Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 99 Fern Green - RSI Top Mount - BWs366 - 30-3300 Meth

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Let me make sure, I am positive I am getting 15-16psi by 3500-3600, I seem to remember I hit full boost by 4k but perhaps I was running a bit less boost at the time. This was a long time ago.
    Yes I am running a MBC.
    I would much rather see the dyno sheet on your e85 sxe366 beast anyway. Nevertheless it seem the turbo spools much better then I ever thought possible.
    WOT

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I agree, big turbo like that with that turbine wheel I'd be surprised for it to hit 20# by 4400. My 6466 was hitting 20# by 4300 with 666 manifold. Now with twin scroll 20# is like 3200-3300. 25# by 3500-3600 iirc I'd have to check logs.
    But, I also know there is a lot of timing to be had with e85 so that could be a good reason.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    This looks like an awesome build. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I agree, big turbo like that with that turbine wheel I'd be surprised for it to hit 20# by 4400. My 6466 was hitting 20# by 4300 with 666 manifold. Now with twin scroll 20# is like 3200-3300. 25# by 3500-3600 iirc I'd have to check logs.
    But, I also know there is a lot of timing to be had with e85 so that could be a good reason.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    Just went out to confirm my statement; 4th gear, WOT from 2k rpm I hit 24 psi at 3900-4k rpm.

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    Glad you finally started a thread!

Build is turning out great. Everything looks nice and clean. Can't wait to see some videos of her running

I saw your sprockets and how they weren't completely biased to one side. I ran into the same thing when I was installing them and spent hours trying different things. As you said, the slight height increase between the head and block is probably at fault. But it shouldn't be a problem as there's still plenty of travel.

I needed this thread along time ago and shoulda started it then, would have bugged a lot of people less for questions haha
    Timing this thing was wayyy different then stock HG forsure, during the process of re-installing and not figuring out what I was doing wrong I realized I read somewhere someone had this issue with the extra thicknesses making the tension throw things off the normal timing way. I put the exhaust sprocket full biased left and it changed everything, before I had it centered and was throwing everything off..

UPDATE:

- Going to bridge the two wires in the 20 pin-plug under the hood for the RK-tune and try and load his tune.

- I guess I left my GAS EVAP plugged into the canister and then ran a vacuum line and connected it to the manifold. Didn't realize this was part of emissions and am not supposed to leave it connected to vacuum? plan on deleting it tomorrow from vacuum source.

- Finish AEM 30-3300 meth kit install

99 Turbo M3 - BWs366 - RSI - Fuse Fabrication - JE Cutring -

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Awesome looking build man. I have started buying all kinds of parts for my turbo project too.

Couple questions if you have the time!

1) Which catch can is that?

2) How did you decide to drill and weld in the fitting in that spot on the oil pan? Is that ideal for top mounts or did you measure anything beforehand?

Thanks man!

I have ordered basically all the key parts and am now just looking for the last small bits to order up. Want a VTA catch can like that one but cannot pick one.

Sub'd for updates. Love fern green lol.
    Last edited by Chaz17; 01-04-2018 at 02:35 PM.

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz17 View Post
    Awesome looking build man. I have started buying all kinds of parts for my turbo project too.

Couple questions if you have the time!

1) Which catch can is that?

2) How did you decide to drill and weld in the fitting in that spot on the oil pan? Is that ideal for top mounts or did you measure anything beforehand?

Thanks man!

I have ordered basically all the key parts and am now just looking for the last small bits to order up. Want a VTA catch can like that one but cannot pick one.

Sub'd for updates. Love fern green lol.

Thanks man, hopefully ill have it running in feb.

I wanted the return to be as close to the turbo as possible and high above the "high oil level" inside the pan were the drain returns, others have had issues with the -10 line backing up because the drain is below the majority of the oil, also with top mount, it really is a long distance in these cars between Drain on turbo and return to pan, this position puts it closer to the turbo

these are the lines I bought to work with the catch can, you probably can get away with using the at your pan for turbo return as well since its all -10, I wouldn't use the braided line there though
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/AN10-10AN-F...53.m2749.l2649

catch can
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-right-...53.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by JPE36M3; 01-04-2018 at 03:19 PM.

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE36M3 View Post
    Thanks man, hopefully ill have it running in feb.

