Thread: "My Lift Stand"

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i

"My Lift Stand"

Anyone here have experience with this product? Does not look to be in full production, just low volume. It looks like a solid way to hold a car up for transmission/engine work. Its between that or seeing if I can get a lift in my 2 car garage with a 1 car door.

http://myliftstand.com
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

Dwin is offline Go Big or Go Home......
    My Cars
    98 528i
    No I haven't seen that one but I was looking for a lift also, I can't remember exactly where I found it but I just goggled for car lifts and a couple of portable one's came up. Here's one. WWW.quickjack.com just goggle and there's tons of options. If you do pull the trigger and purchase one please do post and keep us posted like I said I'm in the market also tired of jacking it up one side at a time.
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    07 Tundra, 02 530 14 x5
    Doesn't look to safe as the car may roll, maybe if it was more of a cradle for the wheel. I've been dying to get a lift in my garage but ceiling is too low. Although I have storage above where I can tear out the ceiling. Which I may do. Tired of crawling under the car only to find out I forgot a tool. To crawl back out and under again with little clearance.and not feeling very safe under jack stands. And ramps or whatever. Bendpak makes a decent lift also for low height. And it's lifted by air. So not so much work as the my lift. Just getting a car in the air is plenty work.
    2002 525i

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    That is actually a pretty neat equipment but like what Trainwreck has said it doesn't appear that little step is good enough to stop the wheels from accidentally rolling over. I think they need to add more depth/height to it. Secondly, I don't see any point to this setup especially if you are going to work on wheels/brakes/suspension. You would be then forced to use hydraulic and safety jacks. For all other work, I don't see a problem with using it. You just got to think/plan ahead before you start wrenching.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    +1 to auaq but in my case even worse. I have a 540 Sport with an additional drop so I need ramps to get my "somewhat lower profile" jack to the jack points. I could invest in a true low profile jack but then that much more out. And that wouldn't be useable on the other vehicle and I definitely don't need more stuff in the garage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
    +1 to auaq but in my case even worse. I have a 540 Sport with an additional drop so I need ramps to get my "somewhat lower profile" jack to the jack points. I could invest in a true low profile jack but then that much more out. And that wouldn't be useable on the other vehicle and I definitely don't need more stuff in the garage...

I found that the scissor jack out of our Odyssey works very well to get my car high enough to give a standard height jack access to subframe/diff XD

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I'd disagree guys. I think the channel the wheels go into is probably pretty secure. Keeping in mind you'd have to roll all 4 tires up over that lip in the same direction at the same time. You'd basically have to put the car in gear and drive off them.

Now keep in mind I am certain there are 100 morons out there who would use these on only 2 wheels front or rear, or, would try to use them on a sloped driveway (aaargh!) but on a level surface I bet those are pretty damn secure.

Interdasting.

New to me thanks for the point out. Of course its no good for wheel-off stuff where you're right back to jackstands...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Speaking of safety... of course here's a super sweet setup. Can't imagine why you wouldn't go this way.

https://www.indiamart.com/trinitysal...-car-jack.html
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I'm actually checking out that QuickJack thing. Looks handy for a DIY'er in his / her garage.

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwin View Post
    No I haven't seen that one but I was looking for a lift also, I can't remember exactly where I found it but I just goggled for car lifts and a couple of portable one's came up. Here's one. WWW.quickjack.com just goggle and there's tons of options. If you do pull the trigger and purchase one please do post and keep us posted like I said I'm in the market also tired of jacking it up one side at a time.
    QuickJack jacking points do not reach on the E39.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

o 1997 540i6 o Dinan supercharger system o Dinan stage 3 suspension system o Dinan wheels o UUC EVO3 SSK/DSSR o SS Headers o M-Tech illuminated shifter o M5 3.62 LSD o Cubic trim o Gauge rings o OEM In-dash CD o Ultimate pedals o Hella AE's o M-Sport Steering Wheel o 400 RWHP o A/W intercooler o Killer Chiller

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by 540-S3 View Post
    QuickJack jacking points do not reach on the E39.
    Pretty easily fixed though w/ some resourcefulness.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...quickjack.html
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Has anybody received a price quote on the My Lift Stand? If so, what is the price for 4?

