Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not Another First Turbo Build Thread

My Cars
    1994 325is
    So I am having a real hard time getting the trans mounted up. I can get it so the splines are lined up no problem and the transmission feels pretty solidly attached to engine, but stops about half an inch off the block every time. I have taken the pressure plate off and realigned the clutch 3 times but it is the same result and I cant get it to go the rest if the way. I have also checked that the pilot bearing is all the way set in the block. I am guessing it is a pilot bearing issue but don't know what else to do besides realign the clutch.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I have killed two days wrestling with this on my back and don't know what else to do. I will probably try and realign the clutch and try again tomorrow, but I am getting pretty beat up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Make sure there isnít a burr on the end of the input shaft or on the splines where the clutch disc could be hanging up. Try to eyeball the best you can through the center of the PP to see if the disc is centered in relation to the pilot bearing.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Make sure there isnít a burr on the end of the input shaft or on the splines where the clutch disc could be hanging up. Try to eyeball the best you can through the center of the PP to see if the disc is centered in relation to the pilot bearing.
    Thanks. I appreciate the help, as i know it is kind of a noob question. The plastic alignment tool had a good quarter to half inch of slop to it, so I have been trying to eyeball it. I have done it a few times but could still manage to be off. I will keep on trying today, and make sure the input shaft is burr free.

Edit. I just got it! Made some guide studs, and took a lot of care to make sure the clutch was perfectly centered and it popped into place after only a few wiggles. Surfed 5 hours in the wintersuit last few days right before wraastling the tranny, which didnt help the shoulder strength either. Again, appreciate the input on stupid questions. I am new to this and don't have any friends who work on cars so have little experience to draw from. It feels good to complete each step and learn. I also bolted the manifold to the head, so am making some progress.
    Last edited by drstuess; 04-15-2018 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Been away for a while, so haven't been able to work on the car much. I did get the head on today, with 13 of 14 nuts torqued to ~25ftlbs. Long story short, but I was jetlagged and up at 4 am, the decided to put the head on. Everything went well until zombie me dropped a stud into one of the water passages. Thing got really lodged in there, but after a few hours and some quick set epoxy on the end of a long allen key I was able to unlodge it and walk it back up.

Unfortunately, the stud has some thread damage so I should probably get a new one. Does ARP or any shops sell individual studs for our engines? I see a few on summit, but not for e36.

Also, have to thank 328ifun for the inspiration, as I followed his lead in hoisting the head down. It made the process much easier to do solo with the cutrings.

Last edited by drstuess; 05-11-2018 at 10:33 AM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Two questions.
    1. Intercooler: was just gonna go treadstone 1235. Is this overkill or fine?
    2.looking to learn to weld for this. Would a standard lincoln/ Hobart $400 Mig be fine for welding exhaust and intercooler brackets etc? I would probably just take intercooler piping to a shop to get welded for BOV and MAF.

I appreciate any input.

My Cars
    08 E90M3; 99 E36M3 Turbo
    1235 is a good intercooler but 12 inches is a tight fit. A 1035 fits easier. How much intercooler do you need?

Most people start with a new or used entry level mig in the 135-140 amp range like you list. A gas capable one is ideal. Get some lessons from someone who knows how to use it well and then practice. I have an Eastwood. Harbor Freight makes what look like decent welders now in the Vulcan line. And there are a few of the cheap Chinese ones on eBay that seem to be decent quality but do research first.

If you practice enough you can make your IC pipes and fittings. A bandsaw like the Swag portaband works pretty well for cutting pipe at angles but you can also use a messy abrasive disc cutoff saw from Harbor Freight.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    1235 is a good intercooler but 12 inches is a tight fit. A 1035 fits easier. How much intercooler do you need?

Most people start with a new or used entry level mig in the 135-140 amp range like you list. A gas capable one is ideal. Get some lessons from someone who knows how to use it well and then practice. I have an Eastwood. Harbor Freight makes what look like decent welders now in the Vulcan line. And there are a few of the cheap Chinese ones on eBay that seem to be decent quality but do research first.

If you practice enough you can make your IC pipes and fittings. A bandsaw like the Swag portaband works pretty well for cutting pipe at angles but you can also use a messy abrasive disc cutoff saw from Harbor Freight.
    Thanks. I am only going for about 400 hp so it looks like the 1035 should be more than enough.

I just ordered a cheapish gas compatible Lincoln that gets good reviews and should fit my basic needs. Going to wire a dedicated 20 amp outlet in the garage today, using only 1 pole of a 2 pole breaker I have free. That way in a while if I get to the limitations of this welder and get good I can upgrade to a higher quality and power 208/240v one down the road.

Also, an aside, I find it weird/funny that a lot of welders are called 110v, 115v, or 220 v when utilities don't even supply 110, 115, or 220 anymore.

Edit: head fully torqued:/ cams and vanos installed, and treadstone 1035 ordered. Feel like I am starting to make some progress.
    Last edited by drstuess; 05-15-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123