Thread: Leak in trunk... any ideas? (PICTURES)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is Coupe

Leak in trunk... any ideas? (PICTURES)

I got a leak in my trunk and it's causing a lot of moisture to settle in my trunk. Any ideas where this is coming from, and how I can fix it?

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh won't let me uplod photos on mobile.... Its coming in on the right side of my trunk next to my battery. I'll try and update with pictures asap

- - - Updated - - -

Screenshot_2017-12-26-22-58-15.jpg

My Cars
    99 M3
    I replaced the trunk seal and solved my leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Can be the sunroof drains. Could also be a bad seal along the glass, I had this and removed the glass and put a new seal and new urethane bead.

All you have to do is run your garden hose wide open and watch from inside the trunk, hopefully you have split folding rear seats.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    01 M5, 02 330ci, 03 M3
    I had a leak in that area (next to the battery) caused by a crack in the tail light lens. It was a much smaller leak but was pretty easy to spot because the light was full of water. That looks like it could be coming from the bottom of the rear window, trunk seals, or maybe somehow from the wheel well if it's spraying up into a hole. Check the light anyways because that's a direct path for water to get in to if it isn't sealed correctly.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Are you missing a grommet for the battery drain?

My Cars
    325IS
    The hole through which the battery vent hose goes has a rubber plug in it and if it is missing that is where the water is coming through. If you're driving through water or rain it splashes up and through there. Mine was missing and the moisture caused rust in the same area.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Guys look at the picture!

You can see two streams of water running down, so look behind the panel and follow those. If I had to guess the rear most inner wheel arch liner mounting bolt has corroded around it but just a guess as it's more to the side.

FOLLOW THE WATER

OP:
    You only need to remove the internal tail light bulb holder to be able to peel forward the trim panel and look behind it (with boot carpet removed).
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 12-30-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is Coupe
    Trunk seal is good for the most part

- - - Updated - - -

The one on the bottom? I took it out during this picture to drain some of the water out of the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Are you missing a grommet for the battery drain?

I took it out to drain the water at the bottom for this picture., is there another one ??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITE3NBIGD View Post
    The hole through which the battery vent hose goes has a rubber plug in it and if it is missing that is where the water is coming through. If you're driving through water or rain it splashes up and through there. Mine was missing and the moisture caused rust in the same area.
    I have it taken out but this picture was taken on a dry drain after I washed my car and its coming from the top not from the bottom where the drain plug is...unless theres another one i don't know about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Guys look at the picture!

You can see two streams of water running down, so look behind the panel and follow those. If I had to guess the rear most inner wheel arch liner mounting bolt has corroded around it but just a guess as it's more to the side.

FOLLOW THE WATER

OP:
    You only need to remove the internal tail light bulb holder to be able to peel forward the trim panel and look behind it (with boot carpet removed).
    This is on a dry day after washing it so I think the water is coming from my windshield on the back. Anyone have any ideas how much it'll cost to re seal my rear windshield?

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Bad radio antennae grommet? Mine went bad and Ive had similar issues..

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by talon4567 View Post
    This is on a dry day after washing it so I think the water is coming from my windshield on the back. Anyone have any ideas how much it'll cost to re seal my rear windshield?
    Think is not know. Wash it again with the trim panel peeled back if so and duplicate the problem

Otherwise you will be spending money without guaranteeing a fix
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Looks to be in the area or the Radio antenna. As stated before, remove the inside panels to get a better view as to were the water starts from.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    When are the trunk panels going to be removed

My Cars
    325is
    Antenna? Oh were we supposed to know this was a Convertible?

The reg car has a vent above the battery that can leak.
    Last edited by gc325is; 01-01-2018 at 08:27 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post

Sorry doesn't everybody have one?

My Cars
    e36 m3
    I’ve had the same issue. Check your strut mount. Mine was spitting water up out from underneath when the wheel splashed water around the wheel well.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post

This is a coupe sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    When are the trunk panels going to be removed
    I'll do it when i get off work today.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Rule #1, Never ever fill out your profile so we know what the car is that we are working on. We hate to know what the question is, and the model is never helpful in directing us to the cure.
    Rule #2, Never ever tell us where the car is located because it might also give a clue about the trouble you are asking us to help you fix.

Do you have the vent hose that connects the battery to the small hole in the bottom of the battery compartment? If no, water can come in through the hole that the vent hose is supposed to fill. Water has a wonderful quality, it always flows from top to bottom, never from bottom to top. This means that you can follow the marks that it leaves to the top of the mark to find the source.

Please, provide the year and model of your car, and the city & state where it lives. It might help us some day to actually give a useful suggestion about the issues you need help with. Look at my profile for guidance on what to put in yours.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    As he is a newcomer = join date Oct 2011 and has only 45 posts, forgive him ;-)

My standard info: Welcome to Newbies: Please Read Before Posting
    This community welcomes newcomers and enjoys assisting “newbies” in resolving their BMW issues. We ask that you observe certain courtesies.