I wanted the return to be as close to the turbo as possible and high above the "high oil level" inside the pan were the drain returns, others have had issues with the -10 line backing up because the drain is below the majority of the oil, also with top mount, it really is a long distance in these cars between Drain on turbo and return to pan, this position puts it closer to the turbo

these are the lines I bought to work with the catch can, you probably can get away with using the at your pan for turbo return as well since its all -10, I wouldn't use the braided line there though
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/AN10-10AN-F...53.m2749.l2649

catch can
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-right-...53.m2749.l2649
    That's hilarious. I had this catch can on my watchlist already:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baffled-Alu...53.m1438.l2649

Exact same thing? Exact same thing.

That's a pretty decent looking line and fitting kit too. Thanks man. Let us know how the rest of the build goes. You are probably about a month or two ahead of me so hopefully I can learn from all of your mistakes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JPE36M3 View Post
    you probably can get away with using the at your pan for turbo return as well since its all -10, I wouldn't use the braided line there though
    What'd you mean by this?

My Cars
    E36
    D57AD7CE-6D44-4275-A7DE-8405F759B639.jpgI am top mount as well
    i had lots of issues with oil return until we drilled pan as in picture.
    no catch can , no smoke , is working great

My Cars
    1989 325is, 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson501 View Post
    D57AD7CE-6D44-4275-A7DE-8405F759B639.jpgI am top mount as well
    i had lots of issues with oil return until we drilled pan as in picture.
    no catch can , no smoke , is working great

(Upside down photo) Is that the oil drain plug that you drilled above?

My Cars
    E36
    Correct

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by nikimause View Post
    Hey another set of WA plates with a turbo under the hood. I'm in Kent and I have 6, 55 gallon drums of E98
    Rod is a cool guy, helped me out as well. There's a few more of us boosted e36's in town just not everyone on the forums. Great build, hope to see you at the ridge this season

hey man will do - after shes running ill probably add an oil cooler to the mix and do some bushings.. rest of the car should be ready for some track time! need to get a turbo e36 meet setup for Seattle, im a photographer and can grab some great night images for us..

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    More green machines coming up!!!!

Setup looks super clean. Makes my car look like dookie.

My gt40r was seeing 18psi by about 4k. Positive pressure probably 2500-2600 ish in 4th wot. You nailed it right on the head, I want the exact same out of my car. When I'm racing I'm going from 4k-redline anyways. The lag doesn't bother me one bit. It was kind of funny seeing the 335i guy get the jump on me for a couple seconds though before he got passed lol But the last thing I want is a huge power drop at the last few rpm.
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There is only a huge power drop at the end if you use an undersized turbo — like what you would find in a factory turbo car. My GT3582R did 607 rwhp at 6600 rpm. No drop. Way more power under the curve than the GTX4088R at that power level. But the GT35R was not going to make 700 and the GT40 could have. Now if you must have 700 or more, you will see the GT35R hump over and fail — the midrange might bump higher but then drop as the turbo runs out, while the GT40 will keep climbing. For a street car, I like response.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    I went in with the 700 number in mind. I've driven a 6266 s52 car and the midrange is definitely a fun streetable setup for up to the 6xx mark.

My gt4088r is a dinosaur. If it was the gtx I'd be doing a little better with the setup but I'm content.

OP how does the hood fit with the borg and rsi? That was a concern of mine but at least I've got a 4dr. Have you tried it on yet?

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    There is only a huge power drop at the end if you use an undersized turbo — like what you would find in a factory turbo car. My GT3582R did 607 rwhp at 6600 rpm. No drop. Way more power under the curve than the GTX4088R at that power level. But the GT35R was not going to make 700 and the GT40 could have. Now if you must have 700 or more, you will see the GT35R hump over and fail — the midrange might bump higher but then drop as the turbo runs out, while the GT40 will keep climbing. For a street car, I like response.
    T4 Gt35R? My memory is a bit foggy from my 2008 setup, but my T3 GT35r put down 535 whp and I remember it dying off toward the top end (22psi).
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    0.82 T4 but some say the ATP housing is just a T3 flared out to a T4. S52 with S52 cams, 607 rwhp at just under 21 psi on a Dynojet in SAE. I tried another psi but gained no more top end power— 609 rwhp, do I figured pushing further would just hump the midrange, but maybe a 1.06 housing would have helped a little. A GTX definitely would have helped.

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3

Update: Rolled the car out a bit and installed my mateomotorsports rear diffuser which I really like out of all the diffusers personally I feel like this one follows the e36 lines the best. Installed new Smoked Tails and found website for M/// logo refresher decals to replace your faded decal.. YES, none of this crap makes my car go faster... BUT! this is a "complete" build not just all motor goodies. Im still on the waiting list from abrahamson-motorports for the non sagging Italian made high rise LTW-Wing. Until I can make that purchase which could be 6 months to a year on the waiting list, I'm going to grab a dtmfiberworkz fiberglass with carbon vented GTR hood... they are pricey at 850$ shipped. I should have bought one during Black Friday at 15% off and saved some decent cash. 95AWm3 has one here in Seattle, the vents really do allow ALOT of heat to escape, with a top mount in the summer especially, I see this as a BIG benefit.

Motor goodies: Meth install has been a PITA, lots of interior work moving wiring around, a few 20 year old interior clips died during this process.. Ill post pictures of this tomorrow or the next day, but for 450$ shipped im impressed with AEM's 30-3300 meth kit, I have the billet nozzle set to start idmitting spray at 5 psi and reach full spray by 10.. for Truboost, failsafe, all 3 VDO gauges (oil temp, pressure and water temp) including vacuum references for both of those AND aem 30-3300 meth I was able to drill one single 3/4" hole on passenger side and route all the wires out of this single hole, I wrapped everything in a big piece of heat shrink for chaffing.. however my meth nozzle needed a firewall hole on the drivers side, I needed extra hose for connecting the pump and tank together in the back and routing it across the cabin to passenger firewall hole wasn't an option.. Lets just say I drilled a hole in the wrong spot... no damage but.I had to plug the hole with a bolt and marine grade sikaflex ( ughh). In Addition to this mistake, I needed to re-route my -10an catch can line for return to "Y" on dipstick. During this process I somehow managed to drop my oring for my dipstick into the OIL PAN! WHAT THE ****. I somehow got it wedged when I removed my dipstick and re-bumped it and it somehow fell into the pan full of oil... tried various methods to retrieve. no success. whatever im gonna run it anyways I don't see why that small rubber Oring would be an issue with a screened oil pump and semi baffled pan, maybe ill catch it after the initial start oil change.
    Last edited by JPE36M3; 01-07-2018 at 01:18 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?...product_id=232

Is this the one? Has to be the best looking imo. Some kind of venting is absolutely needed for top mount cars. I can feel it radiate into the car on hotter days

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Just buy the louvers separately and cut and install onto OE hood.
    Muchhhhh cheaper, and you wont have fitment issues which is all to common with aftermarket hoods.

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3
    update: meth has been completely installed. took me almost a full day to create this. Just looking back on the amount of time to; assemble, drill and create the mounting board + route all wires and connections. In the end I'm pleased with the final results.

mounted the controller under the steering wheel. The AEM controller matches the e36 lines and color style with black and white analog look. Notice the LED in the dusty air bezel, will admit light from dim to bright as meth increases in pressure/boost.

trunk.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    Glad you finally started a thread!

Build is turning out great. Everything looks nice and clean. Can't wait to see some videos of her running

I saw your sprockets and how they weren't completely biased to one side. I ran into the same thing when I was installing them and spent hours trying different things. As you said, the slight height increase between the head and block is probably at fault. But it shouldn't be a problem as there's still plenty of travel.
    who are you.. says you live in VA?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kame36sedan View Post
    who are you.. says you live in VA?
    Stafford, not far away. I don't think I've found any turbo guys (or E36 people) anywhere near my vicinity. I live about 35-40 minutes from there. I drive up there every once in awhile to scavenge pick a part.

But my name is Jean,

Jean Sausage (name pronounced jawn)

Own a sausage factory in fredericksburg va, (Jean's Sausage). Sell all top quality beef and pork sausage in a variety of flavors.

nice to meat you
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-08-2018 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Build looks real nice. I agree with you on the slower spooling harder hitting turbo method. I've had both and I prefer a slower spooling turbo with better top end. Keep in mind also that a S366 and S366sxe have different turbine wheels in addition to the different compressor wheel so don't expect them to act the same even though they are the same dimensions.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SCapelo View Post
    https://dtmfiberwerkz.com/index.php?...product_id=232

Is this the one? Has to be the best looking imo. Some kind of venting is absolutely needed for top mount cars. I can feel it radiate into the car on hotter days

thats the one! Let me tell you this hood is awesome in person, my buddy has one and hot damn, it’s money. Goes well with the e36, I think I’m just gonna grab it, I was gonna re shoot the entire front end of my car hood included so I might as well get this now..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Just buy the louvers separately and cut and install onto OE hood.
    Muchhhhh cheaper, and you wont have fitment issues which is all to common with aftermarket hoods.

I was going to do this but, I still might, I don’t know I haven’t seen ones that I really like.... it may not look as clean as the dtm hood, if I’m going to keep this car for 10-20 years I might as well get my dream hood

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast