Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not Another First Turbo Build Thread

My Cars
    1994 325is
    So I am having a real hard time getting the trans mounted up. I can get it so the splines are lined up no problem and the transmission feels pretty solidly attached to engine, but stops about half an inch off the block every time. I have taken the pressure plate off and realigned the clutch 3 times but it is the same result and I cant get it to go the rest if the way. I have also checked that the pilot bearing is all the way set in the block. I am guessing it is a pilot bearing issue but don't know what else to do besides realign the clutch.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I have killed two days wrestling with this on my back and don't know what else to do. I will probably try and realign the clutch and try again tomorrow, but I am getting pretty beat up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Make sure there isn’t a burr on the end of the input shaft or on the splines where the clutch disc could be hanging up. Try to eyeball the best you can through the center of the PP to see if the disc is centered in relation to the pilot bearing.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Make sure there isn’t a burr on the end of the input shaft or on the splines where the clutch disc could be hanging up. Try to eyeball the best you can through the center of the PP to see if the disc is centered in relation to the pilot bearing.
    Thanks. I appreciate the help, as i know it is kind of a noob question. The plastic alignment tool had a good quarter to half inch of slop to it, so I have been trying to eyeball it. I have done it a few times but could still manage to be off. I will keep on trying today, and make sure the input shaft is burr free.

Edit. I just got it! Made some guide studs, and took a lot of care to make sure the clutch was perfectly centered and it popped into place after only a few wiggles. Surfed 5 hours in the wintersuit last few days right before wraastling the tranny, which didnt help the shoulder strength either. Again, appreciate the input on stupid questions. I am new to this and don't have any friends who work on cars so have little experience to draw from. It feels good to complete each step and learn. I also bolted the manifold to the head, so am making some progress.
    Last edited by drstuess; 04-15-2018 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Been away for a while, so haven't been able to work on the car much. I did get the head on today, with 13 of 14 nuts torqued to ~25ftlbs. Long story short, but I was jetlagged and up at 4 am, the decided to put the head on. Everything went well until zombie me dropped a stud into one of the water passages. Thing got really lodged in there, but after a few hours and some quick set epoxy on the end of a long allen key I was able to unlodge it and walk it back up.

Unfortunately, the stud has some thread damage so I should probably get a new one. Does ARP or any shops sell individual studs for our engines? I see a few on summit, but not for e36.

Also, have to thank 328ifun for the inspiration, as I followed his lead in hoisting the head down. It made the process much easier to do solo with the cutrings.

Last edited by drstuess; 05-11-2018 at 10:33 AM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Two questions.
    1. Intercooler: was just gonna go treadstone 1235. Is this overkill or fine?
    2.looking to learn to weld for this. Would a standard lincoln/ Hobart $400 Mig be fine for welding exhaust and intercooler brackets etc? I would probably just take intercooler piping to a shop to get welded for BOV and MAF.

I appreciate any input.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    1235 is a good intercooler but 12 inches is a tight fit. A 1035 fits easier. How much intercooler do you need?

Most people start with a new or used entry level mig in the 135-140 amp range like you list. A gas capable one is ideal. Get some lessons from someone who knows how to use it well and then practice. I have an Eastwood. Harbor Freight makes what look like decent welders now in the Vulcan line. And there are a few of the cheap Chinese ones on eBay that seem to be decent quality but do research first.

If you practice enough you can make your IC pipes and fittings. A bandsaw like the Swag portaband works pretty well for cutting pipe at angles but you can also use a messy abrasive disc cutoff saw from Harbor Freight.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    1235 is a good intercooler but 12 inches is a tight fit. A 1035 fits easier. How much intercooler do you need?

Most people start with a new or used entry level mig in the 135-140 amp range like you list. A gas capable one is ideal. Get some lessons from someone who knows how to use it well and then practice. I have an Eastwood. Harbor Freight makes what look like decent welders now in the Vulcan line. And there are a few of the cheap Chinese ones on eBay that seem to be decent quality but do research first.

If you practice enough you can make your IC pipes and fittings. A bandsaw like the Swag portaband works pretty well for cutting pipe at angles but you can also use a messy abrasive disc cutoff saw from Harbor Freight.
    Thanks. I am only going for about 400 hp so it looks like the 1035 should be more than enough.

I just ordered a cheapish gas compatible Lincoln that gets good reviews and should fit my basic needs. Going to wire a dedicated 20 amp outlet in the garage today, using only 1 pole of a 2 pole breaker I have free. That way in a while if I get to the limitations of this welder and get good I can upgrade to a higher quality and power 208/240v one down the road.

Also, an aside, I find it weird/funny that a lot of welders are called 110v, 115v, or 220 v when utilities don't even supply 110, 115, or 220 anymore.

Edit: head fully torqued:/ cams and vanos installed, and treadstone 1035 ordered. Feel like I am starting to make some progress.
    Last edited by drstuess; 05-15-2018 at 08:56 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Been a minute since I updated, but things are going pretty well. Clocked and installed the salad shooter and made some brackets and install the intercooler. Overall pretty happy with the bracket fab and install, given its my first go at welding. Ain't the prettiest welds, but will do.

Charge pipes arrive this week, so starting to see some brightness at the end of the tunnel and getting pretty excited.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    3/4 of charge piping and oil feed line done, plus got valve cover and some accessories back on. Just waiting for a few parts to get the piping and oil/ coolant lines done.

Remaining items to purchase/do...

BOV - Tial 50 mm
    Wastegate- Tial 38 mm
    Gauges/ boost control- probably innovate scg-1
    Tune- probably Technica, or TRM
    Weld up an exhaust
    Fuel pump- maybe Walboro 255 but don't know so suggestions welcome.

Also, if anyone has a 4 bolt zf driveshaft and zf selector rod (or any of the abive in good condition) I am looking to buy ( in New England area if it matters).

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Coming along. A little gluttonous with the clamps, but it is the one downside of the CES metal intake elbows. Next thing on the checklist is to weld up a downpipe and exhaust. First time, so should be fun!!

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Went to do my intake piping, and it is a really tight squeeze with the Rally road motor mount, even with a 4 in to 3 in reducer. Anyone else have clearance trouble? I may be able to massage it a little to make it work, but wonder if there is a better way. Something like a spacer on the motor

Update,
    As I am sure many of you are waiting with bated breath. I was able to contort, cock (balls), and deform the 4 to 3 inch coupler enough to get a 3 inch pipe into it at a downward angle. I then snaked it up and to freedom, to await a 90 degree coupler and filter.

Last edited by drstuess; 06-27-2018 at 08:08 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Exhaust is welded, except mounting provisions. The axelback section is a Corsa axelback I added a y pipe to. Getting a little better with the welder, which is nice, but i still need some improvement in the aesthetics department. I also picked up a decent zf from a junk yard. Unfortunately my getrag one is in prime shape and this one has some surface rust on it. Do I risk throwing it out of balance with a sand and spray paint?

Getting towards the end game; now I just need to find time and budget a few more dollarbucks to bring her home.

Last edited by drstuess; 07-29-2018 at 07:03 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    There are two different Railroad engine mounts. It looks like you have the low one, you need the high one.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    There are two different Railroad engine mounts. It looks like you have the low one, you need the high one.
    Thanks! Yeah I see that now. The low one says it should work with a SPA manifold, but keep the option of above sub frame piping. But, like everything, it seems there is a trade off. The website says "easily allows for up to a 3.5", so I thought I should be more than fine with 3 inch. Maybe a non-centered 4 to 3 inch coupler/ adapter would allow 3.5 inch, or a more deft fabricator than myself. Either way, no worries, just hope these pictures help someone else who has the same question.

For now, I have the 3 inch intake piping fitting without crushing, just angled down slightly to start. I am going to get it running as is, but keep it in the back of my mind if I have any symptoms that could point to an intake restriction.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Mounted up and wired the Innovate SCG-1. Didn't wanna throw any money at it, so chopped up the center vent. Came out decent, but I might go back with some sanding and paint to get the fit and finish a touch better. But I really like the easy access (yet could be hidden in vent) nature of the output cables for logging.

Overall, very close. Fuel pump, tune (both ordered) and getting the MAF and BOV flanges TIG'd up are all that are left on ye olde to do list.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Yewwwwwwww!!!! Took it for the first few rips!! Turbo noises and sensation had me grinning! Ended up popping two intercooler couplers and only had a 30 minute window to play with, so the car is back in the garage to await re-tightening all the charge piping.

I am stoked.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Having some trouble now and hoping to get your guys opinion...

I put the couplers back on after the 15 minutes of driving the other night and tightened all the t clamps well, but now the car will not make any positive pressure... 0 psi. Additionally, the car is a little lean, but I think the 0 boost is the bigger issue.

I thought this would most likely be caused by a few things.

1. Major boost leak
    2. Wastegate stuck open
    3. Turbo is fubared

So far I have done the following to check this.

1. Boost Leak test- pressurized system from the turbo inlet to ~20 psi and fixed a few leaks but nothing major that would result in 0 boost. Also, boost gauge showed positive pressure during leak testing so I know I am actually not seeing boost while driving. Additionaly, and weird, when I do this I get this boiling sound coming from the oil pan ( see attached video). Is this normal? My crankcase should not be pressurized. I am venting ccv to a catch can then to atmosphere.

2. Wastegate was closed when I inspected it and spring seemed installed correct.

3. Took downpipe off and turbo spun by hand and didn't seem to have any play in the shaft when accessing it from the turbine side.

Any thoughts on where to check next or what the boiling noise is?

Edit: forgot to add I have checked fuel pressure too and it seemed good for m50- 43 psi at idle. I also have some short logs of driving around the block of it helps.

Edit 2: seems to be air leaking through turbo seals, as when I pressurized down stream of compressor the noise isn't present. Also I checked the compressor side of the turbo and it seemed to be fine. Shaft rotated freely and no in and out play. Going to check maf signal next, but unsure after that.

Edit 3: MAF seemed to be atleast functioning. It was around . 7 volts and increased with rpm atleast.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b8b01b6...901_165336.mp4

Last edited by drstuess; 09-02-2018 at 03:08 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Starting to feel it is the turbo, even though it spins easily from both sides by hand and no axial play. Plus that wouldnt explain it being lean either. If it is the turbo that would be a pretty big hit, so i am getting pretty bummed thinking about it.

Anything else I should check tomorrow before I pull the turbo?

Only other things I can think of are a clogged cat, or a paper towel or something clogging the intercooler.

Last edited by drstuess; 09-02-2018 at 11:24 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Just to update this, the problem was pretty minor. It was the combination of a small leak in a weld in the waste gate pipe, the waste gate fire ring not quite seated right, and me being too cautious with the throttle had me not building positive pressure.

The car is now running decent and making me happy! Running just at .4 bar spring pressure now, which still puts a smile on my face. I have never been in a car that can spin the tires a little, so I am getting a kick out of it. I started out not knowing much and now have a turbod car and know a bunch more (but still not a whole lot and 1/100th of what most here know).

The car cleans up pretty well, but I still have a long way to go with the car (dial it in a little more, new wheels, new tires, 330 brakes, etc), but nice to have a little fun and drive it at this point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    Sweet success! Congrats. I'm wondering how your local PD will behave when they see a Red BMW with a FMIC

I plan on painting my IC once I get to that point . Cant wait to see your next moves.
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Figured I would update this. Car is fun and running well, especially at WOT. I need to dial in some of the partial throttle on boost fueling but that's on me and taking the time to log stuff (this happens more than you think as the turbo spools early and the lack of displacement makes it sluggish in low rpm.

In other news...
    -Put a new steering wheel in.
    -Stopped at a junk yard on way back from a work trip and picked up an m52b28 and another zf to build on the side ( probably get it punched to 87 mm and do a bottom end build over the next undefined period of time-either for this car or an e30
    - gonna grab some e46 330/ x3 brakes in the next week at the junkyard too, but have been lazy.
    - getting a set of DS1s straightened and powder coated and going for an 95 m3 exterior look.

Non-sequitor, but hummingbirds are in town.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Picked up a pair of x3 calipers super cheap from the junk yard. I think they are the same as the e46 330. Anyone have any sucess bolting them up? Does the carrier bolt up, or do I need to source an e46 carrier bracket for the caliper?

Last edited by drstuess; 06-16-2019 at 09:54 AM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Figured I would do a spring cleaning update.

Got some ds1s mounted with 12 mm spacers.

My wife turned me a short knob

Got a m54 rotating assembly for the m52 I am building.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Another pic

My Cars
    1998 M3, 1997 328i
    Looking GREAT! I love the red. Nice work on the turbo build. That’s next for me. This is inspiration
    Schrader Motorsports - Specializing in BMW E30/E36
    in beautiful Greenville, SC
    Garage:
    - 1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    - 1997 BMW 328i Sedan
    - 1984 BMW 318i Coupe (son's car)
    - 1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    - 1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible (SOLD)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast