Thread: Creaking suspension sounds from rear area?

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

Creaking suspension sounds from rear area?

03 wagon. So when I drive forward and encounter a slight dip in the road I hear what sounds like dry rubber slipping rubber mount...I think. And when after driving in rain that noise is not present...not again until the underbody dries out. It's getting worse. Anyone know about this and where I can begin to look?

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Were it my car, I'd drive it up (rear wheels only) on a couple wooden blocks that were tall enough for me to crawl under the car, while my burly pal jumps up and down on the back bumper. If the noise is present, you'll soon zoom in to where it's coming from.

easy peasy
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Today it is raining..big time..here in the north east. The creaking sound has disappeared yet again. Rain seems to make this creaking sound go away. So I'm guessing the rain is a lubricant for the suspect in mind. I don't want to spray wd-40, or actually any petro onto rubber mountings. I want to replace the 'irritant' with new...and I will...I just hope someone can help me for what I need to look at when I have my car up on the lift.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
    Were it my car, I'd drive it up (rear wheels only) on a couple wooden blocks that were tall enough for me to crawl under the car, while my burly pal jumps up and down on the back bumper. If the noise is present, you'll soon zoom in to where it's coming from.

easy peasy
    Yes I agree...this was the first thing I did....oddly, the creaking does not sound. Today, I put my car up on my Bend-Pak lift for an inspection and an oil change. It's hard to tell if rubber mounts are an issue....there are many of them in the rear suspension.