Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Steed Speed Twin Scroll Manifold Spool Comparisons

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerbumm193 View Post
    That screenshot is running Manual boost controller, so i agree that drop is very weird. I will look through other data to see if it is consistent. That is a 5th gear pull to 150 mph.
    I am using a tuned Ms41 ecu. I am just logging boost, rpm and afr on a AEM failsafe gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see - well I had a quick look at the website for your boost controller, it seems it can also output log data.

I would investigate on how to integrate/open the logs from that as well to give you a better picture of what is going on.

If you're running the boost controller in closed loop maybe your PID needs some work to avoid the spikes and drops you're seeing, since after that all the boost seems to be quite stable. But without data to look at you're just throwing darts in the dark.

My Cars
    M3
    This is giving me some hope. I have a older style Borg Warner with a massive 1.4 T.S Ar housing, praying she can stay below 10lbs. Will find out in a month or two. My concern is 3.5" exhaust with minimal restriction, maybe I'll have to add a cat. Or 3...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    CES can keep its 1.45 9180 to 17-18 psi with an open 3.5 exhaust as I recall. Not sure 10 psi will be possible with a low back pressure exhaust.

My Cars
    M3
    Let me say it a different way, I mean I've got a Journal bearing big ass truck / tractor turbo. It's not a EFR, so we will just have to wait and see lol

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Yes, the slower spool could help. But it could also mean that in the upper gears where there is more load, the boost will creep as the rpm go up. Maybe you get 10 psi in 3rd at 7000 but if you do a top speed run in 5th you see 15 psi. Redline in 5th is harder to test, but the creep you get at redline in 4th will at least give you an indication. Let us know how it goes.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Running out of 5th gives me a tingling feeling in my tummy 😈

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Running out of 5th gives me a tingling feeling in my tummy 
    Especially when you have a 1pc DSS installed

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    With the DSS shaft, the tingling feeling usually starts well before running out of 5th.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    With the DSS shaft, the tingling feeling usually starts well before running out of 5th.
    I find that it's best to try top speed runs after just re-tightening the bolts - it's smoother for longer that way

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Glad to hear DSS makes the critical shaft speed too low across all sorts of applications. They kept telling me I was crazy and I wasn't feeling shaft whip on my S13, when it was clearly felt at 6700 RPM in 5th (about 140 mph with the final drive I had), exactly as the math would predict.

I went with a replacement Shaftmasters, and while they thought I was a bit crazy, I got them to make me a 3.5" aluminum shaft that put the critical speed above 8500 RPM in 5th, so I was good to go there.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    We can’t fit 3.5” in the rear on an E36, unfortunately. I have had 3 DSS shafts and have not liked any. But they don’t break and I have broken 2 stock shafts.

My Cars
    none
    Cool thread. I don't have a data logger on the street car but I have a Billet 6468 custom BW Turbo and the twin scroll steed. It comes on pretty good. What do you guys use to log on a stock ecu car? It's tuned by Nick G. Would be cool to get some data on that car but it's a slippery slope and that's why i leave that car alone haha!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I’ve been using the Zeitronix ZT-2 for datalogging.

I put the modified stock driveshaft back in for road trips and wasn’t planning on going back to the drag strip until the car is set up for it.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 02-29-2020 at 09:27 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    Cool thread. I don't have a data logger on the street car but I have a Billet 6468 custom BW Turbo and the twin scroll steed. It comes on pretty good. What do you guys use to log on a stock ecu car? It's tuned by Nick G. Would be cool to get some data on that car but it's a slippery slope and that's why i leave that car alone haha!

Dynojet run data.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    If its on MS41 you can use the post cat o2 wires to log MAP and wideband AFR. Use romraider logger to log it. You will have to modify the log def file to scale your aftermarket sensors properly. Logging is only 8-10hz but its certainly good enough for comparing spool setups and most troubleshooting.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345