Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown M52b28?

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo

Blown M52b28?

I need some advice on a E39 528i I've acquired. M52b28, 255,000 miles

A friend of mine needed it gone out of his yard so I towed it to my house.

He said he was shifting from 2nd to 3rd casually when white smoke started billowing out of the exhaust. He said it wasn't overheating and immediately had it towed home where it sat for 3 years assuming that the I6 was 'blown'. I kept trying to convince him that the I6's dont just die unless one of its systems fails; IE, cooling and that he should look into it further - he never did, convinced it was done. Also keep in mind this was adult owned and driven by a BMW enthusiast.

I pulled the car into my driveway and immediately tried to start it, car just turned over. I then pulled the coil packs and then the plugs. 5 of the 6 plugs had oil on them. Cylinder plug 2 had a large amount of oil on it, I mean soaked. So I first checked the compression all the numbers looked good except for Cylinder 2, about 70 PSI. I then checked cyl 2 again it was significantly higher, like 225 PSI and Cyl 5 showed around 225 PSI as well, which I thought was strange.

I then proceeded to swap in clean plugs, installed the coil packs and boom! Car starts! No mis, just slight lifter ticker and revs nicely but the car is billowing white smoke out of the exhaust - Smells like oil, not antifreeze. From the start I was assuming that the valve cover gasket was leaking and dumping oil into the cylinder head, on top of the spark plug, and then eventually the piston and then blow out of the exhaust. I checked the new plug I installed in Cyl 2 and it had oil sitting on top of it.

So I'm torn between:

1. very leaky valve cover gasket
    2. Head gasket failure
    3. Rings

At this point, my friend isn't asking for any money and its all negotiable but I can't decide if I want to pay for it and fix it because I'm not 100% sure whats wrong. I'm also not sure what to offer him?

thoughts? Please?
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-11-2018 at 10:55 PM.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Im going to guess #2 headgasket. Drive it and i bet the plugs foul again.

Didnt read thoroughly my blind bet is placed.

When doing these tests check the crank case and coolant for noise/air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Im going to guess #2 headgasket. Drive it and i bet the plugs foul again.

Didnt read thoroughly my blind bet is placed.

When doing these tests check the crank case and coolant for noise/air.

I've bought a running m50 with a cracked head before and this car isn't displaying the same symptoms which is puzzling me. As usual, the m50 would blow coolant out of the reservoir and would run out of it within in minutes and overheat with a ton of white smoke out of the exhaust.

This car got up to temp, no bubbles in coolant, no oil in coolant but did have a white substance on cap - but it has been sitting for 3 years. The coolant did overflow when it wasn't hot but did not 'spew' out.

The car idled and revved great for about 30 minutes and the white smoke decreased

Maybe I'll take it for a spin tomorrow... So your thinking cracked head/ or gasket at the oil gallery leaking on top of the piston and then the bottom of the plug, correct?
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-11-2018 at 10:56 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    The valve cover gasket and spark plug well gaskets will only allow oil into the cavity around the spark plug. The only way for that oil to get into the combustion chamber and foul the plug is by removing the spark plug. If the combustion chamber is full of oil and the plugs are getting fouled, chances are either the headgasket is leaking oil into the combustion chamber ( a stretch), the rings are letting it past the piston or the valve stem seals are so bad that oil in the head is getting sucked into the combustion chamber.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    The valve cover gasket and spark plug well gaskets will only allow oil into the cavity around the spark plug. The only way for that oil to get into the combustion chamber and foul the plug is by removing the spark plug. If the combustion chamber is full of oil and the plugs are getting fouled, chances are either the headgasket is leaking oil into the combustion chamber ( a stretch), the rings are letting it past the piston or the valve stem seals are so bad that oil in the head is getting sucked into the combustion chamber.
    So,

What are my options to figure out what exactly is going on? Should I pull the head and observe?

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    What about the CCV guys?

