Thread: Red bulbs for clear corners on 3/'99 US-Spec Touring?

My Cars
    2003 M5

Red bulbs for clear corners on 3/'99 US-Spec Touring?

As the title suggests, I'm looking to source red bulbs for the clear corner tail lights I just purchased.

I'd prefer halogen for less headaches, unless someone can point me to LED bulbs that are "canbus ready". I had bought some LED bulbs a while back for another E39 and they all triggered the fast blinker even though they were advertised as canbus rady. So I kind of have a bad taste in my mouth. The usual google searches don't return anything definitive or fruitful.

I don't want to bother jumping through hoops with coding, LCMs and such to separate the turn signal from the brake lights as this is a daily driver I may end up selling one day. I'd prefer to keep it as unmodified as possible.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
    Instagram: ​Ethirtynine

2003 M5 Sterling Grey
    (Weekend Fun)
    2002 540iA Schwartz Black (SOLD at 230K)
    1999 528iTA Titanium Silver
    (SOLD at 200K)

2003 530i/5 Titanium Silver (SOLD at 122K)
    2002 530iA Sterling Grey (SOLD at 156K)
    1997 528i Aspen Silver (SOLD at 269K)

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Unless you plan on installing a LCM IV in your wagon, no LED turn signal bulb will avoid the fast-blink and/or flickering. LCM IIIb will I think avoid fast-blink, but will flicker due to not being able to disable cold/warm checks on those lights. LCMIV lets you turn on/off cold/warm checks for every bulb pretty much, allowing you to use LED bulbs, whether CAN ready or not.

As for finding red bulbs, maybe look at some stealth bulbs. Not sure if they come in red or not, but maybe they do. They tend to be kind of pricey though.

- - - Updated - - -

Something like this might work: http://www.gp-thunder.net/index.php/...lth-bulbs.html

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Unless you plan on installing a LCM IV in your wagon, no LED turn signal bulb will avoid the fast-blink and/or flickering. LCM IIIb will I think avoid fast-blink, but will flicker due to not being able to disable cold/warm checks on those lights. LCMIV lets you turn on/off cold/warm checks for every bulb pretty much, allowing you to use LED bulbs, whether CAN ready or not.

As for finding red bulbs, maybe look at some stealth bulbs. Not sure if they come in red or not, but maybe they do. They tend to be kind of pricey though.

- - - Updated - - -

Something like this might work: http://www.gp-thunder.net/index.php/...lth-bulbs.html
    Yea, see, all that stuff you mentioned with the LCM is the hoops I don't feel like jumping through. I just want the clean signal euro look. I don't mind if the signal/brake setup is still US spec as long as I stay DOT compliant. But these stealth red/chrome bulbs you linked are EXACTLY what I was looking for. This will due nicely! Thanks so much. Cheers!!!
    Instagram: ​Ethirtynine

2003 M5 Sterling Grey
    (Weekend Fun)
    2002 540iA Schwartz Black (SOLD at 230K)
    1999 528iTA Titanium Silver
    (SOLD at 200K)

2003 530i/5 Titanium Silver (SOLD at 122K)
    2002 530iA Sterling Grey (SOLD at 156K)
    1997 528i Aspen Silver (SOLD at 269K)

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanassi44 View Post
    Yea, see, all that stuff you mentioned with the LCM is the hoops I don't feel like jumping through. I just want the clean signal euro look. I don't mind if the signal/brake setup is still US spec as long as I stay DOT compliant. But these stealth red/chrome bulbs you linked are EXACTLY what I was looking for. This will due nicely! Thanks so much. Cheers!!!
    You can also put amber bulbs and just change the coding for the LCM without buying anything else. Your LCM is already capable of doing that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    You can also put amber bulbs and just change the coding for the LCM without buying anything else. Your LCM is already capable of doing that.

I didn't know that. I thought the LCM needed to be swapped out completely. I don't know anything about coding theses things though. Maybe I'll poke around and see what I can find.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanassi44 View Post
    I didn't know that. I thought the LCM needed to be swapped out completely. I don't know anything about coding theses things though. Maybe I'll poke around and see what I can find.
    Yeah, only LEDs require new LCM

-Paul