Hi Guys, help would be appreciated:

After doing much research and having garages look at my car I’m about to give up!

vehicle: BMW X3 2.0l Diesel manual 2006 E83 UK model 85000 miles Full service history.

First and main issue: we bought the vehicle around 1 year ago. Was all working fine then about a month into having it I noticed after starting it would immediately cut out once then start and run perfect the second time... this went on every few weeks (winter time colder weather, I though must be bad glow plugs) as summer arrived the issue went away and was forgot about however there was the odd hesitation or judder upon start up and sometimes while driving.

Now we are back into winter (very cold this year) every morning the car starts and immediately cuts out. This is now happening minimum three times every morning after left over night. Once started it will run lumpy for approx 1 minute until it’s fine. Whilst driving the juddering and hesitations getting worse. In the last 3 months we are now having to top up the engine oil frequently... no smoke no turbo whine... and engine all seems good. Weather this is related or not we don’t know..

We we have had the car in the garages it’s bringing up 52 faults from glow plugs, throttle body, sensors etc. Basically every garage who has looked at this doesn’t know where to start and tells me to get rid!

So I have took this into my own hands and begun work myself.
so far I have replaced:

glow plugs
new glow plug controller unit
full service inc new fuel filter
new battery

I am now lead to think this could be a ECU fault (looking at similar posts with all the faults)

Thanks.