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    Has anybody received a price quote on the My Lift Stand? If so, what is the price for 4?
    I saw on a Ferrari forum that they were $260/pair which is steep but I still think could be worth it.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Speaking of safety... of course here's a super sweet setup. Can't imagine why you wouldn't go this way.

https://www.indiamart.com/trinitysal...-car-jack.html
    I keep seeing videos of this thing on Facebook, I can't imagine trusting my car to one of these, let alone myself. This coming from someone that crawls under cars sitting on welded steelies at the scrapyard.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 540i m-sport
    myliftstands look pretty sweet. It is a lot of jacking required though. would be cool if they had integrated ramps that you drove up on, removed the ramp part (like the harbor freight ramps), and then jacked it up from there. Looks sturdy too.

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    fyi in case you are unaware there is also the Alltrade Powerbuilt jack stands (model 640912). Similar idea/results as the lift stands, but cheaper. I think a couple of members have them.

They are available from several sources online ($38.79 each at Homedepot & Amazon right now). According to my notes a couple people have found them for $25 (each) at their local Tractor Supply and others got them from Frank Millman Distributors, 8 progress St., Edison, NJ 08820 (not sure what they paid).
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

E28 1987 535is: Manual, Bilstein HDs, 16" Style 5v2 (from e38) [Sold]

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I'd disagree guys. I think the channel the wheels go into is probably pretty secure. Keeping in mind you'd have to roll all 4 tires up over that lip in the same direction at the same time. You'd basically have to put the car in gear and drive off them.

Now keep in mind I am certain there are 100 morons out there who would use these on only 2 wheels front or rear, or, would try to use them on a sloped driveway (aaargh!) but on a level surface I bet those are pretty damn secure.

Interdasting.

New to me thanks for the point out. Of course its no good for wheel-off stuff where you're right back to jackstands...
    +100, looks very safe, the front and back edges are 1.5" higher than where the tire sits.
    This is much safer than 4 jack stands....that I've never had a problem with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Solo12 View Post
    fyi in case you are unaware there is also the Alltrade Powerbuilt jack stands (model 640912). Similar idea/results as the lift stands, but cheaper. I think a couple of members have them.

They are available from several sources online ($38.79 each at Homedepot & Amazon right now). According to my notes a couple people have found them for $25 (each) at their local Tractor Supply and others got them from Frank Millman Distributors, 8 progress St., Edison, NJ 08820 (not sure what they paid).
    I bought the Alltrade Powerbuilt jack stands from Frank about 8-9 years ago, $25 back then.

540Exhaust.JPG

22" lift
    BottleJackStand.JPG
    Last edited by JimLev; 04-05-2017 at 09:35 AM.

My Cars
    2007 E91 328xi
    I just ordered a set of four myliftstands (I should have them in a few weeks), shipping is not cheap to CA (four 37lbs packages from IL). I typically work in a friend's very small garage and given all of the options I was considering (kwiklift / ranger quickjack/ myliftstand) these were really the best option given our minimal storage/work space and the fact that they provide the unparalleled access. Additionally, I really like that they are hand made and based on reviews they are built to last a lifetime.

I have used a combination of Harbor Freight steel ramps, Esco jackstands and rubber jackpad adapters for years which has worked quite well (and will continue to be used for brakes/wheel bearings etc). However, my friend just bought a fairly rough e39 540 and we have a lot of under-car work to do (including a clutch) so these should be perfect in providing a more usable lift height and vastly more stability and safety than the current setup while taking up no more space than a ramp set when stacked.

They are not inexpensive, but I plan to have them for a very long time and as I am no longer in my 20s safety seems to become more and more of a concern for me. I'll post a few pictures and provide a review when they arrive.

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I have been using the Maxjaxx product for several years, great investment and very safe.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by mms16 View Post
    I just ordered a set of four myliftstands (I should have them in a few weeks), shipping is not cheap to CA (four 37lbs packages from IL). I typically work in a friend's very small garage and given all of the options I was considering (kwiklift / ranger quickjack/ myliftstand) these were really the best option given our minimal storage/work space and the fact that they provide the unparalleled access. Additionally, I really like that they are hand made and based on reviews they are built to last a lifetime.

I have used a combination of Harbor Freight steel ramps, Esco jackstands and rubber jackpad adapters for years which has worked quite well (and will continue to be used for brakes/wheel bearings etc). However, my friend just bought a fairly rough e39 540 and we have a lot of under-car work to do (including a clutch) so these should be perfect in providing a more usable lift height and vastly more stability and safety than the current setup while taking up no more space than a ramp set when stacked.

They are not inexpensive, but I plan to have them for a very long time and as I am no longer in my 20s safety seems to become more and more of a concern for me. I'll post a few pictures and provide a review when they arrive.
    Would you mind sharing the cost? I’m also debating between something like these or the quick jacks. Or just biting the bullet and getting a maxxjaxx.

My Cars
    2007 E91 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by nikh23 View Post
    Would you mind sharing the cost? I’m also debating between something like these or the quick jacks. Or just biting the bullet and getting a maxxjaxx.

I paid $766 including shipping to CA. The stands were $550 (including a discount for buying four at once), the rest was shipping.

I would assume that the cost could be brought down significantly if you were local (I am guessing that pickup is an option-- not sure) or if you live closer to IL. The stands are 37lbs each so shipping is pretty extreme to the west coast. Either way, given the number of times I have taken chances under a car on jackstands I easily consider the peace of mind to justify the cost.

I don't have them yet, they arrive on Tuesday. I will hopefully get a chance to use them next weekend and I can post a few pics and my initial impressions-- I'm confident that they will be amazing.

The only competing product that my friend and I seriously considered was a KwikLift. I really liked KwikLift and I keep seeing them sell locally between $500 and $800 on craigslist. In the end it was determined that my friend's wife wouldn't allow a KwikLift to live in their garage so the compact footprint and ability to stack of myliftstands made them the clear best option. I also really like how portable myliftstands are (the ability to throw them in the back of my e91 wagon is another major plus). Secondly his garage is very small so KwikLift would not have been an easy fit to begin with.

Here is a local CL Kwiklift with the two optional center bridges that allow you to lift car from the frame for $800- it looks brand new https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts...449128584.html

For anybody with a large amount of space I think a used Kwiklift (at $500-$800) would be a decent option (no hydraulics, extremely safe, very usable lift height, center bridges for brake/suspension work). The only real issue is the weight and the amount of storage that it would occupy.

My Cars
    2007 E91 328xi
    We tried out the lift stands for the first time today. My initial impression is extremely positive, the extreme quality was apparent as soon as opened the box and the first test was my friend's E39 540/6-manual that he recently purchased (it's a bit rough but was a fantastic deal and is in much better shape than we had anticipated before purchasing).

We used two jacks to make the process easier:
    -A $60 Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack that I purchased to quickly lift each corner (it's only 26lbs so it's super easy to move it between the corners- I replaced the standard pad with a hockey puck so the teeth wouldn't scratch the new lift stands)
    -An older OTC Stinger low profile steel floor jack that I have had for many years (it's a workhorse)

The OTC only lifts to 19.5" and we lifted both the front and rear from the center lift points (differential in rear). It was exceptionally easy to get the front stands in but it took two tries in rear because the diff sits somewhat high in the frame so the 19.5" lift was just a hare short of what was needed to slide the stands under the wheels (we added a hockey puck to the OTC saddle and the rear stands fit under the wheels easily). The secondary lift (which telescopes each stand to full height) was extremely easy and they spring loaded pins make a great sound when they snap into place.

We had 21.5" of ground clearance (floor to frame) after the car was lifted. The stability of myliftstands truly has no equal (a major earthquake wouldn't knock the car off of these stands and they do slide to settle and you lift the different ends of the car so the weight is even when the lift is complete). The working space is exceptional (think ESCO stands at their absolute tallest setting... except in the case of myliftstands the factory jack points are clear as myliftstands footprint only exists below the wheels so access is very impressive.

I am confident that we will have enough space to pull the transmission for a clutch replacement and working underneath the 540 today was a breeze. Additionally we fixed a power steering leak on the top side of the engine and access to the top of the engine bay when it's lifted 14" higher than normal is extremely pleasant.

IMG_8686.jpg

IMG_8688.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5077.JPG