Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that I’ve had 2 e38s totaled, 3rd time’s a charm, right?!

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

Now that I’ve had 2 e38s totaled, 3rd time’s a charm, right?!

I scoured the country talking to fellow forum members and other owners. I missed out on Chris’s (Hillsberger) Impala Brown IL by about 3 days (his niece wasn’t letting go of that one after she got her hands on it). Thought long and hard about Joe’s (Chamberlin) Sahara Beige 01 in AZ, and almost got my hands on a 56k White IL in MD (Thanks to James (Coupenut) for trying to help me get that one). I had to fight the urge and not overpay CRAZY amounts for a 59k non-sport shorty in Madison ($9,500 and non-negotiable), and I ended up with this little lady who was owned by a legendary Rock n’ Roll front man in Beverly Hills for the last 12 years.

4/26/01 Build Date
    Cosmos on Black
    94350K miles

I also got to keep Bane (my totaled silver ‘01 740iL (160k)) which is actually repairable. I’m not sure where I go with him. I thought I was excited to see him go, but I’ve ventured outside my bubble and realized I wasn’t such a bad dad after all! I took pretty good care of him). If anyone needs any parts from a Titansilber over Grau, let me know. If I part it out, it will be quick and painful. One weekend and it’s getting scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Too many
    Congrats on the acquisition Anthony!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    1999 740Il,1999 Corvette
    I just had my third Jaguar totaled! I feel you. My Titan Silber 1999 E38 just keeps going. No more Jags! Now looking at a 99 Corvette roadster with 63K. Keeping the E38, might sell my 88 Mercedes 300 SE with 220,000 miles. Don't need 3 cars being single with no garage.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupenut View Post
    Congrats on the acquisition Anthony!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Thanks James. We’re getting to know each other right now. You get so used to your car that when you get into another one you notice every little thing. I can’t wait to get it detailed. I set up shipping so quickly that he couldn’t even get it done. I still haven’t even seen it in nice and clean in the sunlight.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by carnut1947 View Post
    I just had my third Jaguar totaled! I feel you. My Titan Silber 1999 E38 just keeps going. No more Jags! Now looking at a 99 Corvette roadster with 63K. Keeping the E38, might sell my 88 Mercedes 300 SE with 220,000 miles. Don't need 3 cars being single with no garage.
    Funny thing is the seller accidentally sent me his 64 Stingray keys so I have to send them back to him. He also had the keys to his storage unit on the ring. There would have been another set of M-pars in the trunk and backseat if he would have found those keys. The whole time they were hiding in the car.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Nice score! California car, must be very nice. Rock and roll front man eh?
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Nice score! California car, must be very nice. Rock and roll front man eh?
    https://*******/images/yjvBNb

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by armiller1 View Post
    https://*******/images/yjvBNb
    Link not working!
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Link not working!
    https://img.gifmagazine.net/gifmagaz...6/original.gif

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    I still don’t think too many people will know who he is.

My Cars
    1997 740iL, 350Z
    Congratz, that one looks great! I got a question for you on that topic of totaled E38s....

My wife's car is a 2008 VW EOS VR6 (only 900 of the VR6 imported) and we were asleep in bed while it was parked in front of our house and somebody hit it while driving down our street. Looked like pretty minor damage but that's all it took and the insurance says it's totaled. It's been a nightmare of a scenario because of it being rare car and the insurance only giving us a little over half enough to buy another one and us facing an unexpected road trip to Connecticut from Ohio to replace it.

Anyway, knowing my E38 is older and I'm sure the insurance would say it's valuation is a lot less than a 2008, I'm now scared to death the first fender-bender in the E38 and the insurance will say it's totaled and give like $1500 for it. Did they give you enough $ to replace yours with a similar one and not one that needs loads of work? I'm switching back to a better insurance company but still. I've put like $4K parts into it for repairs (fixed it all myself) and can't imagine having to go through all that again. All it'd take is some other driver causing a fender-bender and it's totaled and I'd be looking at cars that need full suspensions done etc with all the problems I've fixed on mine. Any advice since you've been through it?
    Last edited by Majestic7; 01-10-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    Schwarz II • heated steering wheel Style 93 Wheels • Magnaflow high flow cats • Bluetooth • Black kidney grills • LED tail lights • Aluminum throttle bushings • Bazooka sub • 39% tint front 20% rear • Ultimate Cup Holder • Ultra High Perf Summer Tires • Bridgestone Blizzaks •

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I still don’t think too many people will know who he is.
    Lol I am wracking my brain. I am not good with faces and names, only what kind of cars people drive.

edit: Figured it out. Never really listened to his music I guess. Cool though! Kind of like John Voight's K-car.
    Last edited by clarkitect; 01-10-2018 at 12:25 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic7 View Post
    Congratz, that one looks great! I got a question for you on that topic of totaled E38s....

