Thread: New to me 745i bought from a great Board Member

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

New to me 745i bought from a great Board Member

In April 2017, I decided to take a shot at an e23 offered by Timgal1234. The way he described the car, the repairs that were already done, and the photos I saw all lead me to believe this was a good choice. After talking with Tim further we agreed for him to continue with more of the work that he already identified that it needed. I was in no hurry and actually went to get the car last week, just 2 days after Christmas. During that period Tim tackled various things from replacing some suspension parts, to replacing all of the water and fuel hoses, updating the fuel pump to the single pump version, arranging a headliner to get installed, b35 starter, update the radio, change the vacuum pods and blower motor, installed a crack free dash (God Bless him), and some other things. Combine that with the things he already did prior to my purchase, and the car is at more than a great starting point.

Tim is an outstanding person of very high integrity and is a great example of what is available as a resource on this board. He is an expert mechanic with more experience than you might expect with vintage cars from such a young man. He also was in constant contact with the ruling Sage of Bimmerforums BMW e23's, Hitman Eric. Lord knows there is not much he hasn't seen when it comes to these cars and he has a library of articles that he has written about various repairs. I can't thank these guys enough for the time they gave to what is essentially a hobby and labor of love. Add that to the insights from Jay, Justin, and several others just through their posts and this place is a wealth of information and support.

Now what made everybody a little nervous was it was always my intention to drive it home from Philadelphia to New Orleans. Needless to say just that goal makes you look at what the car really needs a little differently. We discussed everything that was critical and that could bite me in the butt if I broke down somewhere, especially in winter, at nite in the mountains. We went over every hose, light, brakes, cooling, filter, spare tire, jack, battery, heater and anything else you could think of to get ready. Of course that emphasis just made sure we had all the maintenance up to date and got those parts replaced.

I was able to get to the car for the first time around 7pm on the 27th and meet Tim in person. He took me to a place to get a good look at the car under the lights but it was 12 degrees outside. I took a quick look but figured it wasn't getting any earlier, I already bought the car, and I for sure wasn't getting any warmer so let's just go. I took him home, said goodbye and got on the road. I wasn't 10 minutes from his house when someone pulled across the front of me causing me to lock up the brakes and create a nice cloud of smoke and a near miss. You guessed it, now one of the things still left to sort is the ABS

During the next hour I cruised on the Interstate just listening to everything, trying to get the new Bluetooth to work, reminding myself where all the equipment is, etc. I used to import these cars in the late 80's, yes I was a Grey market guy, and was just being reminded about what was so great about these cars. Steering and handling were tight, save for the leather creaking there were no rattles, seating is always awkward at first but after a while you realize how well it's thought out. What I didn't remember was that the front window switches are next to the ashtray, and that compared to todays cars, this one sits really low. At the first toll booth I couldn't find the window switch so I was opening the door to give cash.

At my first stop I got some gas, and pulled up to the front door of the place to see if I could get the radio working. It was going to be a LONG ride if Bluetooth wasn't available. I got that figured out and went to start the car and...... nothing. Oh crap. Tried again,......nothing. Brand new battery and changed the ignition switch so that's not it. Jiggled the switch, shook the wheel, tried again, nothing. Now I'm starting to get a little testy. Called Tim and when he got on the phone I had just shook, jiggled, and moved the shift lever a few times and it started. We talked about it a bit and figure it may be a neutral safety switch but for the rest of the trip I was waiting for that to happen again but it didn't. I'm still looking out for it!

Anyway that was only about 15 minutes worth of grief and stress. I got restarted and I cruised to just outside Washington DC and called it a night. Got up the next morning and had a great cruise during daylight to Wythville, Va. where I stopped to get gas around 10am. When I got off the highway there was a Super Walmart there which gave me the opportunity to pick up a fuse for the lighter so I could keep my phone/GPS/Bluetooth server charged up. When I went to lock the car the real oh Crap moment happened. Of all the things we had discussed and prepared for, the key breaking in the door lock was not one of them. As soon as it happened I knew finding a key to an 85 BMW was going to be an adventure.

The key had enough sticking out that I was able to get it out of the door lock, but it wasn't enough to start the car. I went into the Walmart and as you might imagine, there was nothing they could do. There was a Lowes next door and they tried some things and no dice. I called my roadside assistance and they said they could tow it somewhere, but there was no place to tow it that would surely have a key except the BMW dealer over 100 miles away. That would be my last choice if needed.

