the E31 is prone to tear the metal especially with a modified suspension. I think Gerry (Phoenix) in the UK was making them? I "think" I actually bought a set but cant locate them. Anybody got a set for sale? I also seem to remember BMW having a strut reinforcement fix but that had to be welded in from underneath and I dont want to get into that.

    So, anybody got a set or are they still available?
    92 Dinan Stage III 850 Twin Turbo (1 of 4)
    625 Hp on 93 pump gas @ 14 psi 660 ft lbs torque


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    321
    My Cars
    850i, '76 2002, '76 530
    I ordered a set from Gerry last month along with some SS brake lines and I hope they show up next week. His shop was down for two weeks during the Xmas break. He said he always has plates in stock.
    In the meantime I found plates offered by Vorshlag in Dallas but I have not measured the 850 and contacted the shop to see if they will fit. Maybe someone here can confirm fitment.
    https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...nforcement-kit

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sunny Cali,
    Posts
    8,431
    My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Gerry's plates, Order from Wuffer, You'll get them a lot faster.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    81
    My Cars
    92 850, 95 840, E90 M3
    Hurt

    Current project working on the E31 rebuild.
    1992 BMW 850i, 1995 E31 840ci, 2008 E90 M3, 2008 750Li

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sunny Cali,
    Posts
    8,431
    My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Did you fit those on your shock towers? Ours are different with a wider spread of material.


    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Langley BC Canada
    Posts
    2,841
    My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Gerry's plates, Order from Wuffer, You'll get them a lot faster.
    Nope, do not have them any longer, nor does Max Lumens. Order directly from Gerry in the UK.
    http://www.phoenixmotorsport.co.uk/
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    81
    My Cars
    92 850, 95 840, E90 M3
    No I have not installed those on any of my cars. But reinforcing the towers is on my to do list. I didn’t realize the difference in reinforcement plates



    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    Did you fit those on your shock towers? Ours are different with a wider spread of material.


    Hurt

    Current project working on the E31 rebuild.
    1992 BMW 850i, 1995 E31 840ci, 2008 E90 M3, 2008 750Li

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    581
    My Cars
    1994 840Ci - M60, 6MT
    How much are the plates from Phoenix?
    I can't seem to find them on the website.

    edit: and what are the symptoms if the current shock tower mount is gone/cracked?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    81
    My Cars
    92 850, 95 840, E90 M3
    I cant find them either!!



    Quote Originally Posted by tangcla View Post
    How much are the plates from Phoenix?
    I can't seem to find them on the website.

    edit: and what are the symptoms if the current shock tower mount is gone/cracked?
    Hurt

    Current project working on the E31 rebuild.
    1992 BMW 850i, 1995 E31 840ci, 2008 E90 M3, 2008 750Li

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Posts
    127
    My Cars
    x5 35d, 750i, 850Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtwj View Post
    I cant find them either!!
    They aren't listed separately with a price, but they are mentioned in the narrative on the suspension page of the catalog. I assume you have to email Gerry if you want a set.

    Mike Barrett
    i
    1996 850Ci Oxford Green/Light Silvergray

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,015
    My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP530 View Post
    I ordered a set from Gerry last month along with some SS brake lines and I hope they show up next week. His shop was down for two weeks during the Xmas break. He said he always has plates in stock.
    In the meantime I found plates offered by Vorshlag in Dallas but I have not measured the 850 and contacted the shop to see if they will fit. Maybe someone here can confirm fitment.
    https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...nforcement-kit
    These will not fit.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiss Metallic
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiss III

    BMWCCA E31 Chapter President



    ...the price of cool ain't cheap!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    321
    My Cars
    850i, '76 2002, '76 530
    Gerry does have the plates. He is shipping mine this week! $69.95 to cover the parts and shipping to me here in Texas. I also ordered some ss brake lines too. Expensive to ship from the UK.

    Try: gspeechley@phoenixmotorsport.co.uk or gerryspeechley@msn.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    81
    My Cars
    92 850, 95 840, E90 M3
    Thanks I got in touch with him with the email addresses you posted above.


    Quote Originally Posted by JDP530 View Post
    Gerry does have the plates. He is shipping mine this week! $69.95 to cover the parts and shipping to me here in Texas. I also ordered some ss brake lines too. Expensive to ship from the UK.

    Try: gspeechley@phoenixmotorsport.co.uk or gerryspeechley@msn.com
    Hurt

    Current project working on the E31 rebuild.
    1992 BMW 850i, 1995 E31 840ci, 2008 E90 M3, 2008 750Li

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    lynbrook,new york
    Posts
    3
    My Cars
    1995 bmw 840

    Reinforcement plates

    Quote Originally Posted by pumpedTSI View Post
    Havent been on here in a while but am about to start cleaning up the TT and remember a job I meant to do some while ago. It was to install (as a preventative measure) some reinforcement plates on top of the rear strut towers as the E31 is prone to tear the metal especially with a modified suspension. I think Gerry (Phoenix) in the UK was making them? I "think" I actually bought a set but cant locate them. Anybody got a set for sale? I also seem to remember BMW having a strut reinforcement fix but that had to be welded in from underneath and I dont want to get into that.

    So, anybody got a set or are they still available?
    You can make a set out of a set from the three series , you just have to file the mounting holes a little . I did this on my 840 and it worked perfect. Good luck. Geof - G

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    99
    My Cars
    BMWs:74 3.0 CS, 97 840Ci
    gjg (et al),

    Do you mean the e46 plates, such as these: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...hoCEwYQAvD_BwE

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Gary-
    Gary Knox
    '74 BMW 3.0 CS
    '97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '07 Audi A8
    '90 MB 560 SEC and '94 Porsche 928 GTS recently departed but long enjoyed
    50 or so others over the past 67 years of driving

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,015
    My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    No, the E31 rear plates are very different, and I don't recall any other model that would work - just another "exclusive" part.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiss Metallic
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiss III

    BMWCCA E31 Chapter President



    ...the price of cool ain't cheap!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    530
    My Cars
    1991 850i
    I have a pair of Gerry/Phoenix plates that decided to not put on. PM me and they are yours. I'll probably even pay the postage as I'm a sucker for a needy 8er.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    35
    My Cars
    1996 BMW 850C1 M73
    I am also looking for a set if any one has some.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    509
    My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Nobody ever reads. They just say things.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    530
    My Cars
    1991 850i
    My plates have found a good home

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Salinas CA.
    Posts
    515
    My Cars
    1993 BMW 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    No, the E31 rear plates are very different, and I don't recall any other model that would work - just another "exclusive" part.
    For those contemplating these plates, good thinking! They fit perfectly, and double the thickness where the shock mounts attach to the body. They also spread the load when the suspension is in full droop. Be smart, and push the short studs out of the upper shock mount using a socket and a vice. Buy some metric stainless steel bolts, and new swage nuts, or nylocks, so that they get a full purchase, as after you might try to install the plates you will see that the upper shock mount studs are too short. Also, the gasket between the mount and body is NLA, so run a bead of grey silicone to keep water out of the trunk. You will need the help of a friend to do the install, but then you will be Done! This is also a good time to replace those old shock mounts. You know you will never be Done! Have fun.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    509
    My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I didnít see an issue with the studs. Theyíre pretty much perfect.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Salinas CA.
    Posts
    515
    My Cars
    1993 BMW 850CI

    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by killian665 View Post
    I didnít see an issue with the studs. Theyíre pretty much perfect.
    Swage nuts donít really work unless there are at least a couple of threads showing past the nut. You might just remove the reinforcement plate, and then run that nut down on the stud for comparison. When I first did mine, I saw that the swage nut was just about even with the stud, but in fact was about a thread or more higher. So, I thought, locktite will be good enough, Nope. Iím the kind of mechanic that wants things installed so that they donít cause me problems, especially suspension, and brakes. This is the reason that I installed mine with longer bolts. If somehow that upper mount were to come loose during a hard cornering, or evasive maneuver one might end up somewhere other than where he wanted to be.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    509
    My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I just donít see that happening given the amount of thread engagement.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Salinas CA.
    Posts
    515
    My Cars
    1993 BMW 850CI
    Search is your friend. It is your car, do as you think best, but check out this thread, and look at the photo in reply #43 showing the plates installed on the original shock mount studs. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...forcing+plates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Rear Strut tower reinforcement Plates
    By pMak26 in forum BMW Parts Wanted sponsored by Bavarian Auto Recycling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
  2. WTT: Dinan Rear Strut Tower Brace for......
    By Slvr328IS in forum BMW Parts Wanted sponsored by Bavarian Auto Recycling
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 10:56 PM
  3. Rear strut tower brace
    By Jed in forum Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing sponsored by Bimmerparts.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2002, 01:42 PM
  4. JTD Front and ALL NEW Rear Strut Tower Braces
    By Justin(OKC) in forum BMW Parts For Sale (Panjo) sponsored by Bavarian Auto Recycling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2002, 05:53 PM
  5. rear strut tower brace?
    By m3fanatic97 in forum 1992 - 1999 M3 (E36)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-15-2001, 06:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •