Thread: I cannot get my car to go into park...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Angry I cannot get my car to go into park...

Hello Everyone,
    Thanks to those who responded to my post about the fuel tank. My new dilemma is after replacing everything the car will not go into park. I can remove the key but I can't get the car to start in the park position. I can only start it in neutral. Here are some peculiarities. When I initially turn the key to the on position, the "D" is illuminated on the Instrument Cluster, then the rest appear. Another thing, the shifter indicates the the vehicle is in park but the "P" isn't illuminated on the dash. When I begin to shift through the gears, the readings on the console and the dash are off. The dash being the accurate indicator of the two. I'm even able to spin the rear axle while the shifter is in the park position. I've disconnected the battery overnight, that didn't do anything. I'm dreading that I'll have to take everything back apart, and it's single digit weather here in Kansas City.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Check that the Bowden cable is connected to the gearbox selection switch on the side of the gearbox - more information here (for E31 but drivetrain the same as E38):

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/timms_b...e_problems.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    Check that the Bowden cable is connected to the gearbox selection switch on the side of the gearbox - more information here (for E31 but drivetrain the same as E38):

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/timms_b...e_problems.htm
    Okay... I'll check it out once I can have some double digit weather outside. I appreciate the insight and link. I hope that it's the simple part and not the expensive one.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Hello Everyone,
    It's a lot warmer today but wet. As I was attempting to tighten the bolts on the differential, I've noticed that the driveshaft would click out of park. The driveshaft wouldn't turn while I was taking everything apart. Now, it's moving. I looked at the shift cable and it may need to be replaced but I don't believe that the issue is in the gear selector switch or the EGS. Can anyone point me in the right direction.