Thread: Replaced cracked expansion tank but light still coming on

My Cars
    02 325i

Replaced cracked expansion tank but light still coming on

I just replace my cracked expansion tank and went through the process of filling bleeding filling bleeding and then took the car around the block.

With the engine at normal operating temperature the coolant light is coming back on. I checked the level in the expansion tank and it was fine.

The tank came with a new sensor already installed. What are the chances that that is bad? Is there a way to test it without pulling it?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Check in the morning on a cold engine, fill to proper level-repeat for 2-3 mornings, all air pockets should be removed by then.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The level sensor can be pulled without loosing any coolant. You could just swap in the new one and see if the lamp stays off.

Also double check, triple check the bleeding, as there could still be air trapped in the system.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What brand are the new twnkbsbd the sensor?

My Cars
    02 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    What brand are the new twnkbsbd the sensor?
    Tank is Behr.

I popped the cap off this morning and the fluid level was showing full. Started the car up and let it run for a bit and the light came back on.

There is only the one bleed screw at the expansion tank correct? I cracked it and filled slowly until the fluid was coming out. Will attempt the entire bleed again tonight before I attempt to squeeze my hand down to swap out the sender.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Behr is the OE supplier to BMW for that part IIRC. Try this: After coming home from a drive, open the bleeder screw and see if any air comes out. Normally there will be a little, and then you will see some coolant. I have to do this a couple of times with the heater on MAX, and when the thermostat opens up, it gets rid of the rest.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    02 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Try this: After coming home from a drive, open the bleeder screw and see if any air comes out. Normally there will be a little, and then you will see some coolant. I have to do this a couple of times with the heater on MAX, and when the thermostat opens up, it gets rid of the rest.
    I took car for a spin and brought up to normal temp. Came home and cracked the bleeder screw but only antifreeze came out.

During test run the light came on, went off and then came back on.

Guess I check again tomorrow.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Humm, since you have only coolant coming out, and have normal heat, I would swap the sensor.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Yes, It seems the clue was obvious in your first post,
    "The tank came with a new sensor already installed."

Was this a BMW genuine OE or OEM expansion tank?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Behr is the OE supplier to BMW for that part IIRC. Try this: After coming home from a drive, open the bleeder screw and see if any air comes out. Normally there will be a little, and then you will see some coolant. I have to do this a couple of times with the heater on MAX, and when the thermostat opens up, it gets rid of the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydude View Post
    Tank is Behr.

I popped the cap off this morning and the fluid level was showing full. Started the car up and let it run for a bit and the light came back on.

There is only the one bleed screw at the expansion tank correct? I cracked it and filled slowly until the fluid was coming out. Will attempt the entire bleed again tonight before I attempt to squeeze my hand down to swap out the sender.
    Ahem....
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Thanks for exposing my obvious oversight!
    OP check for a dry and clean connection at the tank, as well as the wiring for breaks.
    I would also check if the movement of the red stick in the tank was smooth,
    and not sticking. Test it by having someone push the bobber down,
    while you check the dash light operation.(on a cold engine)

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Btw, the coolant level sensor is at the bottom of the tank,
    why would you "attempt to squeeze my hand down to swap out the sender"?
    Just access it from the bottom.

My Cars
    02 325i
    Replaced the sender that came worn the tank with the original and tested all good.