Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-Bernie F1 Thread

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale

Post-Bernie F1 Thread

I'll start this thread off with the news of a new logo to be revealed this weekend:

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish...nd-prix-podium

I'm not a change-adverse person, but why change that logo at all? It's brilliant, recognisable, doesn't really show any signs of being old or anything!
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I would wait and see what the new logo is going to look like, but for now I say don't change anything. There are far better (or concerning) things that need to be revised or completely changed.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    i would wait and see what the new logo is going to look like, but for now i say don't change anything. There are far better (or concerning) things that need to be revised, scrapped entirely, or completely changed.
    ftfy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
    ftfy
    And that too.

My Cars
    TBD
    Man the halo looks terrible from the T-cameras. just vrot.

Current regs say a maximum of 5 second for driver egress. Bottas only managed a 9+ second egress with the halo installed.

In 55 Ascari crashed into the harbor at Monaco. In 65 another driver did the same. The risk is there especially after watching the F3 crash that shunted the car 20 feet into the air. Webbers crash a few years ago where his RBR did a full flip after hitting the rear tire of a backmarker. Things can (and if the past is anything to go by) and do go wrong. Imagine flipping into the harbor at Monaco (or Yas Marina) and trying to egress with the halo.

The halo weight 14kgs or 30 lbs. All this weight at the same height as the driver's head. Really low CoG.

I hope the FIA regocnises this as not as good (safe) as they think and removes it much like the insanely stupid change to the Quali format that they removed after 1 race.

Re: the new logo. Meh. I'd rather see the F1 circuit not go to countries that promote indentured labor or infringe upon human rights. But yeah, that's not going to happen so how about including a support of slaves in the logo?

Manacles that hold the F and the 1 together, where the F looks like a old fat guy and the 1 looks like a malnourished child.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    ^ Dont forget about that crash Alonso had a couple back where he injured his back, allowing Vandoorne to get a start. Alonso got out of the car in a hurry and I don’t know if could do that with a halo.

Look, Indy didn’t have any rules requiring the wheels to be tethered to the car, whereas F1 has for several years now. It’s apples and oranges and FIA/FOM should be embarrassed by this crap.
    Last edited by m3fuz; 11-26-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Jean Todt won’t stop until F1 is a spec series, powered by production econocar hybrids, and bubble wrap replacing the aerodynamic packages.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    Jean Todt won’t stop until F1 is a spec series, powered by production econocar hybrids, and bubble wrap replacing the aerodynamic packages.
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Todt.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    The slide downward to an Indy spec series is well on its way. At least let F1 die peacefully, without gimmicky logos, etc.
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    1998 e36
    I said two years ago once the Bernie is gone, F1 will only last 5 years more

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Bernie was able to fight against the manufacturers pretty well, I doubt Liberty Media can.

My Cars
    TBD
    It seems Liberty want to give F1 their unique signature.

The problem I have with it is that no-one has properly identified (to my liking) what F1 is.

Obviously this needs to be identified from many perspectives and not just the fans or the media.

What is F1 for the manufacturers (what do they need from F1)?
    What is F1 for the engine suppliers?
    What is F1 for the sponsors (perhaps this broken into 2 distinct sponsorship types: Primary and tertiary)?
    What is F1 for Liberty?
    What is F1 for the FIA?
    What is F1 for the fans?

Until we identify all of these needs (and wants) we will never be able to come to a compromise that is satisfactory for everyone involved.

My Cars
    yay
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    I said two years ago once the Bernie is gone, F1 will only last 5 years more
    +1 F1 Needs a dictator. Bernie understood that. Liberty does not.

F Liberty
    F Todt
    F the FIA
    F the halo
    F the logo
    Last edited by xxxxxxx; 12-01-2017 at 11:00 PM.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post

F Liberty
    F Todt
    F the FIA
    F the halo
    F the logo
    And above all, as always, F Charlie Whiting. Seriously.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    F the stewards inconsistencies

-DNC

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post

F Liberty
    F Todt
    F the FIA
    F the halo
    F the logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneZium View Post
    And above all, as always, F Charlie Whiting. Seriously.
    F the stewards inconsistencies
    Well .... might as well say F F1.

I mentioned it once before that F1 is clueless and have been clueless for quite some time now, and have no real idea what F1 really needs.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

Not bad, but need more Alfa colours in there ...

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3

Not bad, but need more Alfa colours in there ...
    What’s with the high nose?

-DNC

My Cars
    TBD
    What’s with the high nose?
    They are using a old chassis to reveal their concept livery (the narrow rear wing, how thin it is, high nose, etc guessing but probably a 2014 car - coanda type exhaust). I love the look of the high noses.

That said, I don't think this is the final iteration of their livery. I think they are showing that there is plenty of space to work with for other sponsors.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    They are using a old chassis to reveal their concept livery (the narrow rear wing, how thin it is, high nose, etc guessing but probably a 2014 car - coanda type exhaust). I love the look of the high noses.

That said, I don't think this is the final iteration of their livery. I think they are showing that there is plenty of space to work with for other sponsors.
    Yeah, damnit, was hoping there was a return to high noses for next season.

-DNC

My Cars
    TBD
    Yeah, damnit, was hoping there was a return to high noses for next season.
    I love the high noses too. If ground effects makes an appearance again I'd love to see the high noses back again. But "safety"..... is what the FIA shouted about them a few years ago because they could spear the driver cell - even though they've mandated the new side impact system made of carbon fiber tubes. All cars have them today:

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Well .... might as well say F F1.

I mentioned it once before that F1 is clueless and have been clueless for quite some time now, and have no real idea what F1 really needs.
    F F1, it has sucked for years now, don't get me started. The "power units" were the last straw for me.
    I used to rise in the wee hours to watch practice, qually and the races from Europe religiously. Now if I happen to be up will tune in for a few minutes and watch the ugly cars farting around some awful street course before finding an old western to watch.
    F1 was in decline under Bernie's watch and continues to get sillier.
    I think I'll see if some of my old VHS tapes from the 3 liter era will still play.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Williams have confirmed Robert Kubica as their reserved driver and Sergei Sirotkin as Stroll's team mate.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    So we might see Kubica race again. Neat!

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    F F1, it has sucked for years now, don't get me started. The "power units" were the last straw for me.
    I used to rise in the wee hours to watch practice, qually and the races from Europe religiously. Now if I happen to be up will tune in for a few minutes and watch the ugly cars farting around some awful street course before finding an old western to watch.
    F1 was in decline under Bernie's watch and continues to get sillier.
    I think I'll see if some of my old VHS tapes from the 3 liter era will still play.
    Bernie had his flaws, no doubt, but I think we may have underestimated his role in at least delaying what has come to pass. He knew what F1 had to be: a show. Fast; loud; exciting - and it needed to be genuine in all categories.

Today, compared to just ten years ago, it's none of those things. It's artificial. DRS, ERS, tires purposefully designed to fall off, limiting fuel for no good reason. Forget the engines for a moment; the sport no longer feels genuine. That's the real problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast