Thread: Boosting my 1997 328i convertible

My Cars
    1997 328i

Boosting my 1997 328i convertible

I’ve owned my e36 about 4 months and I’m already getting the itch to boost it, but as I’m new to working with motors I could use some help with what I should look for, and how to install everything. I’m looking for about 350 hp maybe more maybe less by the end. I’d really appreciate any help
    Last edited by SammywiththeE36; 01-02-2018 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by SammywiththeE36 View Post
    I’ve owned my e36 about 4 months and I’m already getting the itch to boost it, but as I’m new to working with motors I could use some help with what I should look for, and how to install everything. I’m looking for about 350 hp maybe more maybe less by the end. I’d really appreciate any help
    There is lots of information in the build threads in the forum. I would start reading by reading them from the start or some of the other first time build threads near the top right now. There is a bunch of first time threads popping up now from myself and others, so it might make sense to not flood the forum too much. Then you can ask some specific questions in your thread if you have some.

Overall, you will need a tune, manifold, turbo, intercooler , bov and wastegate, and possibly a head gasket/ spacer. If you have e85 you might be able to reach your power goals without opening the engine.

Also, look in the forced induction sub-forum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drstuess; 01-03-2018 at 08:43 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i Built M50
    Okay so if youre not too mechanically inclined. boosting a car that is NA will feel very overwhelming . But to help get a CX racing top mount turbo kit , dw injectors, dw fuel pump, a fuel pressure regulatot new radiator , electric fans , and clutch fan delete, a 6 puck clutch with a new fly wheel , & a miller war chip . Voila you have a pieced together turbo kit . Just be very weary of your engines health . Before attempting to boost a stock motor.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Done right it costs a lot more than the boxes of universal cheap parts on eBay. Done right, a turbo E36 is great. Many spend $4k to $6k on parts, and DIY the labor. In the 13 years that I have been following forced induction E36 (I have had superchargers or turbos for 12 years on my E36 M3), I have not seen any good $2k or $3k systems, but maybe there are some on Facebook forums or elsewhere. It is certainly possible if your fabrication and tuning skills are up there.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by romg424 View Post
    Okay so if youre not too mechanically inclined. boosting a car that is NA will feel very overwhelming . But to help get a CX racing top mount turbo kit , dw injectors, dw fuel pump, a fuel pressure regulatot new radiator , electric fans , and clutch fan delete, a 6 puck clutch with a new fly wheel , & a miller war chip . Voila you have a pieced together turbo kit . Just be very weary of your engines health . Before attempting to boost a stock motor.
    My engine is only at 103k and is great condition my only fear with boosting the car is that I’m entering a field I’ve never seen or have anyone with any experience in I’m mostly looking for 350-400 hp and idc what that takes I’m just wanting some loud bangs and some fun

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Done right it costs a lot more than the boxes of universal cheap parts on eBay. Done right, a turbo E36 is great. Many spend $4k to $6k on parts, and DIY the labor. In the 13 years that I have been following forced induction E36 (I have had superchargers or turbos for 12 years on my E36 M3), I have not seen any good $2k or $3k systems, but maybe there are some on Facebook forums or elsewhere. It is certainly possible if your fabrication and tuning skills are up there.
    I appreciate you being helpful and not bashing me for being new I’m only 17 and this is my second car and at 17 I already own my dream car and is the greatest thing ever and i just want some loud bangs and fun

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    I’ve owned my e36 about 4 months and I’m already getting the itch to boost it

I’m only 17 and this is my second car and at 17 I already own my dream car
    Please, for the sake of your own future, and your cars, Own your car for a few more years, and learn how it handles in extreme situations. LAst kid who boosted his 328i at your age ended up with very impressive power, But VERY SHORTLY AFTER went into a wall head on, shattered both arms and eneded up almost completely immobilized for about a year. He was chasing 8's in the 1/4.

Boost at your own risk, kid.

His build thread is here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...i-Build-Thread
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 01-09-2018 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Please, for the sake of your own future, and your cars, Own your car for a few more years, and learn how it handles in extreme situations. LAst kid who boosted his 328i at your age ended up with very impressive power, But VERY SHORTLY AFTER went into a wall head on, shattered both arms and eneded up almost completely immobilized for about a year. He was chasing 8's in the 1/4.

Boost at your own risk, kid.

His build thread is here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...i-Build-Thread
    I lost two friends to a serious car accident two years ago I’m not looking to chase 8’s wich would be amazing I’m just looking for a car to take to meets that looks great and can back up the looks with how it performs thank you for the help and I’m very appreciative to part of such an amazing community

My Cars
    1998 E36 323is
    I have a 98 323is and my whole build was around 5k for my parts
    E36 323is Turbo Build
    - rktunes OBD2 m5x $1500
    - Cxracing Kit $1678.95
    - Fix stage 3 clutch $386.98
    - MLS head gasket .140 $242.03
    - ARP head studs $207.99
    - AEM AFR gauge $131.90
    - AEM Boost gauge $165.01
    - Walboro 255 fuel pump $140
    - Head machined $100-150

There’s a few things I still want to get later on for it but this is just a quick peak into pricing and parts, I’m looking to push around 15psi. Only reason I haven’t boosted it yet is cuz I’m just waiting to do it during the winter. Also looking for around 400whp