Thread: First time buyer

My Cars
    2008 Nissan Altima

First time buyer

I'm not too sure where this thread should be but I'm sure mods can help with that. I recently wrecked my car (08 Nissan Altima) and am looking for a car but specifically at used BMWs. I have come across 2 but I'm not sure about price and what I should be looking for as far as maintenance records and mileage. One is an 07 328i coupe for $7000 (price is negotiable) with 135k miles on it. When I asked about major problems and maintenance he said he always took it to a BMW dealership and it has never given any problems. The other is a 09 328xi with 102k miles on it for $7400. I know some models have specific problems after around 100k miles but I got out of cars a few years ago and have never owned a BMW so I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for in the maintenance records. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattShep View Post
    I'm not too sure where this thread should be but I'm sure mods can help with that. I recently wrecked my car (08 Nissan Altima) and am looking for a car but specifically at used BMWs. I have come across 2 but I'm not sure about price and what I should be looking for as far as maintenance records and mileage. One is an 07 328i coupe for $7000 (price is negotiable) with 135k miles on it. When I asked about major problems and maintenance he said he always took it to a BMW dealership and it has never given any problems. The other is a 09 328xi with 102k miles on it for $7400. I know some models have specific problems after around 100k miles but I got out of cars a few years ago and have never owned a BMW so I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for in the maintenance records. If anyone could help me out that would be great.
    A simple google search goes a long ways.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=600851

Overall the second one sounds like the better deal. For $400 more you get a car that is 2 years newer, less mileage and has awd. N/A I6 bmw's are typically reliable when taken care of. I'd definitely look into doing a coolant system overhaul and tune up just as preventative maintenance.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    +1 on the 09' model - seems like a much better deal. The most important thing you can do is get a full PPI (pre-purchase inspection) report from an independent BMW mechanic. This should give you all the info you'll need in deciding if it's worth moving forward with. Best of luck!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    M235 | M3 | 325Ci
    You didn't really give any details about what your are looking for in a car. But, both of your choices are I think pretty reliable daily drivers, with good BMW driving dynamics and some old school luxury. From what I know, the N52 engine is considered pretty reliable without any glaring issues (I am not an expert though, I have an N54 which has an abundance of power potential, along with an abundance of potential issues!). Without looking up any pricing on KBB etc., my initial feeling is the 07 328i is a grand or even two over priced, with the xi being priced a lot closer to it's proper value. But, like others have said, a lot of that depends on the maintenance history. If a seller has a well documented maintenance history they can provide, and it shows a well taken care of car that did not have a ton of problems, that makes a big difference in what I would be willing to pay....

My Cars
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Did a few google searches and asked a few mechanic friends and came up with a lot of "bmws arent worth the money" and "bmws are shittly made". I don't believe thats the case at all so i figured i'd go somewhere without the initial bias against the manufacturer. What I did find though was a lot of people seem to say the timing chain goes after roughly 100k but I'm not sure if those are due to poor maintenance or the timing chain itself.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    They are cheaper used because maintenance costs can be high on a 10 year old bmw with over 100k miles. Great for a DIYer. If maintenance costs are a concern stick with the Japanese or even Hyundai/Kia.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    From personal experience, BMWs are the ultimate driving machine, but they do have their quirks.
    l feel once they are out of warranty, they are best left to the experienced DIY'er.
    If you're looking forward to (Honda,Toyota,Nissan...etc) type reliability and maintenance costs,
    then I would not recommend BMW.
    If you're ready to get your hands dirty, and don't rely on dealership or other mechanics for maintenance,
    then you're up to the challenge of keeping maintenance costs comparable.