In your registration, please fill out all fields. Members of this board will be better able to assist you if they know the month/year and model of your car, the number of miles or kilometers, where you are located (some issues are country/region specific), and any prior modifications done to your car. If you are not sure when exactly your car was built, use this link to get the details on that as well as the exact engine specification and other details: https://www.bmwvin.com/

Before posting, please look in the archives and/or conduct a thread search. There are a number of problems that are very common and have been covered extensively. We have attempted to save high quality threads that most thoroughly explain these issues and their resolution and they are highlighted.

If you do not find your issue in the archived DIY threads, the next step is to use the “search this forum” tool at the top to search for other threads that deal with your problem. Often, using the search feature will produce an instant answer to your question as certain problems and solutions are fairly common. On the other hand, we get excited about a new wrinkle to an old problem. If you have read and tried the solutions in the archives and they didn’t work, and you have done your own thread search with no luck, by all means, post a new thread. Please indicate in your thread that you have read the archives and what you tried and what happened.

Please include the problem in the thread title. You will get much more of a response to something specific like “My battery is dead and I can't unlock the car” or “How do I get the electric rear seats out”, than something like, “What is this?”.

Please be patient. This is an international community. The person who has the answer to your problem may be on the other side of the globe or may be a person who only checks in every couple of days. It is fairly typical for a thread to take a some days to run its course.

Consider posting a picture. If you are having trouble describing something, post a picture. To test a pic, use the test forum https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...hp?123-Testing
    Also we also welcome “Self-Introduction Posts” if you plan to be a member who wants to hang around and participate in the fun. Tell us stuff like how long your have had your car, what your car's issues are, etc. It is a good idea to try posting your picture in the Test Forum, before going to the main board.
    Try to avoid the inflammatory issues. We love to joke here, but off hand comments made in fun about politics, guns, and other divisive topics can spark a back lash that take many a newbie by surprise. Old timers do it, but it is a dangerous activity for a newbie.

Develop a thick skin and don’t take things personally. We try to be really nice to newbies, but in a community this size, there is always someone having a bad day. If there is a factual error in a post, it is likely that a member will correct it so that the error is not perpetuated as truth. Don’t take it personally when it is your error being corrected.

Having read all of this, you are ready to begin posting.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is Coupe
    Sorry guys, in my 45 other post I remembered to put all my information down in all those. JD could've just told me to update my profile but it's so kind how much more time he put into that post.

I live in oregon, driving a 1994 325is coupe I have had for 7 years. Oregon is super wet especially this time of the year so I have enough water building up to make it a problem..I have no attenna either.

Pulling the carpet back I have found this.
    This picture shows water going behind this piece which I think is normal? But it also shows there is water coming from above it or splashing up.
    20180105_160013.jpg
    This one below show the drain tube but water sitting around it.

20180108_160333.jpg

This is the seal around my gas tank lid, was wondering if it could leak through here? 20180105_160238.jpg

Here's a picture behind the drain tube in my trunk, I can see that it looks like some moisture behind it.

when I run water on the right side of my trunk/window above my gas tank I get water in my trunk, after trying to lin point it I noticed my rear bumper seam let's a ton of water into my trunk and was wondering if having enough water hit that spot ca using it to splash up towards where my drain tube is. If that's the case, is it suppose to be sealed, and how would I seal it if it needed to be?

Hopefully this post helps people understand my problem more.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops last picture didn't post, here is the picture of up behind the drain tube.

Attachment 620446
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Looks like arch rot, but pull the trim panel back more and remove the arch liner. The petrol cap doesn't come through into that internal space.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    You have rust-through, I think.

There is a rubber flap that opens (it's an exhaust vent) with speed because the area on the outside of the car is low pressure, and the inside air in the car goes out. The flap is supposed to not allow the intrusion of water, but in the pictures you have posted, there is clear water coming in. It's hard to tell if the water is coming in through the exhaust vents, or if it is coming in adjacent to them. The fender well is there, you need to take the tire off and inspect the integrity of the sheet metal.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, you have rust in the corner. Poke it with a screwdriver and the leak will grow.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    You have rust-through, I think.

There is a rubber flap that opens (it's an exhaust vent) with speed because the area on the outside of the car is low pressure, and the inside air in the car goes out. The flap is supposed to not allow the intrusion of water, but in the pictures you have posted, there is clear water coming in. It's hard to tell if the water is coming in through the exhaust vents, or if it is coming in adjacent to them. The fender well is there, you need to take the tire off and inspect the integrity of the sheet metal.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, you have rust in the corner. Poke it with a screwdriver and the leak will grow.
    Water doesn't run uphill. There is water way above the flap.