Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fogs with High Beams on Mod!!! Write-up with Pictures!!!

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    his mod looks great, and it has practical aplications. before you go ragging on him, consider that he has numerous diy's on all sorts of mods for the e36. probably alot of them have been stolen and are out on the net and he's not even getting credit for them. he's written alot of diy's that have helped many people. you raggers may even have been helped by one of his diy's and you dont even know it. if you dont like what he did, dont look at the thread, and screw off. good job clumpy.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by nightkrawler
    his mod looks great, and it has practical aplications. before you go ragging on him, consider that he has numerous diy's on all sorts of mods for the e36. probably alot of them have been stolen and are out on the net and he's not even getting credit for them. he's written alot of diy's that have helped many people. you raggers may even have been helped by one of his diy's and you dont even know it. if you dont like what he did, dont look at the thread, and screw off. good job clumpy.
    You tell 'em night. I agree btw.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Wow, you guys rock!

Thanks for that. That made my day.

I DO have quite a bit of DIYs on here. I plan to update them all into my CarDomain.com page when I get the chance (will be soon, hopefully). I also have several that I will (or have planned to) do (have all the pictures, just need to create the thread):

Rear headrests install
    UUC clutch pedal bushing install
    CF Trunklid install (VIS)
    Subwoofer and amp install to stock system

And I just did one for the "Tail Light Fail" fix.

Man, this thread makes me want to do more. Thanks again, guys!

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Lol no problem. I'll stick up for ya, because they had no real reason to bad mouth ya. it was like they were trying to b*tch just for the sake of b*tching. Contrary to popular belief hid fogs are good and useful. For daily driving or in the fog. They are the equivalent of HIDs to normal halogen headlights.

*psst* they're just hating on ya curtis cause your ride is tight. They jealous
    -Chaz

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by giterdone
    Lol no problem. I'll stick up for ya, because they had no real reason to bad mouth ya. it was like they were trying to b*tch just for the sake of b*tching. Contrary to popular belief hid fogs are good and useful. For daily driving or in the fog. They are the equivalent of HIDs to normal halogen headlights.

*psst* they're just hating on ya curtis cause your ride is tight. They jealous
    Haha, thanks! I bet if they all had three HID kits they'd install them rather than sell them. But whatever. It's all good. There are always going to be haters out there.

I appreciate the looking out.

My Cars
    So clumpy, whats next? HID Reverse lights? DDE's in the dome lights?

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by JClark
    HID reverses. Good idea. Clumpy you do a write up on it, I'll do it
    -Chaz

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Haha, I actually thought about that because people would high beam me AFTER I passed them sometimes. I HATED it. I was actually going to rig up an HID kit for my rear but with a switch. If it was hooked up to the reverse lights, it would only go on when I was in reverse. Not much control.

With a separate switch, you can turn it on when you want. I just need to figure out where to mount them.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold
    Haha, I actually thought about that because people would high beam me AFTER I passed them sometimes. I HATED it. I was actually going to rig up an HID kit for my rear but with a switch. If it was hooked up to the reverse lights, it would only go on when I was in reverse. Not much control.

With a separate switch, you can turn it on when you want. I just need to figure out where to mount them.
    Oh dude that would be great. WHen I drove up here (to Virginia from Florida). The last little bit in my M3 a little after Richmond. I had a "running mate" of a chick in a new body celica GTS. We were hauling ass thorugh traffic, we would trade off who was in lead (depending who chose the right route in traffic) One time. I weaved by a guy (really, for that chunk, it was open traffic) and he flipped his high beams on, I don't mean just flashsed, he left them on, so I laid on my brake. That is the only way I know to get back at a person who flashes me except flip a bird out my sun roof. But that takes a long time. If you figure out a way to fig up HIDs to the reverse lights, and hook them to a switch, I would definately do that. I would flash a person in a heartbeat. COme on curtis, think man. Do me a huge favor and figure this out.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    C63 AMG 507 Edition
    Nice...a little overboard, but nicee

But tell me...how long does it take to get a nice tan from those?

