Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off topic, but...

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Man I forgot about that guy. I remember reading Bstar's posts when I first got on here.

To be fair, it's a two way street. There was a lot of back and forth from all sides. Everyone needed to stroke their ego, and to me as an outsider, it seemed like the "old guard" was particularly sensitive to it.

Coming from my 80's Mustang forum at the time, it was such a different environment, because over there, the passion was just as high but everyone was helpful and respectful. Their main irritation was people not SAVING cars. I was barely driving when I joined that forum to fix up my dad's 85 GT, and I was treated there like everyone else, including those that had been working on cars 50+ years. They could rebuild an engine blind-folded, and I was trying to learn how a carburetor worked. Everything I know -- all the basics and concepts -- about cars I learned from that forum.

When I inherited my current E38, I started spending more time over here, and the difference in attitude and environment was immediately apparent. People would spat and argue over the stupidest stuff. I read and lurked a lot before making my first post, just to learn the group and know what to say and not to say. I remember even posting about how ridiculous it was.

And you know what? I'd say it is a better, more welcoming environment now for members than it was back then. There are members across the whole spectrum of knowledge and experience, so it is important for everyone to remember that. This place has become a great place for new and old members alike to share and learn. I still learn stuff all the time, and I feel like THAT'S the attitude to have. Crazy to think I've been coming on here for 12 years. And it's interesting to reflect back over those years and the members.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Wow that's incredible, to me this has been the better car forum of all the others I've been on. But you can see by my join date why I would think that! =D

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Racer I would have to agree - I've only been on here about 18 months, and although it's not the MOST active forum I've ever been on (and all forums are trending down now) it's by far the most congenial. I've had lots of fun BS-ing etc on other forums but everyone here I've interacted with has been very helpful and totally cool, and it's certainly appreciated.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    I remember MayorChuck helping me when I posted my first problem with the e38 - some 10 years ago. People have always been constructive and helpful, even when I asked fairly stupid questions that i should have answered for myself. At one point I couldn't keep up with the volume of posts and slacked off, but I have more time and am back more. I hate the silly fights (that happen on all boards and cause the some to quit in disgust), but most people on here been great. (I once asked one question on a fireplace board - about my fireplace not putting the e38 in the fireplace - and the rude, snaky reply was such that I never went back.) Lets keep up the good work. Grady

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12