Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fogs with High Beams on Mod!!! Write-up with Pictures!!!

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by giterdone View Post
    Omg, this thread is still going on? at least now it is for people interested in having this mod done, and not cockboys who say it is dangerous.

raoke, clumpy doesn't like pms, his box stays full. Even if you pm him, he won't respond, send him an email. He even has that in his signature, not to pm him.
    Yeah, thanks giterdone. I keep it full because I HATE the PM system here. I prefer emails as I can log all the correspondence.

And yep. See my sig!!!

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold View Post
    Yeah, thanks giterdone. I keep it full because I HATE the PM system here. I prefer emails as I can log all the correspondence.

And yep. See my sig!!!
    haha no problem. I love how this place never changes. It has been about a year since I logged on, and the same stuff is always happening. I also didn't realize until just now you had the DO NOT PM ME! EMAIL ME in your text signature, and the picture.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    ^ Yeah we been talking via email. Coot cat with a personalized car. I think its the small mods that really make the car, not just parts anyone with some cash can buy.

WTB: E36 ZKW Headlights, ACS Rear Diffuser,E36 M mudflaps front + rear

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by raoke View Post
    ^ Yeah we been talking via email. Coot cat with a personalized car. I think its the small mods that really make the car, not just parts anyone with some cash can buy.
    then you will definately like clumpy's. I swear that damn tutor needs a woman. all he does is mess with that car. if he isn't installing an official mod, he is changing something on there, and posting a DIY.

best thing, is he will always help if he can via email that is.
    -Chaz

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by raoke View Post
    Haha, thanks. I agree completely. But it sure would be nice to have a nice exotic car AND have it all fixed up.

then you will definately like clumpy's. I swear that damn tutor needs a woman. all he does is mess with that car. if he isn't installing an official mod, he is changing something on there, and posting a DIY.

best thing, is he will always help if he can via email that is.
    Pretty funny. I USED to mess with my car quite a bit but I actually haven't modded or touched it in over a year now. I don't even really drive it much since I have a bike now. And I've only been driving it lately since my bike got into an accident and I'm still waiting for the bike to be adjusted.

But you guys are right. I check my email often so I'm always glad to help with whatever I can. It's just that, since it's been so long since I even touched my car, I don't really remember what's what.

Thanks for all the props though.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Pretty funny. I USED to mess with my car quite a bit but I actually haven't modded or touched it in over a year now. I don't even really drive it much since I have a bike now. And I've only been driving it lately since my bike got into an accident and I'm still waiting for the bike to be adjusted.

But you guys are right. I check my email often so I'm always glad to help with whatever I can. It's just that, since it's been so long since I even touched my car, I don't really remember what's what.

Thanks for all the props though.
    Man, everyone is going to bikes. I want one, but well I cna't get one over here, and when I get back to D.C. I don't want to buy under Virginia Laws. Also since I don't actually "live" there, it will be a pain in the ass, when they finally kick my ass from active duty and I gotta move everything back to Florida. So I'll just wait.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Man, everyone is going to bikes. I want one, but well I cna't get one over here, and when I get back to D.C. I don't want to buy under Virginia Laws. Also since I don't actually "live" there, it will be a pain in the ass, when they finally kick my ass from active duty and I gotta move everything back to Florida. So I'll just wait.
    How is the law over there regarding bikes? I heard in Asia anything over 250cc is illegal. That's odd. So the bike I have, as small as it is (600cc) is considered "exotic" so to speak.

You could always learn how to ride a bike for starters.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    How is the law over there regarding bikes? I heard in Asia anything over 250cc is illegal. That's odd. So the bike I have, as small as it is (600cc) is considered "exotic" so to speak.

You could always learn how to ride a bike for starters.
    haha, over her ein afghanistan? no clue on the laws, I'm not riding bikes over here. The locals, well most ride scooter type things. I've seen a few bikes that look like real bikes. I just want to get one when I hit the states again.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    I'm doing this mod right now but the rear 2 screws are a total PITFA to take out. On top of that one of my bits fell... !!!!! I'm mad/frustrated.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    Got them out, trying to find the wires right but forgot to get a magnet snake to search for the allen wrench... eerrr

My Cars
    1995 Cosmos M3
    Everybody needs one of these things:

ex-1995 Cosmos M3 Coupé - deck spoiler / koni struts + shocks / x-brace / clears / unstaggered contours / yokohama avs es100 / alu thermostat housing / emp water pump / porterfield r4-s pads / gc rtab shims / bavauto ss brake lines / fdm / ie rsm plates / kicker sub + box + amp / sylvania silverstar lows / lamin-x / loc-tite'd opn / lots of refurbishing
    Retired - mason strut brace / jl stealthboxes / tms chip + hfm / s&b filter + outerwears / ecis heatshield / alpine 9835 + aux
    E36 ///M DIY & Tech - Door Handles / Underpanel / Coolant Hoses / Gear Ratios / 3.5" Intake / Lower Chain Tensioner / Threaded Starter / IAT Sensor / 24# Injectors

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    I need a snake one... having problems hooking up my depos too..

