Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another 325is turbo build.

My Cars
    93 325is
    Depends around 4or 5k

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    93 325is
    What's the cheapest place to pick up the cutring gasket and studs? Gonna be the first or second main purchase and would like to buy at the best deal I can. Then clutch. Already purchased manifold and have either hx35 or hy35 to use. After clutch and headgasket I'll buy waste gate bov gauges gauge pod and intercooler as money allows will hopefully have all the parts gathered over the next month or too.

My Cars
    86 325es
    A cummins with an hy35 is not making power at 4K rpm with an hy35. They run half the rpms with less cylinder head flow and a tiny cam. If you fuel a 5.9 enough to make 30 lbs of boost the drive pressure is going to be 50 lbs which is not going to fly on a gas motor with too much compression and not enough octane.

The thing to remember with a turbo is that they do not pressurize air. They just move air from the inlet to the outlet and if there is enough restriction somewhere past the outlet the air is forced to pressurize because there is more air cramming in behind it into the limited volume. So just because a turbo may make 30 lbs of boost on one motor does not mean it can do the same on another.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    95 M3
    I liked the 56mm HX35 on my 1.8L M10. A great little turbo IMO.
    WOT

My Cars
    93 325is
    I think it'll be suitable for my initial goals and it's free so I guess we will see

My Cars
    93 325is
    If it doesn't perform to my liking I'll just buy a s256 borg Warner like raji did his power level was about where I want to be for now

My Cars
    86 325es
    It will work good for what your trying to do. Hx35 is a good 400 whp turbo.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    93 325is
    That's what I figured next year is goo big turbo and 600 or so

My Cars
    93 325is
    Just want to confirm my thoughts but the reason ebay cast manifolds aren't used top mount is due to turbos hitting the motor. I could make a flange but id run in to room with hitting the hood unless anyone makes a flange to tilt it more upright. If not can anyone show me a simple scavenge pump setup I think I will do what butters has said but not quite sure on the exact dimensions he recommends to drill and tap. Or if anyone else has a simple bottom mount drain setup id appreciate the input. I was thinking since I will be pulling the motor for ease or doing the head gasket and manifold install and clutch etc I can pull the pan and tap it but I'm not sure what works best for you guys or if id even need a scavenge pump.

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    There is no "DIY/How To turbo your E36 guide", it looks like you want someone to explain exactly what needs to be done, and how. Not going to happen.
    Your questions have all been answered before, a little searching and thorough reading will be beneficial for you.

Right now you're all over the place having changed your mind half a dozen times already. Slow down.

My Cars
    93 325is
    I'm asking simple questions and no I'm not really getting answers to them you felt the need to reply and didn't answer any of the questions I asked. People said i shouldn't use the turbo I have that's it not really any other responses to the thread. And no I'm asking people what they have used and what works and what doesnt. The whole reason I'm asking these questions is to get this done and done right so it doesn't just blow up. Butters had comment on another thread about using a certain size bit then tapping for 1/2npt then running a scavenge pump but then some run vent tubes up off of a tee. I'm asking people who have done it for their feedback on what works.
    And yes id love to go top mount but the cheapest top mount setup worth a shit is 5-600 so I might as well buy the cast manifold off of ebay. And spend money on other things and just bottom mount it. This forum is to ask questions is it not? If not then I'll stop. Jesus.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ba114 View Post
    There is no "DIY/How To turbo your E36 guide", it looks like you want someone to explain exactly what needs to be done, and how. Not going to happen.
    I'm going to make one with a PayPal donation button cause that's a huge amount of time.

As for the drain. ..

You can drill out your drain plug threads 23/32 and tap it 1/2 NPT. This will allow you to install a 1/2 NPT male threads to 5/8 barb fitting. Easily found at home depot or anywhere. You can also get these in 45 deg 90 deg or whatever you want.
    If running a precision turbo, I have found you need to vent the line in between the turbo drain and the pan. This is so the oil has a place to go under high rpm situations and or boost situations when your crank case venting isn't 100% adequate. Symptoms of needing the vent are the turbo seals will release oil into either the exhaust (causing heavy smoke from tail) or into your piping to throttle body (causing your MAF to get coated in oil and intercooler to collect oil).
    Many members have had no issues and not need venting.

Make sure to use 10AN oil approved hose from turbo drain to 5/8 barb fitting.

10AN = 5/8

For those that don't know.
    AN is measured in 1/16ths.
    So 8AN = 8/16 reduced to 1/2
    10AN = 10/16 reduced to 5/8

If your running a low mount manifold like a 666 or even the V1 steed you may need a scavenge pump as the turbo just sits too low to be able to drain into the pan.

A cheap fitting to use for venting if needed is at Home Depot in the plumbing aisle. Its a PEX fitting 3 way tee.
    5/8 1/2. 5/8. You can just run a short line from turbo to pex fitting then from pex fitting to drain plug. The 1/2 you will run a hose up to a catch can in the engine compartment.

Others have used Y AN connectors. These are much more costly but safer.

I'll try to get a pic up. Maybe this clears up the drain thing.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 01-21-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    93 325is
    Thank you I couldn't Remember the exact bit size. And I know about the or fitting from my old construction and remodeling days a few years ago. I'll have to wait and see which manifold I go with hopefully I can find a good one for a decent price.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    What's your budget ? For a manifold ?

1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    93 325is
    Around 400ish id like to be cheaper to buy better monitoring software like the zeitronic system you recommend.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf36 View Post
    Around 400ish id like to be cheaper to buy better monitoring software like the zeitronic system you recommend.

I know you mentioned top mount. I personally have never ran one. The best option would be a used SPA IMO.
    They pop up from time to time.
    Don't worry about asking questions, from one aspect from someone who has been around for a while It can get monotonous. BUT this is a HUGE investment on YOUR end. I fully understand that you want to spend your money the best way possible, as you have a limited budget to work with. Some guys here money isn't really an issue, others it is. So DONT be pushed away, if you don't understand something, or are not confidant, please ask and ask and ask until YOU get the info you need, and feel good about spending your money.
    Its easy for us guys that have done this several times to spend others money real quick on the latest and greatest hardware money can buy. But, your the one earning it. So, continue on getting a good feel for what's needed before dropping hard earned coin.

Also, its easy for some of us that have built several cars to mentally picture and understand what's needed. But for the first timer, that hasn't built one, there is no picture and layout. So, it takes some time and sometimes some real good explaining for those to picture what's needed and happening.

This forum is filled with a lot of knowledge, for BMW FI its the best on the web. Extract from these guys heads till your confidant. Don't be scared to say "please explain who/what/when/where and why". You'll get it.

Its those that don't want to feel foolish, or don't ask that have or will be building or rebuilding for goals that a stock block can easily handle. Get a good grasp on everything.

1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    93 325is
    Exactly why I'm here you guys have failed and succeeded which is why I try to ask as much as possible. And yes I would like to go top mount but alot of reasons I've changed my mind. Cost. A rsi looks awesome but about 200 more than a spa. And I live in Arizona so it'd be even more hot on our 115° days so bottom mount is the better solution I will keep my eyes. Peeled if not I'll buy one new.

My Cars
    E36
    Have you checked out pricing with the Rapidpool?
    it came with wastegate as well

My Cars
    93 325is
    Another thing I'm wondering is are you guys running stock seats? The seats b in my 93is are Brest too hell and I think after the turbo build and I recoup some extra spending money I want to buy some braum elites
    But what do you guys run

My Cars
    93 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson501 View Post
    Have you checked out pricing with the Rapidpool?
    it came with wastegate as well
    I did but can't remember the amount I believe 600ish or so?

My Cars
    93 325is
    So backstory on the car to be turboed 93 325is. Previous owner made a drift car, I just that term lightly. I sold my mustang last year and was on the hunt for another e36. In a trip to Vegas I found this one good deal test drive ripping up and down the block, bought it for 700. Then had cooling issues but fixed the leak and it made it 600 miles home no problems. Then it got lowered and some interior was put back in. And here we are present day dealing with snow. Cars pottery much completely gutted aside from the front seats and the dash. Even the headliner and sun roof everything is gone it's pretty light doesn't like snow and ice lol. But for a beater I can't complain.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I'm going to make one with a PayPal donation button cause that's a huge amount of time.

As for the drain. ..

You can drill out your drain plug threads 23/32 and tap it 1/2 NPT. This will allow you to install a 1/2 NPT male threads to 5/8 barb fitting. Easily found at home depot or anywhere. You can also get these in 45 deg 90 deg or whatever you want.
    If running a precision turbo, I have found you need to vent the line in between the turbo drain and the pan. This is so the oil has a place to go under high rpm situations and or boost situations when your crank case venting isn't 100% adequate. Symptoms of needing the vent are the turbo seals will release oil into either the exhaust (causing heavy smoke from tail) or into your piping to throttle body (causing your MAF to get coated in oil and intercooler to collect oil).
    Many members have had no issues and not need venting.

Make sure to use 10AN oil approved hose from turbo drain to 5/8 barb fitting.

10AN = 5/8

For those that don't know.
    AN is measured in 1/16ths.
    So 8AN = 8/16 reduced to 1/2
    10AN = 10/16 reduced to 5/8

If your running a low mount manifold like a 666 or even the V1 steed you may need a scavenge pump as the turbo just sits too low to be able to drain into the pan.

A cheap fitting to use for venting if needed is at Home Depot in the plumbing aisle. Its a PEX fitting 3 way tee.
    5/8 1/2. 5/8. You can just run a short line from turbo to pex fitting then from pex fitting to drain plug. The 1/2 you will run a hose up to a catch can in the engine compartment.

Others have used Y AN connectors. These are much more costly but safer.

I'll try to get a pic up. Maybe this clears up the drain thing.

I can second this. Currently running a t4 spa with 62mm prec turbo. Fmic piping contains a smidge of oil. Nothing crazy but a simple vent line seems to be the solution.

My Cars
    93 325is
    Little update got my turbo cleaned up and almost ready just need to find a manifold. Welded the wastegate flapper shut in a few different places.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo

My Cars
    93 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    I have decide that's how I'll be routing it up and venting

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast