Thread: 2017 BMW X3 Alignment at non BMW shop voids warranty?

My Cars
    2017 BMW X3

2017 BMW X3 Alignment at non BMW shop voids warranty?

Looks like my 2017 bmw x3 had alignment issues for left front and rear tires. I was planning to fix the alignment from PepBoys, but dealer told me that it voids the warranty. Is it true? Thanks in advance!!

That would be news to me. There is also a law that prohibits vehicle manufacturers from requiring the use of the manufacturer for service and maintenance, such as alignment, oil changes etc.
    I'm not sure when you got your vehicle, but adjustments in the 1st year should be covered. Alignment, uneven body panels, loose kidney grills, peeling door handles etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Doesn't void your warranty, but why would you trust your brand new BMW to Pepboys?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2017 BMW X3
    Thank you dano1200r. I am still in my 1st year. Alignment is excluded in the warranty as per https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html .

My Cars
    2017 BMW X3
    Pep boys had 3year/36k warranty for $119 (https://www.pepboys.com/service/tire...ces/alignment/) vs $190 from dealer. I think alignment is computerized and it shouldn't make any difference bmw dealer or others.

My Cars
    It's not the computer doing the alignment. It's the tech. Could be a $15/hr high school dropout at pep boys. Or could be a dealer tech with years and years of BMW experience.

For what it's worth, our alignments are less than 150. Sometimes we run a 99 or 125 special

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    +1. A four wheel alignment isn't something you do that often so $40 +/- isn't that much for a quality repair. Not all shops know how/have the correct tools to do it properly. The dealers have service discount coupons every so often. I would look for a decent bmw Indy shop before pep boys/walmarts.

My Cars
    2000 328i
    The Moss-Magnusson Act says that the manufacturer can’t void a warranty for using non-dealer services. It’s the same law that puts the onus on the manufacturer to prove that a modification caused a malfunction when it comes to warranty work.

My Cars
    2017 BMW X3
    Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I went ahead with BMW dealer and paid $199+tax.