I managed to google and get a mobile locksmith, James, on the line and when I told him my situation, and that it was for an 85 BMW, he laughed out loud, hard. I mean really laughed hard. I laughed with hime and after that he got focused a bit and told me if I had both halves that he could make a key IF we could find a blank. I went back to Lowes and Walmart just to check it out and no dice. At the same time, James is an older guy that's been around a while and was on the phone trying different places and different old buddies in the locksmith business. After a few hours that tow was looking like my only choice when James found a blank. One blank.

He had to spend the next 90minutes getting to it and then getting to me. When he finally got to me I had already discussed with Tim what it might take to get the Ignition lock out and that wasn't looking to good. I was thinking about that or the tow when James came out with a key he made in his van and I'll be a you know what, it worked. I couldn't believe it. He somehow found 1 key in rural America during the holidays and then took 2 separate pieces and made a working key. Thank the good lord for having some true craftsman still around. Even if they had a blank the two other places would not have been able to do it because the machine takes a photo of the existing key to make a copy. James at Blue Ridge Locksmiths would not give up though. He kept looking and searching until he found what we needed and goy it to me. Thanks James!!

It was now 5 o'clock in the evening and I finally got back on the road. After that it was really uneventful. The car ran like a top, showed lots of power, and got lots of comments every time I stopped. I found out that what I have to do now is, sort the windshield wipers running really slow, get the rear windows working, collect parts for a paint job, track down the abs issue, and a few others things that I'll detail in different threads as I start to work on them. In the mean time thanks to Tim again and I really look forward to working with him and everyone else on this board to complete this car. Some photos for you

IMG_1001.jpgfullsizeoutput_119a.jpegIMG_0999.jpgIMG_0995.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by espoe; 01-03-2018 at 09:00 PM.

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Good story.

Use the trunk to lock and unlock the car, less resistance in the lock. The drivers door has the deadbolt microswitch attached and a chunk of cheap pot metal that both can break. I use the drivers door on my car about 4% of the time.

Is the replacement key made of steel? you don't want to continue to use a key that isn't because the locks need more than a non-steel key can withstand.

Good thing you set out cones to keep that 8 from getting too close. He might not know your doors swing out normally and he might have put his car in the path of the doors.

Have you checked to see if BMW has replacement cut keys for your car? If the locks are the same, the precut key from them should work fine.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    5MzVJMpDQoS3OsPbTx3OeA.jpg

Coincidentally, the first thing the locksmith did was try to turn it in the trunk lock but it didn't work. I had forgotten about that option. Tried the ignition and it worked. I have not tried to lock the car since then until I can get another key. I ordered some blanks but you're right, the dealer could probably set me up if they can keep from freeking out over the euro vin# and model I do intend to use this car quite a bit so I was thinking a remote lock system anyway. I know Eric uses those on his cars.
    Last edited by espoe; 01-04-2018 at 01:33 PM.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Great story! I'll readily admit you're a braver man than I. Old Man Winter can be a moody and dangerous companion... Anyhow, glad you got the car home in one piece (well, with the exception of the key anyhow). That's a testament to both Tim's maintenance and BMW's basic ruggedness.

Old BMWs are prone to this sort of fun, your mindset certainly seems right for our peculiar old cars!

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Great purchase & road trip story.
    I too highly recommend a keyless entry, they are cheap and easy to install, and save the eventual key or lock assembly breaking.
    Locksmiths are the only way to fly for vintage BMW keys, the big box chain stores do not keep steel key blanks, and they are barely trained on using those machines. A locksmith will make a far more accurate key copy on a proper blank. Hell I was able to have a locksmith make a 'full access' key from a valet key that came with my euro 735!
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by DesktopDave View Post
    Great story! I'll readily admit you're a braver man than I. Old Man Winter can be a moody and dangerous companion... Anyhow, glad you got the car home in one piece (well, with the exception of the key anyhow). That's a testament to both Tim's maintenance and BMW's basic ruggedness.

Old BMWs are prone to this sort of fun, your mindset certainly seems right for our peculiar old cars!
    Over the months we talked about the drive and I told him if for one second he had any doubt I would put it on a truck and get it back. He kept working along and eventually when I asked him if HE would do it he said, "I don't see why not." Now we were in a good place. When I think about it though he had gone through and updated the brakes, cooling, climate, exhaust, driveline, starter, fuel lines and pump, struts, electrical gremlins, sorted the turbo and mixture settings, tires and wheels, .... It just made sense that if it was going to leave me sitting it would be something weird and that is exactly what happened. A broken key never ever crossed my mind. When he handed me the key I made mental note their was only one but I never thought a thing about it afterwards until....

Anyway I am certainly mentally good with the quirkiness of these old ones, just hope I can physically keep up since I go out of the country often. I do know actually using the car will more helpful in keeping things working and that is my intention. BTW and since you are an e24 guy, I will also be digging in to my E24 in about 2 months. 1985 US version, 52k miles. Perfect interior with sport seats but Bronzit, auto and needs paint due to clear coat failure. Sorting out what to do with that one. I have in my garage a complete m106 and 1/2 of a turbo set up that I could use on the original engine. My inclination is to just turbo what is there but I am not sure.

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    . I ordered some blanks but you're right, the dealer could probably set me up if they can keep from freeking out over the euro vin# and model

I bought a pre cut key from my dealer with absolutely zero issues, not sure why people still think its going to be some major PITA. Think it took about 10 days to get from Germany, I bought it a few years ago.

Talk to your local dealer parts dept, see what they can do.
    2000 BMW M5 Evolve Alpha-N Tune, Evolve Carbon Fiber CAI's, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Dinan Front STB, Dinan Rear Sway Bar
    2001 BMW 330i ​Dynavin N7 Pro

1985 BMW 745i 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's ("Build" Thread")(SOLD)
    1986 BMW 735i Getrag 265/6 Swap, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's, Euro F/R Conversion, 3.46 L/S Diff (Scrapped)

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Stock
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Eaton M112, 3.4 Billetflow upper, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors, Addco F/R swaybars
    2003 Mercury Marauder JLT CAI, SCT Xcal4, Stainless Works LT's, SW 2.5" Catback
    1996 Ford Bronco
    4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, MH1 projectors

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    BTW and since you are an e24 guy, I will also be digging in to my E24 in about 2 months. 1985 US version, 52k miles. Perfect interior with sport seats but Bronzit, auto and needs paint due to clear coat failure. Sorting out what to do with that one. I have in my garage a complete m106 and 1/2 of a turbo set up that I could use on the original engine. My inclination is to just turbo what is there but I am not sure.
    Same thought crossed my mind! Mine's an '86 5-speed in Cinnabar over Llama, otherwise exactly the same as yours. I thought about building it into a 645CSi for months, did lots of research, eventually decided to keep the E24 more or less stock. It's difficult to mount that big ole' turbo housing in the skinny E24 engine bay, let alone a decent intercooler. The M106 is loads of fun on boost, but it never felt "right" to match it up with an E24. Doesn't seem smooth enough, or something like that. Might be that I'm getting too old for a turbocharged car...

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    If you can prove the car is yours and it is not a € part that the US didn't like back then, lights, bumpers, TV receivers and such the BMW NA disapproval committee probably won't get in the way. Just the illegal then stuff really.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Over the months we talked about the drive and I told him if for one second he had any doubt I would put it on a truck and get it back. He kept working along and eventually when I asked him if HE would do it he said, "I don't see why not." Now we were in a good place. When I think about it though he had gone through and updated the brakes, cooling, climate, exhaust, driveline, starter, fuel lines and pump, struts, electrical gremlins, sorted the turbo and mixture settings, tires and wheels, .... It just made sense that if it was going to leave me sitting it would be something weird and that is exactly what happened. A broken key never ever crossed my mind. When he handed me the key I made mental note their was only one but I never thought a thing about it afterwards until....

Anyway I am certainly mentally good with the quirkiness of these old ones, just hope I can physically keep up since I go out of the country often. I do know actually using the car will more helpful in keeping things working and that is my intention. BTW and since you are an e24 guy, I will also be digging in to my E24 in about 2 months. 1985 US version, 52k miles. Perfect interior with sport seats but Bronzit, auto and needs paint due to clear coat failure. Sorting out what to do with that one. I have in my garage a complete m106 and 1/2 of a turbo set up that I could use on the original engine. My inclination is to just turbo what is there but I am not sure.
    Good to hear from another e23/e24 guy.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    I think like so many things in life it depends entirely on who is working at the local dealer, if they know their ass from a hole in the ground and care to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    I bought a pre cut key from my dealer with absolutely zero issues, not sure why people still think its going to be some major PITA. Think it took about 10 days to get from Germany, I bought it a few years ago.

Talk to your local dealer parts dept, see what they can do.
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet