Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did I make a good purchase?

My Cars
    01 540ia
    I'm going to wait till summer comes and do all minor fixes at once; coolant flush, spark plugs, 02 sensors (all 4), new liquids, new filters. I do hear a quiet knock that I described in another post I made, hoping it's not the vanos seals like eveyone says and it's just the cam lifters which I've read are "harmless". I should have a code reader by then and I'll do a scan before I change anything out.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    I suggest reading the forums often. It's a good way to keep aware of common failures so you can recognize when something is about to fail on your car. It keeps "surprises" to a minimum.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    01 540ia
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
    I suggest reading the forums often. It's a good way to keep aware of common failures so you can recognize when something is about to fail on your car. It keeps "surprises" to a minimum.
    Definitely, I spent a lot of time reading up on the 540i on here and other sites before I got one. I'll make an update post sometime this summer or if any problems come up.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll post some pics of the car soon when I can wash it without it freezing

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M sport
    I'm attempting to bring a 6spd M sport back to life like it was in 2003 and I have about 5k budgeted. I do all my own work and have a dedicated work space to leave the car in pieces. I think it would be hell if this was my primary mode of transportation.

My plan is to do the following:

2500 for complete suspension refresh
    1000 for timing chain guides and associated bits
    750 for brakes
    1000 for body work
    600 for cooling
    1000 for tires
    600 for wheels
    400 for interior bits
    500 for BMW tools

....crap I'm already over budget.

Am I ok with this? You bet!
    Last edited by dasjuicebox; 01-13-2018 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    In terms of milage I get about 18 driving like a complete ahole but i also have a manual. IDK if that makes a huge difference.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    With my 540 autoslushmatic, goofing around get between 17-19, driving around like a decent citizen, 22 on the highway, my 528 wagon, 19-21, granpa mode, 24-25, on a long trip out on the highway, I've seen 27.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by fedisrico View Post
    I'm going to wait till summer comes and do all minor fixes at once; coolant flush, spark plugs, 02 sensors (all 4), new liquids, new filters. I do hear a quiet knock that I described in another post I made, hoping it's not the vanos seals like eveyone says and it's just the cam lifters which I've read are "harmless". I should have a code reader by then and I'll do a scan before I change anything out.
    vanos seals are harmless, do not fix them.

Take note that since your expansion tank is overfilled, it will puke out the excess coolant even in a "mild" overheat, a turkey baster would work well to get it out. Don't obsess about your cooling system too much until you start to see obvious cracks and leaks, you can always check your radiator production too, since a lot of the cars got new ones during CPO time in the late 2000s.
    Last edited by XAlt; 01-14-2018 at 12:54 AM.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    You have to make it to summer - unless you park it. Keep about 500 around in emergency funds at all times.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    vanos seals are harmless, do not fix them.
    He's already been told that, plus to not fret about O2 sensors unless there's codes but keeps coming back saying he's gonna do them anyway...

Yet oddly he's also just going to put any maintenance off until spring, uh, cuz its cold out.

Yet another n00b asking "what should I do?" then getting good answers and deciding "Oh I don't like the answers so I'll just do something else".

OK. Whatever. Maybe you'll be lucky. Not what I'd do but... best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    You have to make it to summer - unless you park it. Keep about 500 around in emergency funds at all times.
    Ha. $500 won't take you far on a 540.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Yah - I did say at all times - funds need to be replenished frequently. All negativity aside, you need to check fluids daily for a while, listen for odd noises, note any new noises, and ask here before self diagnosis on a complex car. Mileage will be what it is, and as you fix things, it will creep up - but not by a whole lot. I mentioned winter mileage earlier, and that is because I have found the oxegnated winter mix we see in the northeast returns even less mileage.

My Cars
    01 540ia
    Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I don't think I'm going to need to be constantly pouring money into this car, I know a lot of people tend to have a lot of parts always breaking but I've also seen cases where people get to 200k with normal maintenance and the occasional replacement part. I think this car will be the latter, and for the parts that I was told "I shouldn't worry about until a code comes up", I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to replace them before they get to the point of needing to be replaced.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by fedisrico View Post
    Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I don't think I'm going to need to be constantly pouring money into this car, I know a lot of people tend to have a lot of parts always breaking but I've also seen cases where people get to 200k with normal maintenance and the occasional replacement part. I think this car will be the latter, and for the parts that I was told "I shouldn't worry about until a code comes up", I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to replace them before they get to the point of needing to be replaced.
    You might make it to a decent mileage without tons of issues but don't count on it.

My Cars
    535is, 525i, 540iT,650ic

Did I make a good purchase?

I am going to start a new thread and not trying to jack, but just bought a Bimmerforums members car on here with 240k miles and it drives and rides like 15k. He lovingly maintained it as second owner for years and spent tons getting there. Today, right now it needs nothing and that is why I bought it. New tranny and engine top end with all known e39 issues addressed in last 2-3 years. And I would have paid double for it - don’t tell him though, LOL.

E39 v8’s are expensive. Heck even inline 6’s, but you can run them into the ground to and buy another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by carnutdallas View Post
    but you can run them into the ground to and buy another
    Winning mindset right here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12