My Cars
    1993 332isSC/2000 cummins/07 r6s
    yea finaly found it!!

WTB.. 1)UUC 8.5LB FLYWHEEL
    2)K1'S 17X8.5 BLK OR SILVER
    3)UNDERDRIVE PULLYS

My Cars
    2010 535i 6MT
    Bringing up an old thread, had a question for the electrical wiz folks on here.
    From the DIY it looks like we are taking a wire that normally gets 12V+ from the high beam circuit and sending it to ground.

I understand that we are not grounding the 12V+ source, that is how the wire got fried, I get that.

My question:
    Is this a necessary step?
    If so, how on earth does that fog light circuit work?
    Meaning: why does a wire that normally receives 12V+ need to be grounded instead?

Only think I can think of is that when the high beams are turned on that wire is flipped from ground to 12V+...so it would need its ground to function like normal (ie: high beams OFF and ground coming from high beam circuit)

Thoughts?
    \\\Whitepower
    Previous: '95 M3, '99 M3 Cab

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    I think it looks great, and while I'm not in CA anymore, who really needs their high's on that often in LA? Late night canyon runs ftw. Good work and thanks for posting up the How-to! It's much appreciated.

My Cars
    2010 535i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbro View Post
    I think it looks great, and while I'm not in CA anymore, who really needs their high's on that often in LA? Late night canyon runs ftw. Good work and thanks for posting up the How-to! It's much appreciated.
    +2...anyone have an answer for the post before this?

\\\Whitepower

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    One side of the fog light relay coil gets 12V from the fog light switch. On U.S. cars, the other side is connected to ground through the high beam filaments. A single filament, when cold, has a resistance of around 0.3 ohms which is easily low enough to pick the 90 ohm relay without emitting light. The high beam relay applies 12V to the high beam filaments when you turn them on, and also the "grounded" side of the fog light relay coil. This makes the relay drop out (killing the front fogs) since it has 12V on both sides.

The mod people are doing is to disconnect the one side of the relay coil from the high beam filaments and tie it directly to ground. That way, no matter how you switch the headlights, the one side stays grounded, the relay stays closed, and the front fog lights stay on -- to satisfy the law in Germany and elsewhere. I hope that answers your question.

My Cars
    2010 535i 6MT
    Nice! Thanks for the detailed response. So the fogs, in low beam mode, are getting ground parasitically through the high beam light filaments? That is crazy! How does *that* system continue to work when HIDs are installed?
    \\\Whitepower

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    A little googling suggests a typical HID system draws about 70W. That should only add a couple ohms to the 90 ohm relay coil circuit and pull in the relay -- assuming the HID inverter doesn't cut out and still draws current at low voltages.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    A little googling suggests a typical HID system draws about 70W. That should only add a couple ohms to the 90 ohm relay coil circuit and pull in the relay -- assuming the HID inverter doesn't cut out and still draws current at low voltages.
    Yep, and a typical halogen setup draws about 110w, I believe.

My Cars
    97 M3, 99 Mustang GT, 56 Chevy, 54 Ford Prostreet
    sick i am doing this tomorrow!!

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    hmmmm

whats the point?

My Cars
    8/95 Cosmo E36 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Alpine99 View Post
    hmmmm

whats the point?
    One good reason is if you have Fog HIDs, so that they do not turn on and off all the time. (This is totally independent of if it is a good idea to have Fog HIDs in the first place or if it is helpful to have both Fogs and Highs on at the same time.)

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrav.Dreams View Post
    One good reason is if you have Fog HIDs....
    I think you need to come up with a better name as I believe "Fog HIDs" is an oxymoron.

My Cars
    Old, Slow Vert.
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Alpine99 View Post
    hmmmm

whats the point?
    I SWEAR you were reading my mind.

I saw the subject..like it was some sort of BREAKING NEWS.

Ive been driving in America for a LOONG time now, and I've YET to encounter some sort of special darkness that requires me to violate laws and have SIX forward lights on simultaneously. WTF.

If we combine this thread..with the "Piaa PLASMA ION" thread....the entire internet will be blinded.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast