Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fogs with High Beams on Mod!!! Write-up with Pictures!!!

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    This mod is not something I'd ever do, but I do appreciate it when people take the time & trouble to put together a DIY like this one, so thanks for the post, & keep us posted if there are any problems such as maybe wiring slowly frying after the you've used this setup a few times, or whatever.

Keep the DIY's comin'!
    Thank you! You're the reason why I continue to do these DIYs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
    What does this have to do with running fogs with the high beams on.

BTW what is the point of this mod? Remind me of these HID fogs I saw at a meet last night. Totally pointless, except for attention whoring/pissing off other drivers.
    Two words: Canyon runs.

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrav.Dreams View Post
    It's mostly for those people with HID fogs. So that they don't turn on and off all the time when you are using your highs.
    If you have the highbeams on, why do you need HID fogs? All they do is blind other drivers. Fog lights are for the FOG. They illuminate the area near the ground and to the side. I love seeing them on when ppl are on the highway, where fog lights are totally useless.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    If you have the highbeams on, why do you need HID fogs? All they do is blind other drivers. Fog lights are for the FOG. They illuminate the area near the ground and to the side. I love seeing them on when ppl are on the highway, where fog lights are totally useless.
    Because it looks cool.

But they're not so much for YOU to see but for others to see YOU.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold View Post
    Because it looks cool.

But they're not so much for YOU to see but for others to see YOU.
    Ugh :attentionwhore:

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 76 M2, 16 M3
    What the Letter M said. Thanks for the post.

My Cars
    Hadda E36 325i, 03 FZ1
    Canyon running, I can understand. If it's a dark night, and there's no ambient light, then you need all that you can bring to bear.

Attention whoring... that I can't get behind. Sorry. If you want attention, paint your car orange. At least that won't risk blinding other people.

Think for yourself. Question authority.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by M2Pilot View Post
    What the Letter M said. Thanks for the post.
    Ugh :attentionwhore:
    Quote Originally Posted by s0crates82 View Post
    Canyon running, I can understand. If it's a dark night, and there's no ambient light, then you need all that you can bring to bear.

Attention whoring... that I can't get behind. Sorry. If you want attention, paint your car orange. At least that won't risk blinding other people.
    EXACTLY. Attention whoring? I'd put huge stickers on my car and paint it a bright color.

It's something I like to call SAFETY. Also the reason why I got HIDs on my bike. I'm more worried about all the stupid drivers where I live that I don't care if I "blind" them. Which I don't since NO ONE has ever mentioned anything about my blinding them (or high beamed me).

My Cars
    Dude, HID headlights do light up better, I've no problem there. But HID fogs for canyon running? come on. fogs light up a 10 foot radius. At canyon run speeds, you'll never need lighting there. It's a pointless bling mod.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Dude, HID headlights do light up better, I've no problem there. But HID fogs for canyon running? come on. fogs light up a 10 foot radius. At canyon run speeds, you'll never need lighting there. It's a pointless bling mod.
    As stated before (many times), it's also for safety.

And I don't know if you should be stating what's "bling" or not "bling" in terms of mods. If that's your "318i" in your sig, it looks pretty "bling" to me. Not sure how the M3 bodykit fairs in the handling department (not to mention the mirrors or the side moldings. Looks pretty useless to me.

Anyway, quit ruining this thread and post your useless comments elsewhere.

My Cars
    Hadda E36 325i, 03 FZ1
    EXACTLY. Attention whoring? I'd put huge stickers on my car and paint it a bright color.

It's something I like to call SAFETY. Also the reason why I got HIDs on my bike. I'm more worried about all the stupid drivers where I live that I don't care if I "blind" them. Which I don't since NO ONE has ever mentioned anything about my blinding them (or high beamed me).
    Hm. Perhaps I misunderstood something along the way, I was under the impression that you were driving with highbeams, lowbeams, and fogs... to get attention.

lows and fogs should be alright as long as everything is aimed correctly.

Think for yourself. Question authority.

My Cars
    8/95 Cosmo E36 M3 coupe
    And I don't know if you should be stating what's "bling" or not "bling" in terms of mods. If that's your "318i" in your sig, it looks pretty "bling" to me. Not sure how the M3 bodykit fairs in the handling department (not to mention the mirrors or the side moldings. Looks pretty useless to me.
    I couldn't agree more.

Mr. M (ironic name for someone who says they are not after the badge name), your car does look nice. So how is it that I am being an attention whore, especially compared to you? Besides, there is nothing wrong with turning a few heads.

Quote Originally Posted by s0crates82 View Post
    Hm. Perhaps I misunderstood something along the way, I was under the impression that you were driving with highbeams, lowbeams, and fogs... to get attention.

lows and fogs should be alright as long as everything is aimed correctly.
    Who would drive with High beams to get attention? And if you are driving with highs on with oncoming traffic, whether your fog lights are on shouldn't be on the top of your worry list.

The whole point of this DIY thread is to show people how to get their fog lights to stay on. If you think for some reason this is not useful to you, then don't do it.

My Cars
    I bought my car with basically all of the mods on it, minus coilovers and an x-brace. If you want to buy all the stuff off it for me, please do. There's nothing wrong with turning heads, so long as they're doing so to admire your car, not because you're blinding them. HID headlights aren't that bad because they can be aimed low. HID fogs however, just throw their light right in your face. Clumpy, you say the HID fogs are for safety? Please. They do not increase visibility beyond 10-15 feet at all. While HID headlamps greatly improve visibility, HID fogs do not. If your highbeams are on, turning on your fogs is not going to improve safety at all. I've seen E36's with HID fogs and the only thing it accomplishes is annoying other people on the road.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrav.Dreams View Post
    The whole point of this DIY thread is to show people how to get their fog lights to stay on. If you think for some reason this is not useful to you, then don't do it.
    Exactly. You do NOT have to have HIDs in ANY of your lights.

I bought my car with basically all of the mods on it, minus coilovers and an x-brace. If you want to buy all the stuff off it for me, please do. There's nothing wrong with turning heads, so long as they're doing so to admire your car, not because you're blinding them. HID headlights aren't that bad because they can be aimed low. HID fogs however, just throw their light right in your face. Clumpy, you say the HID fogs are for safety? Please. They do not increase visibility beyond 10-15 feet at all. While HID headlamps greatly improve visibility, HID fogs do not. If your highbeams are on, turning on your fogs is not going to improve safety at all. I've seen E36's with HID fogs and the only thing it accomplishes is annoying other people on the road.
    As stated before, as far as I know, I don't blind ANYONE. They're bright, granted (my fogs) but they're not blinding. Safety in that OTHERS can see you. If you STILL don't understand, buy a motorcycle. They drive with high beams AND lows on during the day. Not to mention many have SUPER loud exhausts. You think it's because we like that? NO. For OTHERS to see us.

And who ever said I drive with my high beams and fogs on during city traffic? Only when no one is around.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    hi there, i looked over the diy but i have questions.

will this work for a 95?
    also when you cut the red/white and brown, which end of the red/white do you cap off?

also, if those are the only 2 wires you need to connect, why did you list the yellow/red and the other wires?

appreciate any feedback
    thanks

WTB: E36 ZKW Headlights, ACS Rear Diffuser,E36 M mudflaps front + rear

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by raoke View Post

will this work for a 95?
    also when you cut the red/white and brown, which end of the red/white do you cap off?

also, if those are the only 2 wires you need to connect, why did you list the yellow/red and the other wires?

appreciate any feedback
    thanks
    I'm sorry but I really don't remember. I wrote this DIY two years ago and tried to be as specific as possible. If it's not mentioned in the DIY then I don't know what end of the wire to cap off. I believe I did mention it though.

As for a 1995, no idea. Have you tried first?

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    I'm waiting on parts and more info before I dive into the mix.
    Any chance you know if depos gen4 hi beam take h1 and what stock fogs take?

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    i just did this last weekend. You don't need any parts to do it accept connectors. The part of the red/white wire you cap off is the part coming from the cabin (as said in the DIY) and you don't really cap it, just put some electrical tape over it. All you have to do for this DIY is put the red/white wire coming from the fuse to the brown wire and that's it if i remember correctly.

The DIY was great.
    thanks clumpymold

My Cars
    PandaShizzle
    Great write up mang! good Job!
    You can change your future, not your past.

Originally Posted by BoneThug
    holds the mystery of the panda show

My Cars
    M3 Evo Convertible

Question

Is this just a feature on American BM's? My fog lights stay on when I put my full beams on as standard?
    98 M3 Evo Convertible
    01 Yamaha YZF R1

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    Thanks for clearing that up. I bought some TAP IN SQUEEZE instead of the male/female ones the OP used. I think it will be cleaner that way.

I will attempt this mod this weekend when I install my hids. Thanks.

Heres a pic I found

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    yea that's what you need.
    the hardest part of doing it all is putting the fuse box thing back on. The torx screws are a bitch to line up again...you'll see what i mean. just don't get to frustrated
    good luck!

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Thanks for clearing that up. I bought some TAP IN SQUEEZE instead of the male/female ones the OP used. I think it will be cleaner that way.

I will attempt this mod this weekend when I install my hids. Thanks.

Heres a pic I found

Hmm, I've found those to be CONSIDERABLY worse than the male/female connectors. In fact, ALL the problems I'm having with my lighting stem from using those crappy connectors. I even cut a small slit in the wire BEFORE tapping them to ensure a proper connection and even then I still have connection issues.

I wouldn't recommend those.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    So I shouldnt use them to tap my angel eyes either huh...
    I have other questions, but Ill PM you as not to hi jack.
    Edit: clumpy your pm box is full!

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro

will this work for a 95?

appreciate any feedback
    thanks
    Yes it'll work on a '95. I've had it done to mine for about 2 years now. Looks nice. All I did was follow the DIY exactly to the Tee

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    So I shouldnt use them to tap my angel eyes either huh...
    I have other questions, but Ill PM you as not to hi jack.
    Edit: clumpy your pm box is full!
    Omg, this thread is still going on? at least now it is for people interested in having this mod done, and not cockboys who say it is dangerous.

raoke, clumpy doesn't like pms, his box stays full. Even if you pm him, he won't respond, send him an email. He even has that in his signature, not to pm him.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast