Thread: E39 Facelift Headlight Cover Replacement

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed

E39 Facelift Headlight Cover Replacement

The other day I received some new headlight covers in the mail with the clear side marker. My old covers are in good shape, but have the orange/yellow turn signal plastic, which imo doesn’t look very good. I saw a previous post with incredible detail about replacing the adjusters, but they are reusing the old covers. My question is, if I am replacing the covers, do I need to add/replace the sealer? I understand that there will be some left over sealant on the body of the headlight after heating and removing the old cover, but is this enough to prevent fogging? If i need to use extra sealer, what would you recommend? (preferably something relatively common) Thanks!
    Last edited by shogun; 01-02-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: changed color, as unreadable

My Cars
    z3
    re-seal with black silicone or butyl rubber

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed
    Ok thanks! I’ll see what I can find

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed
    Well yesterday I managed to get the right headlight apart, and put the new cover on with no problem. There even seemed to be plenty of sealant left over, so I didn’t bother resealing it (partially because I didn’t have silicone on hand at the time). However, the left headlight did not want to come apart, even after raising the oven from 200°F to 220°F. I heard about some being held on by epoxy, but I thought this was only ones with the black circle on the top of the cover (mine were both clear). Also, the sealant looked like solicone, so I’m not sure why it didn’t come off. Anyone have a suggestion for how to get the cover off? My guess is to use a heat gun on a hotter setting, and only heat up around the seal instead of putting the whole thing in the oven at a lower heat. I also found a fun surprise in both of the headlights: shattered white plastic meaning I’ll have to do the adjusters here soon.