Thread: When Turn Signal Used, get 4-Way Flashers

My Cars
    1995 325i Convertible

When Turn Signal Used, get 4-Way Flashers

Hello. I have a weird problem with my '95 325. When I turn on a turn signal (either one), the four-way flashers go on. Sometimes intermittently, the correct signal will flash a few cycles, then the four-ways will go, then back to one signal for a few. This is very annoying, I expect that I am confusing others on the road with my erratic signaling.

Thoughts? Thank you!!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Not sure but It may have to do with the crash relay.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1995 325i Convertible
    OK, I found the Crash Alarm Relay and disconnected it. The problem still manifests (both signals flash when either turn signal is activated); the four-ways do not operate with this relay removed (probably stating the obvious). I am wondering if it is the Turn Signal Flasher Relay, but for the life of me, I cannot find it (even in the Bentley Service Manual), it seems this manual is pretty silent on the turn signal system. It sounds like the turn signal relay is in the steering column, but I cannot figure how to get the caver(s) off, I will keep looking... Thank you for the help.

My Cars
    01 M5, 02 330ci, 03 M3
    Country,

Here is the diagram you are looking for (just a quick Google ). I recently had some weird issues with my '98 328i's blinkers as well and changing the turn signal relay resolved the issue. I took the old relay out, smacked it around a bit and it worked briefly before failing again. New relay works flawlessly.

https://www.justanswer.com/uploads/L...03755_dist.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/101-p...-location.html

The cheapest place I found the flasher from was RM Euro. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I *think* Wehrle is an OEM?

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/6...G206-V214.aspx
    Last edited by Aeko; 01-10-2018 at 07:58 PM.

My Cars
    1995 325i Convertible
    Thank you. I finally found the correct wiring diagram in the Bentley manual and noticed that the turn signal relay is the same one used for the four way flashers. I will look at getting a new flasher relay. Thank you again!

My Cars
    01 M5, 02 330ci, 03 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBMW View Post
    Thank you. I finally found the correct wiring diagram in the Bentley manual and noticed that the turn signal relay is the same one used for the four way flashers. I will look at getting a new flasher relay. Thank you again!
    Hopefully that gets it fixed! And I was a little surprised it was the same relay, as well.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    I was having a really odd problem with my turn signals going haywire. My flashers were working, and no bulbs appeared to be compromised, but when I turned my blinker on, flashers would trigger sometimes and overall it was really odd. I replaced the front turn signal bulbs and everything went back to normal. Just a thought!
    1999 M Coupe Evergreen | 2008 E90 M3

Click the here for E36 M3 manual swap project!

My Cars
    1995 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Krohn27 View Post
    I was having a really odd problem with my turn signals going haywire. My flashers were working, and no bulbs appeared to be compromised, but when I turned my blinker on, flashers would trigger sometimes and overall it was really odd. I replaced the front turn signal bulbs and everything went back to normal. Just a thought!
    Now that's bizarre. If the relay does not fix the problem, that will be my next try...

My Cars
    01 M5, 02 330ci, 03 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Krohn27 View Post
    This sounds similar to my issue. I would use the right turn signal once, and after that it would stop working entirely. Left turn signal would work a few times and then sometimes it would stop as well. I could take the relay out, tap it with a screwdriver a few times, it would work for maybe 15 minutes and then have the same issue. In my case bulbs were not the issue but they definitely can be if they are not making a good connection.

I'll have to look at the wiring again but IIRC the hazards work by triggering both the left and right 'sides' of the relay at the same time. The turn signal relay has two smaller relays on a circuit board inside of it for each side of the turn signal circuit.
    Last edited by Aeko; 01-11-2018 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I remember people posting that there were cracked solder points in the relay, so they may be repairable.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 325i Convertible
    Well, got the new Hazard Relay from Pelican Parts. Installed this morning and, voilą, the turn signals now work. Piece of cake. Thank you all for the advice.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Right turn signals work but flash fast. All the headlights work too. Drivers side parking light on and high beam only...nothing with turn signal on. Checked bulbs no change. Hazard button gets me nothing. Flasher relay?