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by mobil1

LOL.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Oh dude that would be great. WHen I drove up here (to Virginia from Florida). The last little bit in my M3 a little after Richmond. I had a "running mate" of a chick in a new body celica GTS. We were hauling ass thorugh traffic, we would trade off who was in lead (depending who chose the right route in traffic) One time. I weaved by a guy (really, for that chunk, it was open traffic) and he flipped his high beams on, I don't mean just flashsed, he left them on, so I laid on my brake. That is the only way I know to get back at a person who flashes me except flip a bird out my sun roof. But that takes a long time. If you figure out a way to fig up HIDs to the reverse lights, and hook them to a switch, I would definately do that. I would flash a person in a heartbeat. COme on curtis, think man. Do me a huge favor and figure this out.
    Haha, yeah, sure. I just don't know how I'd even fit HID capsules in there as well as preventing the housing from melting.

Someday...

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by mobil1

Well, technically, you wouldn't be able to. Glass (which is what my ZKWs have) prevents all UV rays from reaching you (well, not ALL, but the at least the ones that darken your skin). A fact that MANY people fail to believe. This is the same reason why you can't get tan behind your windshield or side windows when they're up.

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    clumpy, the reverse hids to give people a taste of their own medicine is a great idea. im a james bond fan and one thing i've always wanted on a car was the lisence plate that flips over revealing a different plate, that would be useful at times actually, thinking about when i was a kid. i had a few iroc z28's with the 5.7L. back then, that car was the shit. i always thought of the license plate idea when i put gas in them cause you had to fold down the plate to access the gas cap, or was it the key hole to open the hatch?, been such a long time that i dont remember. but that would be a perfect place to mount hid's. behind the plate. you could get the flip down mechanism from an old car that used that type of thing, mount the hid's behind it, and then put some kind of actuator back there that would fold down the plate when you wanted to turn the hid's on, and the close it when you want to turn them off. really wouldn't be that hard, jesse james on monster garage has done much more difficult stuff, lol.

My Cars

I was completely kidding, but I love that you've actually thought of it. Put the HIDs in your reverse lights make a projector in there and aim them up into peoples eyes. That way you can just stick the shift lever in the reverse slot and blind the asshole behind you. GENIUS!

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    I was completely kidding, but I love that you've actually thought of it. Put the HIDs in your reverse lights make a projector in there and aim them up into peoples eyes. That way you can just stick the shift lever in the reverse slot and blind the asshole behind you. GENIUS!
    Hell just wire them to the reverse part of the shifter and also have a 2nd switch to just a push button. Like put it above your shifter or below it or something. Becasue I would wnat action while driving down the road, and don't want to even risk stick my car in reverse while moving forward.

But curtis, if you do ever figure out how to do it. Lemme know, I'd be glad to do it too.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Very interesting ideas fellas. But I wouldn't wire them to my reverse lights. Maybe the power or ground, but not both? It's just too much work. I'd rather just wire it up to a separate switch. If I need them while in reverse, just turn them on.

Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with. I don't think the wiring will be hard. It's just the place to mount them that's the problem. Maybe retrofit a partial projector or something back there?

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Very interesting ideas fellas. But I wouldn't wire them to my reverse lights. Maybe the power or ground, but not both? It's just too much work. I'd rather just wire it up to a separate switch. If I need them while in reverse, just turn them on.

Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with. I don't think the wiring will be hard. It's just the place to mount them that's the problem. Maybe retrofit a partial projector or something back there?
    Ahh yes, so are you saying wiring seperate hids back there, next to the regular reverse lights? I figured you might just replace the regular reverse lights. But whichever way you decide, would be cool as hell. I know if I can help in any way I'd love to (I really doubt I can though, especially since I'm on the opposite side of the country as you) Yo should try emailing Matt from Umnitza privately, to see if he knows any ideas he might be able to suggest. (that is if you don't know alot about HIDs and what not. But I'm guessing since you've already wired up 3 hid kits, 1 pair in a spot that NOBODY wires up to (high beams) you know a decent amount. But I've pesonally never heard about partial projectors. But I don't know much about HIDs that much.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Ahh yes, so are you saying wiring seperate hids back there, next to the regular reverse lights? I figured you might just replace the regular reverse lights. But whichever way you decide, would be cool as hell. I know if I can help in any way I'd love to (I really doubt I can though, especially since I'm on the opposite side of the country as you) Yo should try emailing Matt from Umnitza privately, to see if he knows any ideas he might be able to suggest. (that is if you don't know alot about HIDs and what not. But I'm guessing since you've already wired up 3 hid kits, 1 pair in a spot that NOBODY wires up to (high beams) you know a decent amount. But I've pesonally never heard about partial projectors. But I don't know much about HIDs that much.
    Well, I wasn't thinking of it being NEXT to it. I wasn't really sure yet. I was actually thinking more of on the lower part of the rear window. But then I'd need to find a way to conceal it. I don't think the taillights will support such a long bulb. I'll have to check on that.

Not sure what you mean by partial projectors. I don't think I need any help on this unless someone has any ideas on where to mount this capsule.

I do know, however, that on most taillights, there is one unused bulb. THAT could be used for the HIDs but I think it's the red section. Plus, it's too low.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Well, I wasn't thinking of it being NEXT to it. I wasn't really sure yet. I was actually thinking more of on the lower part of the rear window. But then I'd need to find a way to conceal it. I don't think the taillights will support such a long bulb. I'll have to check on that.

Not sure what you mean by partial projectors. I don't think I need any help on this unless someone has any ideas on where to mount this capsule.

I do know, however, that on most taillights, there is one unused bulb. THAT could be used for the HIDs but I think it's the red section. Plus, it's too low.
    LOL, you were the one who mentioned partial projectors. But really I have no clue how to help you. I'm bowing out now.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    LOL, you were the one who mentioned partial projectors. But really I have no clue how to help you. I'm bowing out now.
    Haha, I just searched and found that I DID mention it. I guess when I read it, I thought you were referring to half of a projector. I meant just taking ONE of the projectors out of the pair of ZKWs and mounting it back there. Too funny.

But those things are huge. Not sure how it would fit though. This will most likely go on the backburner since it's not a high priority. Not to mention highly illegal, I'm sure.

I actually almost got pulled over yesterday (that would make it SEVEN times in ~1 year). I sorta sped (really just accelerated quickly) past a car after making a left turn (got into the inside lane and sped by). Noticed a car in the lane perpendicular to me making a right turn into my lane. So I merged back into the outside lane, behind this truck (I hate cops following me). I notice the cop car FLYING in the inside lane now and he cuts in RIGHT behind me (there's hardly any space behind me but the inside lane is totally empty). I was thinking, "damn, just pull me over already". He followed me for about 1/2 mile on my ass. Then he finally just turned right. Phew! Damn cops!

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    LOl damn Curtis. You just really attract those cops huh? But yeh I did the same thing last week. I was merging onto the interstate to drive about 1/2-3/4 mile to get off on the first exit. Well people alwasy drive slow as crap when they do their initial merger and get clogged up in traffic and nearly get people killed. So as soon as I could I whipped out from behind those people punched it and got into the 2nd lane (if lanes are numbered as 1,left lane; 2, middle left;3, middle right; 4, right lane) well there is a cop (in an unmarked crown vic, untinted window and what not, didn't even resemble a cop car at all) was in lane #3 and was about to change lanes(into #2) as I'm speeding by him in lane 2 , so he has to jerk his car back into his lane, so he doens't hit me, and as I go by him he leers at me. As I went by him I got in the #1 lane, and then after I passed a car I started changing to #2 (as he was getting behind me in the #1 lane). Well then he changes behind me again into #2. Gets right up on my ass. I figure he is going to pull me any second now. Well my exit is coming up on the right side, so I change to #3 and he sits in #2. I change to #4 and he continues to drive in #2, I am confused now, wondering why he's not pulling me over; but I also see him on his radio. I merge onto the offramp and proceed off the interstate wondering if some ticket was gonna arrive at the doorstep of my house in floirda for my parents to receive and then mail up to me. But so far nothing has happened so I guess he was feeling generous.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    LOl damn Curtis. You just really attract those cops huh? But yeh I did the same thing last week. I was merging onto the interstate to drive about 1/2-3/4 mile to get off on the first exit. Well people alwasy drive slow as crap when they do their initial merger and get clogged up in traffic and nearly get people killed. So as soon as I could I whipped out from behind those people punched it and got into the 2nd lane (if lanes are numbered as 1,left lane; 2, middle left;3, middle right; 4, right lane) well there is a cop (in an unmarked crown vic, untinted window and what not, didn't even resemble a cop car at all) was in lane #3 and was about to change lanes(into #2) as I'm speeding by him in lane 2 , so he has to jerk his car back into his lane, so he doens't hit me, and as I go by him he leers at me. As I went by him I got in the #1 lane, and then after I passed a car I started changing to #2 (as he was getting behind me in the #1 lane). Well then he changes behind me again into #2. Gets right up on my ass. I figure he is going to pull me any second now. Well my exit is coming up on the right side, so I change to #3 and he sits in #2. I change to #4 and he continues to drive in #2, I am confused now, wondering why he's not pulling me over; but I also see him on his radio. I merge onto the offramp and proceed off the interstate wondering if some ticket was gonna arrive at the doorstep of my house in floirda for my parents to receive and then mail up to me. But so far nothing has happened so I guess he was feeling generous.
    Damn cops. You should have jammed on your breaks.

But why would he send you a ticket? And why would your parents care? It's YOUR insurance and car, right? I sure hope they don't send me a ticket. That would SUCK big time. I still have to fix my lights and my exhaust. They even put my exhaust is not correctable but haven't sent me a letter. I think I'm just going to go to the courthouse with my lighting setup as is and just say that I now changed from some non-xenon housings to xenon-approved ones. Hope they don't notice. I'm hoping they won't be as knowledgable about our cars and the fact that they didn't come with xenons stock.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Damn cops. You should have jammed on your breaks.

But why would he send you a ticket? And why would your parents care? It's YOUR insurance and car, right? I sure hope they don't send me a ticket. That would SUCK big time. I still have to fix my lights and my exhaust. They even put my exhaust is not correctable but haven't sent me a letter. I think I'm just going to go to the courthouse with my lighting setup as is and just say that I now changed from some non-xenon housings to xenon-approved ones. Hope they don't notice. I'm hoping they won't be as knowledgable about our cars and the fact that they didn't come with xenons stock.
    LOL. The only reason I woudln't want a ticket is because at the current moment I am on my parents insurance policy. I am getting off, but also it isn't so much as I would mind my mom seeing, but I woudln't want to hear my dad gripe about it Lol THey said your exhaust was unfixable? Like you can't pass emission tests no matter what you do? Hopefully the xenon approved thing does work for ya. Will be a positive light for you and your car for a change.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    Toyota Sequoia
    Thanks guys!

You guys are the reason why I even do these write-ups to begin with.

Clumpymold,

Just in time... Thanks for the 411 and for taking the time to spell it out. I say "just in time" because I got my hands on a Xenon HID fog light set-up from Umnitza.com and I was wondering about how to get the fog lights to stay lit when I go to high beam. The light control circuitry of teh E36 & teh E38 appear to be the same and I think this will work for my Baby car.

Thanks again...
    Simeon

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast