Thread: Feal suspension question

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe

Feal suspension question

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any experience with feal suspension with the true rear coil option, we installed a set today (ordered as the drift spec ones, 8k front 5k rear) and I feel like something is wrong. The car is fully dumped when it’s on the ground and there’s only roughly 1” of thread in the lower perch mount (didn’t feel safe to have much less thread than that in there?) so I can’t just raise the car, but I have maybe 1.5–2” of travel before the trailing arm hits the chassis. Is this normal? I feel like my bc coilover bodies are way longer than the feal ones, but mine also aren’t true rear coils so maybe that’s difference in length?(shouldn’t be but I have no other explanation)

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I have nothing useful to add except I've never seen anyone with a BMW run Feal. I wonder if this is their first true set and it's not done with R&D

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I’d assume it’s not as a few people have it on e36’s and didn’t seem to have issues, gonna send a bunch of pics out and see what feal says

My Cars
    98 328is
    i think Micah Diaz has/had feal on his E36

My Cars
    none
    id contact them and make sure that the spring lengths are correct. Maybe the wrong ones were sent accidently with the swift option? doesn't sound right, I ordered 4in springs for my factory style setup because my over fenders are radiused and the rear needs to sit lower and it sounds like my upper arm is the same highs as yours.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Personally I don't really see any concrete advantage to a "True" Coil over setup in the rear other than the option to have a lighter aftermarket upper control arm but even then its not much of an improvement in un-sprung weight.

Is there any adjustment left in the spring perch or is that fully preloaded?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    Personally I don't really see any concrete advantage to a "True" Coil over setup in the rear other than the option to have a lighter aftermarket upper control arm but even then its not much of an improvement in un-sprung weight.

Is there any adjustment left in the spring perch or is that fully preloaded?
    And you wont snap RUCAs.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    And you wont snap RUCAs.
    You're just bitter lol. Get E36 ones. Be happy.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I pm’d Micah Diaz the other day since he now has em on his e46. The spring length doesn’t matter with these, the preload on the spring is correct and all that, I could thread the lower mount out a bit more but it seems sketchy to have less than 1” threaded together with that style of strut. Looking at tyler page-howells setup it looks like the lower mount is longer on his so I’m wondering if these are the feal equivillant If bc racing’s “extreme low” series..

As for the true coil vs stock style rear coilover, when I ordered my bc’s I asked Chelsea about the advantages of either and he said “unless you’re trying to clear some sort of quick change rear end or something like that, there’s no real advantage to going true rear other than you can slam your car way lower than you could with the spring perch arm in the way. It’s way faster to swap spring rates with the stock style setup which is a huge plus in my books”

My bc’s bolted in great, could go lower, could go higher, no issues with my car. This feal stuff on the other hand....very interesting to say the least..

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Reminds me of my E30 where you'd jack up the car and the springs would fall onto the ground.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    I pm’d Micah Diaz the other day since he now has em on his e46. The spring length doesn’t matter with these, the preload on the spring is correct and all that, I could thread the lower mount out a bit more but it seems sketchy to have less than 1” threaded together with that style of strut. Looking at tyler page-howells setup it looks like the lower mount is longer on his so I’m wondering if these are the feal equivillant If bc racing’s “extreme low” series..

As for the true coil vs stock style rear coilover, when I ordered my bc’s I asked Chelsea about the advantages of either and he said “unless you’re trying to clear some sort of quick change rear end or something like that, there’s no real advantage to going true rear other than you can slam your car way lower than you could with the spring perch arm in the way. It’s way faster to swap spring rates with the stock style setup which is a huge plus in my books”

My bc’s bolted in great, could go lower, could go higher, no issues with my car. This feal stuff on the other hand....very interesting to say the least..
    i asked Chelsea that same question the other day when filming a video for his youtube channel. i got the exact same response. LOL.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Reminds me of my E30 where you'd jack up the car and the springs would fall onto the ground.
    How? These are completely different issues lol. That issue is the strut being too long and/or the springs being short. Most companies have an adjustable lower mount to compensate for that nowadays. That lower mount is the one which I believe is too short on this strut setup

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    How? These are completely different issues lol. That issue is the strut being too long and/or the springs being short. Most companies have an adjustable lower mount to compensate for that nowadays. That lower mount is the one which I believe is too short on this strut setup
    It’s way faster to swap spring rates with the stock style setup which is a huge plus in my books
    Chelsea's reasoning for NOT going coilover was for fast spring swapping (if you don't go with a winters/etc rear). E30s sag so much that spring pop out. That's how I was reminded of the E30 issue. Regardless, this and that comment detract from your thread so I'll shut up meow.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

I hope you have better luck with the Feal stuff then we did, had to warranty like 3 sets for blowing out seals and dumping all their shock oil. We stopped recommending them and started steering people towards BC or Fortune

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Oh damn really? Its not my car so I didn’t really look into it too much. Had I known this height deal would have been an issue I would have probably leaned towards something else, especially if people have had issues with seals and stuff... I don’t know why but feal didn’t put any sort of alignment groove in the front mount either so the sway bar tab can pretty much just be pointed wherever the fuck it wants and that’s annoying. ( not that we’re using a front bar but still, if we were then it would be annoying haha)

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Can't ya adjust BC Shocks to a height that won't allow enough droop for the springs to fall out?
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Never had BCs on an E30 but I've never seen height adjustable shocks. Most E30 shocks have way too much droop anyway. I eventually raised my car to the point where they stopped falling out regularly.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ Yeah my old Koni Yellow / Ground Control setup did that pretty often too on my old E36. It was pretty annoying.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I think all coilovers minus like racelands have adjustable height shocks now to stop that from happening. I’m not 100% sure but like 60% sure that I could convert my bc’s to a true coil setup by just getting the offset top hat, a c clip, and a upper spring perch. I think the shock body itself is the same

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Did you ever solve the issue? I have feal coilovers on my E46 and with the ride height at its lowest I'm only tucking a little bit of tire.
    YouTube
    #TheE46DriftBuild

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Nope, contacted feal and apparently this is normal. So if you want to shit can your car, buy the true coil option. Well see how this works when the car drives...

My Cars
    none
    id send them back....

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    If it were my car I’d look into it further, order a longer Lower mount or something, but since it’s not I can only care so much. It looks cool so if it performs well then that’s ok but the anti squat that was discussed in the rear grip thread will be not even remotely close to what is ideal.. we will hopefully be testing by April so that’s when we’ll know if it’s passable or if he shoulda bought bc racing’s like I installed in my car with 0 issues..

My Cars
    Slow e36
    I run Feal's on my car with the true coilover option and have no issues with height adjustment and they feel great (9k/6k here).

I can post some pictures tonight if your still trying to figure it out.
    Last edited by DjTyfighter; 01-16-2018 at 04:06 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Looking at your Instagram pics from way back it looks like the lower mount threaded part is longer on your set. I’m not worried about it at the moment, we’ll see how the car drives and if it’s fine and nothing binds then it’s good enough for me. Not my car so I can only care so much haha