I would love to get this thing back up and running. Would be great DD cleaned up

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Give him $500.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Give him $500.
    That's a lot of turbo-E36 money Pbonsalb - a super nice diff

What are you thoughts? HG? I need to figure out what its going to cost me to fix it. And I'm not sure if I wanna swap a m52b28 into it but if its an HG I can do that in a day, 6-8hrs. I already have a cyl head
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-11-2018 at 11:30 PM.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Leakdown test /thread

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Leakdown test /thread

thats what I was waiting for...

Looks like I have to buy one now, sigh

The guy that sold me my first E36 is no better than a heroin dealer.
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-11-2018 at 11:35 PM.

My Cars
    M3
    I say go beat the hell out of it. That is usually step number one for me. Then step two...is beat it a little harder. If it STILL has problems then maybe you need a fancy dancy leakdown thingy.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    That's a lot of turbo-E36 money Pbonsalb - a super nice diff

What are you thoughts? HG? I need to figure out what its going to cost me to fix it. And I'm not sure if I wanna swap a m52b28 into it but if its an HG I can do that in a day, 6-8hrs. I already have a cyl head
    It’s a comfy daily driver and you seem to think the rest of the car is fine. You have an M52 you bought for a few hundred as I recall. Swap it in and enjoy. You may like the comfy cruiser so much you turbo it. The E39 is so much more substantial of a car than the E36. It makes a great driver. I had a 99 528i for 10 years. The auto trans is not great — like the E36 auto trans but manual swaps are easy. I had a manual.

Probably head gasket since you identified a cylinder. Possibly cracked head since you are burning coolant.

My Cars
    1997 328i turbo
    I think cracked cylinder 2 on the exhaust side of the head. Oil leaking on plugs valve seals. But I’d just rule out the oil separator first though.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Get some fittings. connect air compressor to cylinder via spark-plug hole. Rotate
    Block to close cylinder. Pressurize cylinder.
    Watch for air.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    It’s a comfy daily driver and you seem to think the rest of the car is fine. You have an M52 you bought for a few hundred as I recall. Swap it in and enjoy. You may like the comfy cruiser so much you turbo it. The E39 is so much more substantial of a car than the E36. It makes a great driver. I had a 99 528i for 10 years. The auto trans is not great — like the E36 auto trans but manual swaps are easy. I had a manual.

Probably head gasket since you identified a cylinder. Possibly cracked head since you are burning coolant.
    I can look at this E39 and tell its better quality than my E36 but looks heavy

The owners of the car absolutely loved it and I think they would have had someone fix it if they had excess money to spend on it. I could tell they were upset to see it go

I told them that if it were the something simple like the HG or CCV, etc... I would fix the car and give it back to them because they've already invested a ton of money in replacements parts
    for it that haven't even been installed. Plus the guys a veteran, and I try to help them out whenever I can and I've been in the same situation before, not fun

Now if its an engine swap type deal I'll probably buy the car and either look to be replacing the b28 or swapping in an m62 (but not sure whats all involved in the v8 swap yet)

The b28 I have in my garage is tore down to the block and is my blown turbo motor "piece of mind, rebuild." And it has around 320,000 miles on it...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crazyyardie View Post
    I think cracked cylinder 2 on the exhaust side of the head. Oil leaking on plugs valve seals. But I’d just rule out the oil separator first though.

Yeah that would make sense. Usually something has to cause it, not just wear and tear. That's why I'm a bit optimistic. The I6's are usually bullet proof and you don't hear of engine failure often, especially from wear and tear

- - - Updated - - -

Get some fittings. connect air compressor to cylinder via spark-plug hole. Rotate
    Block to close cylinder. Pressurize cylinder.
    Watch for air.

What type of fitting zack?

Can I grab one at advance? New to this method. I'm guessing regulate air to Bentley spec or a bit higher?
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-12-2018 at 10:51 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    3500 lbs curb weight. Not as much as you think for such a substantial feeling car. If you want a comfy cruiser, you have to accept more weight. If you really like your gutted convertible as a daily driver than this car is not for you.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    3500 lbs curb weight. Not as much as you think for such a substantial feeling car. If you want a comfy cruiser, you have to accept more weight. If you really like your gutted convertible as a daily driver than this car is not for you.
    I really like my XL1200 as a DD but unfortunately winter and I don't get a long too well. Convertible doesn't bother me as long as I can hear the turbo spool

Don't get me wrong, the car is awesome. Would love to keep as a DD or let the fiance drive it. Would be even better to boost, I could probably throw a salad shooter on for $2.5 to $3k

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    I should try the most budgeted turbo build for fun

My Cars
    86 325es
    Big problem with E39 is no easy way to get an LSD in there

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    1998 318i
    Cylinder 2 compression numbers likely jumped because oil may have drained into cylinder from leaking valve cover gasket increasing compression numbers. (After plug was removed, oil can sit in spark plug well and leak down into cylinder.) Or schrader valve on compression tester is sticking or going bad. Before condemning head gasket, check ccv. This valve can suddenly failed and cause this exact symptom. In lieu of having a manometer, remove oil fill cap with engine running and see if it has excessive vacuum with your hand or paper towel over fill cap.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Big problem with E39 is no easy way to get an LSD in there
    link to how you can? i wish mine had one.
    Capital Driving Club Car # 102
    How to turbo your car:
    Step one. Install ecu and learn to tune and or have it tuned.
    Step two. Install injectors and retune.
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by euro2fast4u View Post
    link to how you can? i wish mine had one.
    I wish I knew. I have a 98 528i that I hate and don't drive due to no LSD for wintertime shenanigans. I think there are some aftermarket carriers like a quaife and I think someone was machining e36 LSD carriers to go in an E39/E46 case. I think the only factory parts option is a E39 M5 rear subframe swap. BMW dropped the ball big time on that. Total BS.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by charles318 View Post
    Cylinder 2 compression numbers likely jumped because oil may have drained into cylinder from leaking valve cover gasket increasing compression numbers. (After plug was removed, oil can sit in spark plug well and leak down into cylinder.) Or schrader valve on compression tester is sticking or going bad. Before condemning head gasket, check ccv. This valve can suddenly failed and cause this exact symptom. In lieu of having a manometer, remove oil fill cap with engine running and see if it has excessive vacuum with your hand or paper towel over fill cap.
    Yeah, I was thinking there was some oil or gas in there when I was testing. Comp Tester is pretty new, don't think its sticking.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually drove it today... This is a cool friggin car. I was geeking out when I put the thing in reverse the mirrors started moving by themselves. It is fully - loaded. M52 didn't have the grunt that's supposed to though. She was sluggish

Anyway, here's some smoke sadness for everyone to view, this thing is puffing. It doesn't puff until shes warm though... hmm:

Last edited by 328iFun; 01-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    I wish I knew. I have a 98 528i that I hate and don't drive due to no LSD for wintertime shenanigans. I think there are some aftermarket carriers like a quaife and I think someone was machining e36 LSD carriers to go in an E39/E46 case. I think the only factory parts option is a E39 M5 rear subframe swap. BMW dropped the ball big time on that. Total BS.
    I'm pretty sure something like your approach to getting more traction in an E30 would also work in an E39, even if it is a bit involved.

On the original question, it sure sounds like a head gasket or rings to me. I'd buy it with the expectations of some significant engine work.
    Last edited by Matt Cramer; 01-12-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
    I'm pretty sure something like your approach to getting more traction in an E30 would also work in an E39, even if it is a bit involved.

On the original question, it sure sounds like a head gasket or rings to me. I'd buy it with the expectations of some significant engine work.
    If I'm going to be pulling a motor or head for that matter. I might as throw a cheapo turbo mani, a used Borg Warner, and get Zack to hook me up with a tune while im at it. Make a good little 350hp luxury car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast