Thread: LTW Front Spliiter Brackets - Best way to bend back?

My Cars
    1999 M3

LTW Front Spliiter Brackets - Best way to bend back?

Does anyone have experience bending the OEM brackets into shape?
    What's the best way to do it?

These things:
    677302_x800.jpg

My Cars
    98 M3
    How bent are they? Both of them? Middle brackets bent? How did they bend?
    All signs point to buying new ones. They aren't expensive.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    How bent are they? Both of them? Middle brackets bent? How did they bend?
    All signs point to buying new ones. They aren't expensive.
    I'd have to take a closer look to determine how bent they are, but last time I checked one of the side ones was the only one that I couldn't get to line up with the bumper holes completely and was maybe 10mm off from the holes lining up at the top.

I already have a set of replica ones ready, but who doesn't prefer OEM?

$150 isn't bad, but 3x that is.

Btw amazing car. Mine is a sedan in the same color but not nearly in nice shape since it's 90% track duty.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie916 View Post
    I'd have to take a closer look to determine how bent they are, but last time I checked one of the side ones was the only one that I couldn't get to line up with the bumper holes completely and was maybe 10mm off from the holes lining up at the top.

I already have a set of replica ones ready, but who doesn't prefer OEM?

$150 isn't bad, but 3x that is.

Btw amazing car. Mine is a sedan in the same color but not nearly in nice shape since it's 90% track duty.
    Thank you! I'd love to see some pics.

These brackets are very strong. I'd consider the impact it took to bend them in the first place in helping your plan to bend them back.

FYI, the replica bumper brackets will not work with the OEM drilled rebar. The rep brackets are larger in pipe diameter, the angles are wrong, and the holes don't line up with OEM. I found out the hard way, very angrily.

My only suggestion that I can think of, and it worries me as far as safety goes, is a very sturdy vice, and maybe a winch? Seems super dangerous, but its more of just to paint a picture of how much leverage you are going to need. What was the severity of the impact it took to bend them?

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Thank you! I'd love to see some pics.

These brackets are very strong. I'd consider the impact it took to bend them in the first place in helping your plan to bend them back.

FYI, the replica bumper brackets will not work with the OEM drilled rebar. The rep brackets are larger in pipe diameter, the angles are wrong, and the holes don't line up with OEM. I found out the hard way, very angrily.

My only suggestion that I can think of, and it worries me as far as safety goes, is a very sturdy vice, and maybe a winch? Seems super dangerous, but its more of just to paint a picture of how much leverage you are going to need. What was the severity of the impact it took to bend them?
    I bought the complete bracket set, corner splitters, and tray second hand and found one of the brackets were bent - so I wouldn't be able to tell you the type of damage that caused it.
    Thanks for the advice on the replica set too... not good news but helpful. Maybe it only needs one of the sides replaced.

I don't take too many photos of it, but here's a watermarked preview photo at Laguna Seca from the first track day I did in this car: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fra...K2j_uqul8/view

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    youll never get it perfect. but i can be fixed. a pipe wrench and a vise is probably the best thing your going to get without spending more money then a replacment setup.

google bending fork. pipe wrench makes a decent bending fork for rough work. and truck trailer hitch points make a great part holder with the ball removed.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupé CSM
    Time as come for me to return to a Genuine LTW splitter setup. Back in late autumn the SMOG shop jammed my bumper in their dyno. Turns out that the brackets are bent, and my bumper hasn't fit on correctly since with the splitter. Furthermore, the wheel well linings need a swap now from them constantly falling out of their retainers. The first time I bought a LTW splitter setup it was Genuine. Second time around I didn't want to bother with the backorders and thought it would be nice to save a buck and help out the small guy at the same time and got a replica set. The tray was garbage and didn't last a day. The brackets however did until the dyno took them out.

The way mine are bent are a mess. It would be hell to try to get them straight again. And then comes the task of them being aligned... The smallest difference in direction make the bumper go all whack and it doesn't fit on the car correctly. If only I lived near my father, for I am severely lacking in the tool department myself.

So, some shiny new Genuine brackets it is! I should just hope my core support isn't damaged, although I had to drill this one myself so I kind of want to get a new one anyways.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    ^ Are all 3 of your OEM brackets bent? If not, maybe I could try to make something out of your Driver side or Pass side one (whichever of mine was bent)