Thread: your opinion...Senna vs Prost

your opinion...Senna vs Prost

so its been so cold Im putting hrs in on YT.....lol

whats your thoughts on this famous crash?

I kinda feel Prost left an opening, but even if they had not crashed, I think Senna may not have made it thru w/o tracking out super wide........he was just so tight.....

Prost knew how aggressive Senna was, did he give too much inside room?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDAGmI6SH3k

My Cars
    1998 e36
    For '89 Prost admitted later that he won't "give in" the same way he did in 1988 season. What Prost was talking about is "giving in" like Nanini did had to lock up his front tires to avoid collision with Senna at the last laps of '89 Suzuka. If Senna won Australian grand prix then FIA would awarded him championship on appeal. Soon as Senna crashed out of last race FIA denied his appeal, like it wouldn't matter anyway. Bottom line Senna just made too many mistakes in 1989,

this isnt new news , but I know Senna was a polarizing figure..

...and the interview w/ Jackie S was very telling. You can have amazing driving skills and just be heads above every1 else, but you may not always be the safest to race besides or race against. Did Senna take too many chances, did he put his life in god's hands too often?....he was very religious. Im not so sure............Im guessing he was hard to trust on a track if u raced against him. 2 Stewarts could race each other, 2 Prosts could, 2 Clarks could........2 sennas?....Im not so sure...not even sure about 2 Hammys..lol

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    2 Maldonados
    2 Kvyats

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    this isnt new news , but I know Senna was a polarizing figure..

...and the interview w/ Jackie S was very telling. You can have amazing driving skills and just be heads above every1 else, but you may not always be the safest to race besides or race against. Did Senna take too many chances, did he put his life in god's hands too often?....he was very religious. Im not so sure............Im guessing he was hard to trust on a track if u raced against him. 2 Stewarts could race each other, 2 Prosts could, 2 Clarks could........2 sennas?....Im not so sure...not even sure about 2 Hammys..lol
    imho, racing isnt about being the most trusting out there. its a high stakes game of chess. its all about finding the right move and positioning yourself for it. many people can drive fast, not many can race. prost and senna were pretty equally matched there, but were far from equals in what got them to that point. opening a door knowing the other person will barge through, when you have no intention of letting him in never ends well. and neither does knowing youre being baited and still going for it. theyre both equal to blame.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    The problem is that many times Senna wasn't going into an open door but he was going into a crash. Many drivers, not just Prost, said that about him. It's one of the things I found most infuriating about racing in ChumpCar where you have a lot of people who don't understand how to judge full commitment and they "Senna" into the corner, at a speed and on a line they have no chance of maintaining. It means that they will necessarily crash into you unless you back off and give them room. Leaving the door open means you go in slower than you could have and they are able to go in side by side with you, and you both maintain your line. As Prost said about that crash, it was "his corner". That means he was committed to the speed he was entering the corner and at that speed, altering his line would mean going off. Yes, there was room on the inside but it was never going to remain there, there was no open door. Any reasonably experienced driver would know this. To me this didn't make him a great racer but a jerk, who felt he had a God given right to do it. That's no different from the fools on public roads, weaving around cars and the only reason they don't have a crash is because they depend on everyone else to do the right thing for their own self-preservation.

In a fair fight, he was not invincible like many of his fans wish to believe. If Prost was so much worse, then Senna wouldn't have to be pulling Kamikaze moves from behind to try to pass... because he wouldn't be behind. Mansell and Piquet schooled him on several occasions.

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    The problem is that many times Senna wasn't going into an open door but he was going into a crash. Many drivers, not just Prost, said that about him. It's one of the things I found most infuriating about racing in ChumpCar where you have a lot of people who don't understand how to judge full commitment and they "Senna" into the corner, at a speed and on a line they have no chance of maintaining. It means that they will necessarily crash into you unless you back off and give them room. Leaving the door open means you go in slower than you could have and they are able to go in side by side with you, and you both maintain your line. As Prost said about that crash, it was "his corner". That means he was committed to the speed he was entering the corner and at that speed, altering his line would mean going off. Yes, there was room on the inside but it was never going to remain there, there was no open door. Any reasonably experienced driver would know this. To me this didn't make him a great racer but a jerk, who felt he had a God given right to do it. That's no different from the fools on public roads, weaving around cars and the only reason they don't have a crash is because they depend on everyone else to do the right thing for their own self-preservation.

In a fair fight, he was not invincible like many of his fans wish to believe. If Prost was so much worse, then Senna wouldn't have to be pulling Kamikaze moves from behind to try to pass... because he wouldn't be behind. Mansell and Piquet schooled him on several occasions.

just look at 90% of the passes in f1 now a days. with exception of a couple of drivers (RIC,RAI,VET to name a couple) most just toss it in the corner and hope the other guy lets them through(especially HAM). My racing experience is mostly online since its easier to stuff a car in there, but my experience is you can find these drivers and know when they will attempt these maneuvers. If you know hes going for this and will lose a lot of time you can alter your line and give a false open door and quickly pass them and pull on them.

Again imho, senna was a better driver. But not the better racer. simply driving on the limit does not win races and championships consistently.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Just to add that during 1989 season Senna had the best mechanics and got the preferred upgrades from Honda. Prost just had the 'intern' mechanics and engineers, you can even notice that if you watch some of the pre race coverage from that year. Prost was frustrated with McLaren and half in to the season announced he will be leaving McLaren, then he got even less attention, after Japanese GP all of McLaren was against Prost. On the last race Prost claimed track is wet and just did one lap that contract obligates him and boxed the car. And after all of this he still won the 1989 championship, and was the only driver in Formula 1 history where his own team appealed their own driver's championship win to FIA.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    2 Maldonados
    2 Kvyats
    *shudders*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    '89 is Prost's fault, '90 is Senna's.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Juggernaut......

Im thinking I kinda agree w/ you overall. If you listen to the kool aid( Senna fans) he was the greatest since since sliced bread. But he did seem to make moves based on his "god given" rights...............he had an amazing skill set..perhaps the best ever........but Im not sure Id want him in the same race as me.....lol

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Why not both? Both are a***oles.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...