Thread: Muffler Delete - Not happy :-(

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530xi

Muffler Delete - Not happy :-(

Hey guys! First post here and first-time BMW owner!

I picked up a very low-mileage (<40,000km) 2007 530xi, 6-speed manual transmission last week. Coming from a 2009 MB C300 6-speed.

Car is great and my mechanic said everything looks brand new on it.

The stock exhaust is sooooo quiet. I checked out dozens of youtube videos and settled on a muffler delete as the best option. Did that today and it was a bad decision. I have drone at low RPM and had a headache after only driving for 30 mins. On my Benz, I just had to put an X-pipe to replace the resonator and everything sounded amazing.

I'm planning to go back in tomorrow and put the stock muffler back on, but was wondering if anyone had better ideas? i.e. a common Magnaflow, etc. muffler that would still give some good, deep rumble better than stock, without the droning. Preference is quiet at low-rpm and then loud at higher RPM's.

I know the RPI axle-back has a good reputation, but I don't think I can handle a week or two shipping time with this droning noise.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1990 325i
    Plenty of decent manufacturers for BMW exhaust, I'm sure some of them offer e60 specific catbacks

Mod Bargains lists these possibilities

Remus
    Borla
    Billy Boat
    Eisenmann
    Magnaflow
    Supersprint

I would bet there are also youtube videos with each exhaust to give you a sense of tone.

Link: Mod-Bargains
    Last edited by mbonder; 01-13-2018 at 02:36 PM.

My Cars

My Cars
    09 535ix
    I'm thinking about hesitating on doing this to my 535... In my experience hp is a big factor in amplifying natural exhaust sound. I've got a few mods on my 535 and I'm nervous... I would never have considered it on a 530.

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    I was also considering the muffler delete. My car is modded and the exhaust, although not a huge restriction on a 535i, is my next step. I don’t want to spend much money though. It’s just not a priority, at this time anyway.

i am thinking about straight-piping where the secondary cats are, leaving the 2-into-1 resonator “silencer”, and then getting rid of the double muffler setup at the bumper.

Problem with my plan is that the bmw pipes are metric OD and everything I can find to weld up is imperial (or standard) OD. So even just finding pipe and tips seems impossible.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
    // Radar //

p.s.
    to the OP...I’ve heard the muffler delete on the N54 motor (I believe you have the M54, iirc) and it sounds pretty good outside the car, but not sure about drone on the inside.
    2010 E60 535i N54 {sleeper}
    M-Sport, Alpine White w/Natural Brown Leather
    Coilovers, APEX Race Wheels
    Trebila-tuned motor, xHP Stage3 tranny tune,
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    BMW
    I went Supersprint (LINK) on my E61 530xi daily and couldn't be happier. Beefier and more sporty sounding than stock without being annoying or making the wife/friends complain about it at all.

radarcontact - N52 in the OPs car. As for deletes on an N54 E6X pretty drone-heavy, I always suggest a proper exhaust for someone wanting sleeper status or that just drives their car a good bit in general, a lot of YouTube videos can be a little decieving as the deletes do sound great at WOT or free reving, but that only tells the out side the car story lol.

-James
    Last edited by ECSTuning; 01-24-2018 at 04:19 PM.

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post

radarcontact - N52 in the OPs car. As for deletes on an N54 E6X pretty drone-heavy, I always suggest a proper exhaust for someone wanting sleeper status or that just drives their car a good bit in general, a lot of YouTube videos can be a little decieving as the deletes do sound great at WOT or free reving, but that only tells the out side the car story lol.

-James
    I probably should change my signature... I don’t care about the sleeper thing anymore... turned out it was NO FUN! Lol
    I would love to do a custom (engineered) system, but I don’t want to spend that kind of cash on the car. I’d do wheels/Tires, etc. before an exhaust for that kind of money. I could do it if I wanted to, but I try to keep my mods in check with the car’s overall value and projected lifetime. I’ve probably already over-invested in mine, tbh with you.
    That’s why I was trying to go the poor man’s route above; low $ output, reversible if needed. We’ll see... still feeling things out (in my brain).

Appreciate your thoughts, James!
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    BMW 540i E60
    hi, i dont see for 540i e60 you have?

My Cars
    09 535ix
    I pulled the trigger and deleted the rear muffler on my 535 today. I didn’t expect it to sound like my 550... but it’s actually quieter than I expected. You can definitely hear it... but it’s almost like you have to do a second take to realize something is different with the exhaust. I’m pretty happy. Tuffys exhaust here charged me 150$ to cut the one mufflers off and weld in a new pipe and a chromed tip... thought that was a bit much but... it was already done when they gave me the price.
    RIP Jess or the idea of Jess or... what OT was.. or whatever...

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDavidsCourt View Post
    I pulled the trigger and deleted the rear muffler on my 535 today. I didn’t expect it to sound like my 550... but it’s actually quieter than I expected. You can definitely hear it... but it’s almost like you have to do a second take to realize something is different with the exhaust. I’m pretty happy. Tuffys exhaust here charged me 150$ to cut the one mufflers off and weld in a new pipe and a chromed tip... thought that was a bit much but... it was already done when they gave me the price.
    Can you post a pic or two? Love to see it. Like maybe one from rear like what someone sees when they are behind you, and maybe one from near the bumper but low enough to show the pipe work?
    That would be cool to see, cause it’s exactly what I was toying with.

p.s.
    Are you otherwise modded or stock? That could make a difference, I guess.

// Radar //
    Last edited by radarcontact; 02-04-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    09 535ix
    Quote Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
    Can you post a pic or two? Love to see it. Like maybe one from rear like what someone sees when they are behind you, and maybe one from near the bumper but low enough to show the pipe work?
    That would be cool to see, cause it’s exactly what I was toying with.

p.s.
    Are you otherwise modded or stock? That could make a difference, I guess.

// Radar //
    I had the exhaust shop do it on a whim one day. They didnt have the tip I wanted, so I got one just for the 'meantime'. The sound is what I was after.

I have a jb4 and DCI's.
    RIP Jess or the idea of Jess or... what OT was.. or whatever...

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    I had the exhaust shop do it on a whim one day. They didnt have the tip I wanted, so I got one just for the 'meantime'. The sound is what I was after.

I have a jb4 and DCI's.
    Did you post pics? (I don’t see them if you did/tried to)
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    09 535ix
    Quote Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
    Did you post pics? (I don’t see them if you did/tried to)
    No I didn't... I will get some tomorrow. By the way... Wanna trade your Brown interior for my black?

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    No I didn't... I will get some tomorrow. By the way... Wanna trade your Brown interior for my black?
    Lol, I love the brown... and I’m not a white car guy, but I do like the combo. Have same interior on my black e46 convertible ZHP. My fave.

So, no.
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!