My wife's car is a 2008 VW EOS VR6 (only 900 of the VR6 imported) and we were asleep in bed while it was parked in front of our house and somebody hit it while driving down our street. Looked like pretty minor damage but that's all it took and the insurance says it's totaled. It's been a nightmare of a scenario because of it being rare car and the insurance only giving us a little over half enough to buy another one and us facing an unexpected road trip to Connecticut from Ohio to replace it.

Anyway, knowing my E38 is older and I'm sure the insurance would say it's valuation is a lot less than a 2008, I'm now scared to death the first fender-bender in the E38 and the insurance will say it's totaled and give like $1500 for it. Did they give you enough $ to replace yours with a similar one and not one that needs loads of work? I'm switching back to a better insurance company but still. I've put like $4K parts into it for repairs (fixed it all myself) and can't imagine having to go through all that again. All it'd take is some other driver causing a fender-bender and it's totaled and I'd be looking at cars that need full suspensions done etc with all the problems I've fixed on mine. Any advice since you've been through it?
    I figured it was a great opportunity to truly value our cars so I know what I should pay for another one. Valuations on here vary wildly and I hear of people with really nice cars getting offers in the 2-3k range and others selling theirs for 8k. There are members in here that have/had fine examples of enthusiast owned perfection, yet couldn’t get 5K. So I asked for some info and here’s what they gave me. I’m in Chicago and this takes into account cars totaled within 150 miles. Hope this helps.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Lol I am wracking my brain. I am not good with faces and names, only what kind of cars people drive.

edit: Figured it out. Never really listened to his music I guess. Cool though! Kind of like John Voight's K-car.
    https://*******/images/64fNVT

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

Damnit!

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Just say who the guy (PO) is already! lol
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    98 740i, 01 540i
    Dont really recognise the guy, he from the 70's?

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey

I’d rather not put it out there so it pops up in a google search. I’m sure he or his publicist probably check that stuff, and he’s been cool with me.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkZ28 View Post
    Dont really recognise the guy, he from the 70's?
    Still doing his thing, I guess. I would say the 80’s, but I don’t think he ever quit.

My Cars
    BMW
    Congrats on the new 7! She looks great and what a fun heritage!

-James

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    Congrats on the new 7! She looks great and what a fun heritage!

-James
    Thanks! I’m not sure how many more Cosmos Black examples are out there. I only know of one or two, but I’m sure there’s more. I offered him the chance to drive it down Lake Shore Drive if he’s ever in town. We will see if he takes me up on the offer!

My Cars
    1997 740iL, 350Z
    I figured it was a great opportunity to truly value our cars so I know what I should pay for another one. Valuations on here vary wildly and I hear of people with really nice cars getting offers in the 2-3k range and others selling theirs for 8k. There are members in here that have/had fine examples of enthusiast owned perfection, yet couldn’t get 5K. So I asked for some info and here’s what they gave me. I’m in Chicago and this takes into account cars totaled within 150 miles. Hope this helps.

Oh wow, if they're saying a 2001 740iL with 160K miles is only worth 3.2K I hate to think what an insurance company would give me if my 1997 with 190K miles was ever totaled out. I know they've depreciated in value a bit since I bought mine in Sept of '13, which is all fine, but I've spent more than that just in parts. I never plan on selling it but I'm just worried about other drivers hitting it and not getting enough money to get another one that's in good mechanical shape. Hopefully it never has to happen.

Thanks for your info ARMiller1. I'm sure it was tough to part with two 7ers but I'm glad you found one you really like again.
    Schwarz II • heated steering wheel Style 93 Wheels • Magnaflow high flow cats • Bluetooth • Black kidney grills • LED tail lights • Aluminum throttle bushings • Bazooka sub • 39% tint front 20% rear • Ultimate Cup Holder • Ultra High Perf Summer Tires • Bridgestone Blizzaks •

My Cars
    2001 740iL Silver/Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic7 View Post
    Oh wow, if they're saying a 2001 740iL with 160K miles is only worth 3.2K I hate to think what an insurance company would give me if my 1997 with 190K miles was ever totaled out. I know they've depreciated in value a bit since I bought mine in Sept of '13, which is all fine, but I've spent more than that just in parts. I never plan on selling it but I'm just worried about other drivers hitting it and not getting enough money to get another one that's in good mechanical shape. Hopefully it never has to happen.

Thanks for your info ARMiller1. I'm sure it was tough to part with two 7ers but I'm glad you found one you really like again.
    I believe someone posted on here recently that they had a 98 which an insurance company told them was worth nothing. So unfortunately, I don’t think you will be getting much of anything for it. I guess that means I won’t either in a few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast