Thread: 2003 BMW 525i overheating but no indication on dashboard

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525i Sedan

Smile 2003 BMW 525i overheating but no indication on dashboard

Hi! A few weeks ago I had a check engine light that I then checked the code for. It was due to several cracked hoses (and one by the second air valve was really out, completely broken). After replacing all the check engine light was reset and gone, however since then the car issues a puffing sound when turning off the engine and I noticed that just driving from home to the office (just 3 miles) it gets really hot to the point of I can hear the crackling sound when I stop the car and smells like burning metal. The dashboard doesn't show it overheating. No check engine light at all and the car is very responsive. It is now with 163k miles and has been the best car.
    Even without check engine light I'm afraid of driving really far or even damaging the engine. All the fluids are checked, the radiator works great and thus the fan too.
    can this be because of the secondary air valve? I didn't replace it (yet) because it is in a very awkward place. On other models I could just blow on the primary air valve to test it but this one is too down on the engine and would force me to take it out, so I'm begging for hints! Please help me so I don't have to be without the car for a week!
    Thanks for your input!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Leaking valve cover gaskets can make a burning smell. I don't know what the crackling noise could be. The secondary air system would not cause it to over heat if its over heating at all. Have a shop look at the car

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525i Sedan
    Thanks for your quick reply. It makes sense... I'll have the valve cover gaskets checked. The crackling noise seems to be metal contracting quickly due to the cold. This only happens after I turn it off. So, it is correct to understand that because there are no oil leaks and no check engine messages... for now it is safe to drive... correct? Probable next week I'll have time to leave it at the shop. I really apperciate your input. I'm an IT person that likes to do most of the possible work but I'm not an expert by far.
    Thanks again.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525i Sedan
    BTW, the heat sensors aren't showing overheating... I'm the one feeling the heat when I leave the car. It smells like overheated metal and the front of the car is really hotter than usual, but it can be just a mental issue, however I know that during the summer it didn't show that symptom... I want the car to last.