Thread: 540iT M Sport Shock/Strut Options

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5

Question 540iT M Sport Shock/Strut Options

Hi, all. Just finished with the rear control arms and ball joints in the '03 540iT M Sport, which were well gone at 70k miles, and am moving on to replacing the shocks and struts. The struts in the front are long gone -- that becomes quite clear when going over speed bumps. My question is, are there good options for shocks and struts beyond the Sachs OE equipment? To be clear, I'm talking about 31311096864 and 3521094057 per realoem.

I want to keep ride height and comfort same as stock. The Sachs shocks and struts are way more expensive than anything else. The only option that looks like it may work is the Bilstein HDs. I found this set https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...540it-touring/, but it states that they fit both standard and sport suspension. This doesn't seem right since Sachs has a version for standard suspension and one for "Sport suspension+lowered+ride-height (S227A)." Does anyone know if the HDs work near stock with the sport suspension and self leveling rear? Are there better/other options? Are the Sachs worth the extra money? If you have the touring m sport setup, what has worked for you?

On a related note, what other hardware should I consider replacing while I'm in there? The related self locking nuts, I'm assuming. Anything else that should be worn out at this point? Bump stop, etc?Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by schnell944; 01-03-2018 at 10:39 PM.

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    I went with koni yellow adjustable all around. (I have SLS) I also changed every component in the assembly because I also installed H&R springs. In other words I took the old setup out as complete unit and reinstalled new struts as a complete unit. The Koni struts for the sedan will fit the touring with SLS. I believe the part numbers are as follows:

8240-1156Sport and 8741-1372Sport

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    +1 for Koni Yellows. If you use them with the stock springs then your ride height should be about the same but for a fraction of the cost of the Sachs parts.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Thank you! I have Koni Yellows in our E39 M5 and have been pleased with them.

The one thing that confuses me still is that Sachs seems to make for BMW different versions of the shocks and struts for the wagon with m sport, wagon with standard suspension, sedan with m sport, and sedan with standard suspension. I can't help but wonder that there must be a reason they made these different versions but I can't seem to figure it out. What really is the difference between this and this other than 2x the price?

For what it's worth, places that carry the Koni Yellows you mention don't seem to confirm that they will work with an SLS AND M sport suspension.
    Last edited by schnell944; 01-04-2018 at 09:37 PM.

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell944 View Post
    Thank you! I have Koni Yellows in our E39 M5 and have been pleased with them.

The one thing that confuses me still is that Sachs seems to make for BMW different versions of the shocks and struts for the wagon with m sport, wagon with standard suspension, sedan with m sport, and sedan with standard suspension. I can't help but wonder that there must be a reason they made these different versions but I can't seem to figure it out. What really is the difference between this and this other than 2x the price?

For what it's worth, places that carry the Koni Yellows you mention don't seem to confirm that they will work with an SLS AND M sport suspension.
    Yes however they do fit.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvbimmerk View Post
    I went with koni yellow adjustable all around. (I have SLS) I also changed every component in the assembly because I also installed H&R springs. In other words I took the old setup out as complete unit and reinstalled new struts as a complete unit. The Koni struts for the sedan will fit the touring with SLS. I believe the part numbers are as follows:

8240-1156Sport and 8741-1372Sport

Hope that helps.

+1 I had bilsteins before and rough was an understatement. I've heard they softened them up a bit in the last 2 years but they broke 2 mounts in my 1st 540i on H&R's.

03' m-sport on sls, koni adjustable on all 4 corners with powerflex subframe bushings.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-08-2018 at 07:10 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    I purchased the 540iT Wagon from speed7 listed on the forum classifieds early Dec, it has Bilstein Sport Shocks with about 15Kish on them.
    List price for the 35-114093 (fronts) was $388 24-060967 (rear) were $220 or $608 for all four. They are about 2 1/2 years old, it takes getting used to them /on a flat road they are fantastic but you really feel the bumps in the road otherwise. I had a 1999 540iT with Sachs and definitely a different ride between the two. Not 100% going to ditch the Bilstines yet but really feels for me the best way to go. IM not a fan of the rough ride. Same rear shocks listed on Rockauto $110ish ea, for an original purchase of $608 I would have expected the car to ride much different than it does, would suggest if you can drive a car that has them, Rockauto has Sachs for $96 ea...and that may be the way to go...strut mounts were replaced but no idea if shocks were part of the problem.
    Last edited by SCRSUVS; 01-07-2018 at 04:11 AM.

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Thanks all! I’m looking to keep the ride as near as stock as possible, and it’s good to know the Konis will work. Will also look at the Sachs on rockauto. Thanks!

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I might look at the sachs "sport" for the front next time to save $50 but I haven't even tried to adjust the Koni's yet. I'm either lazy or just don't know what I want. Need: a switchable suspension with a switch like every other fun car has now. Highway, city street and snow/gravel. I'm sure there are kits... Screw it. It's not running the TT or the "ring" anytime soon. I just want control, a firm but not stiff ride and the ability to absorb the massive, award-winning potholes Seattle has been cultivating for the better part of my life.

As long as the ride doesn't bother you after a month, you've won.

My Cars
    528iT
    I'd say look into doing the rear subframe bushings as well, if they weren't replaced by the PO already.

My Cars
    1990 750il
    +1 for the Koni 1157's. I put them on the rear of my 02' 540T with SLS and stock springs. Did not change ride height much or that I noticed. Ride is much nicer than the Sach's that were on there.

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Thanks! What setting do you have the rear shocks on? I imagine it would be ok to leave the stock Sachs in the rear and just replace the fronts for now.

Also, I read in a review for the konis that there are different settings for the lower spring support? If so, which setting should work best for the m sport?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I don't think there are lower spring adjustments. I turned the adjustment knob full one direction and full the other. I returned it to center and left it there.
    My expertise ended there. I have no clue what a stock suspension in an m-sport feels like. By the time I get them they all feel their age.

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    I don't think there are lower spring adjustments. I turned the adjustment knob full one direction and full the other. I returned it to center and left it there.
    My expertise ended there. I have no clue what a stock suspension in an m-sport feels like. By the time I get them they all feel their age.
    +1. I also set the front midway. For the rear adjustment I turned them halfway as described in the install instructions.

My Cars
    1990 750il
    So I left them set at whatever they came at from the factory, I thought about adjusting them before, but on the Touring they are so easy to swap out, I left them at the default just to see how I like the ride, so far I like it the way it is so I plan to leave it. I have no idea what the out of box settings are though.

Quote Originally Posted by schnell944 View Post
    Thanks! What setting do you have the rear shocks on? I imagine it would be ok to leave the stock Sachs in the rear and just replace the fronts for now.

Also, I read in a review for the konis that there are different settings for the lower spring support? If so, which setting should work best for the m sport?

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Thanks! Will probably order front koni yellows in the next day or so.