Thread: Long start time, 1 in 30~ times

My Cars
    335i E93 N54

Long start time, 1 in 30~ times

Hi all,

My car generally starts up very quickly on turning over.
    This includes on cold (-25c) starts and after sleeping for the night.

However, approx one in 30~ starts (couple weeks), it takes about 5-10 seconds.
    It turns over quickly, but with no fire or stumble until it fires up correctly.

I've heard about injectors leaking the gas back, resulting in longer pump time before it starts, however I can't imagine that all 6 do it at the same time.
    It's possible that I misunderstand what is going on there with the Injector issues.
    I've not yet checked the version of them in this car.

The long turn over time can happen when sitting for just a few (4) hours, not just in the AM.

Thoughts?

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Could also be indicative of a fuel pump on the outs. If you ever notice a potent smell of gas with a long crank, I'd suspect injectors and not fuel pumps.
    Last edited by rydeyz; 01-12-2018 at 12:54 PM.

My Cars
    Sounds like either fuel pump or injectors

My Cars
    2009 335i
    I have pretty much the same issue. I'm the second owner and I am not sure if the HPFP has been replaced, the injectors are index 10, so they are older but not the oldest. What I've started doing is I turn on the ignition for a couple seconds before I start the engine, which I believe turns on the fuel pump. Since I have started doing this I haven't had a long crank, which kind of leads me to believe my issue is more HPFP related.

Obviously turning on the ignition before starting is not correcting the problem but it is keeping it from causing long cranks which are probably not great for the engine.

My Cars
    Likely the high pressure pump. How many miles? Is the warranty extension on the HPFP still in effect? But unless you can make it happen regularly, or there are codes stored, the dealership won't likely replace it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician