Thread: Issue Pressing in Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318TI I6 Swap

Issue Pressing in Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

Hello all,

I’m a bit embarrassed to ask, but I’ve never pressed in a rear trailing arm bushing that didn’t have a metal sleeve on the outside to press on. This is on my 95 318ti, but it should be the same as the e30 which is why I’m here.

I removed the old RTABs without too much fuss, but the new ones appear to be getting mangled going in. I’ve greased them up (tried soap on the first one) but in order to get the lip of the “skinny” side exposed on the opposite side of the trailing arm that I’m pressing from, it seems that I have to use enough force to deform the “fat” side. It’s almost as if the bushing is too short.
    Is this normal/expected, or am I doing something wrong? Should I just press back from the other side? Will it all settle into place once they are on the car?

You can see the old bushing and new uninstalled bushing with a convex “fat” side, but the one pressed into the arm has been “deformed”:

Here is the skinny end that looks correct:

Lopsided and flat looking fat end:

Inner sleeve is recessed:

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I've done dozens over the years and never seen this happen.

What brand are these bushings? They look to be manufactured differently than the originals.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318TI I6 Swap
    Febi PN 04052.

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    2 reasons to NEVER use grease on rubber a) it will break down the rubber and b) the bushing should take a "set" to the TA so it serves to return the arm to its rested state. If it pivots in the TA due to the grease it wont provide that benefit. This is the same principle for CABs which is why you use a water based lube (such as the one your gf\bf keeps in the night stand).
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Yeah, the grease isn't the end of the world but I think between a substandard bushing, the grease, and the method of installation those ones should be discarded.

I actually installed a new set of Lemforder bushings today, with the AKG press tool and took a few pictures for you. You'll need the Photobucket picture fix for your browser to view them.

and how it should sit all said and done.

Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318TI I6 Swap
    I wish I saw these posts earlier! I did get new Lemforder bushings, and they do not look like the Febi bushings, as the "ribs" are much flatter than the Febis. I pressed out the two Febi bushings (way harder to get out than the originals) and lightly greased the new bushings with moly. I am concerned about the bushing now rotating in the trailing arm, but I figured it would be no different that a heim/rose joint or any sort of spherical aftermarket bushing. I also assume that it will be better than poly bushing, as it will allow the arm to rotate correctly.

The new bushings pressed in easily without any drama.