Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Show us your winter wagon!

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by esthero View Post
    is that the individual black birch trim? if yes do you have a better / close up pics of your trim? I have a local who's selling those trims and can't decide whether to buy it or not.
    yes..I believe it is....(birch anthrazit 0690). Mine is an Individual. y

Sounds like you already confirmed it, but maybe run that guys VIN in the etk decoder to make sure...?

Sorry - I don't have close-up pictures (...and fear a thrashing from StephenVA if I post up dirty pics...lol...) but check this link out. I found this while searching google images for carbon black e39 wagons while soothing my aching leg from the inside via some 12yr old Chivas the other night....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-pictures.html

This guy has a 530 touring and, save for the euro dials and silver trim rings on the gauges.....oh.....and some additional crumb-age around the parking brake...haha, this car is identical to mine in exterior color and interior trim (yes...I have the same steering wheel and cinnamon trimmed floor mats as well....)

He has some great photos of the trim...as well as a section on taking it all apart and polishing it. Check it out....The pictures should give you a good clue on how that trim looks.

What is your interior color currently...? Interested to see where you are taking this

tony

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Tony ...you need to do a little interior cleaning around that hand brake......

What winter?!

lmao !!! thanks bro - I am slacking in my duties. Car needs a good "5S" for sure...haha

My Cars
    04' 330xi
    i think i might be the only person who HATES M pars lol

My Cars
    e39 528t & W180 220s
    Tony,

my interior color is black with grey headliner, something similar to this (not my actual car).

To be honest I like the contrast of black with the wood trim, and by switching the current wood with the black birch I'm afraid it will be too dark.

You have a very nice interior color, I was thinking of re-trimmed the interior leather but it cost to much.

Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    yes..I believe it is....(birch anthrazit 0690). Mine is an Individual. y

Sounds like you already confirmed it, but maybe run that guys VIN in the etk decoder to make sure...?

Sorry - I don't have close-up pictures (...and fear a thrashing from StephenVA if I post up dirty pics...lol...) but check this link out. I found this while searching google images for carbon black e39 wagons while soothing my aching leg from the inside via some 12yr old Chivas the other night....

This guy has a 530 touring and, save for the euro dials and silver trim rings on the gauges.....oh.....and some additional crumb-age around the parking brake...haha, this car is identical to mine in exterior color and interior trim (yes...I have the same steering wheel and cinnamon trimmed floor mats as well....)

He has some great photos of the trim...as well as a section on taking it all apart and polishing it. Check it out....The pictures should give you a good clue on how that trim looks.

What is your interior color currently...? Interested to see where you are taking this

tony

- - - Updated - - -

lmao !!! thanks bro - I am slacking in my duties. Car needs a good "5S" for sure...haha
    - e39 528t
    - W180 220s
    - e30 318i SOLD
    - e46 330i SOLD
    - e30 318i mtech 2 SOLD

My Cars
    2002 540iT

I made the mistake of clicking on this link yesterday. That interior is absolutely amazing!! You are lucky to have that same color combo!
    I would have cookie crumbs all over that thing...

How did you find the car originally?

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by esthero View Post
    Tony,

my interior color is black with grey headliner, something similar to this (not my actual car)...

To be honest I like the contrast of black with the wood trim, and by switching the current wood with the black birch I'm afraid it will be too dark.

You have a very nice interior color, I was thinking of re-trimmed the interior leather but it cost to much.
    That's a nice combo you have though..! Our '97 is just like that..! We love it.. Black ext, Black leather, with that same wood trim. I think it looks really rich with the orange-ish mood lighting inside these cars. Might be too dark all 'round if you add that black trim

My Cars
    BMW
    I think birch on a black interior would look beautiful. You get the dark tones similar to piano black or technical graphite, but you also get the grain of the wood. I am all for a cave-like darkness though, to each his own.

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by danmurphymn View Post
    I made the mistake of clicking on this link yesterday. That interior is absolutely amazing!! You are lucky to have that same color combo!
    I would have cookie crumbs all over that thing...

How did you find the car originally?
    That link was my undoing as well Dan. I cried a bit inside...lol..!

...and thank you so much for the kind words on the car and color combo....

I really was lucky on how I came to own the car. I was writing service for a BMW shop when the original owners (and you'll especially like this part....), the Murphy's of the Murphy's Oil Soap family, bought it new in Bonn, Germany then shipped it over and had it federalized. I had the honor of getting to work with them, and taking care of that car (as well as their others). Several years back, it was in for repairs at my old shop ($4500 estimate) when they made the bittersweet decision to pass it along. I had just left the business a few months prior but they tracked me down, explained the situation with the needed repairs, and asked if I would like to adopt the car into my family. Cindy always said she would give me first right of refusal if she sold it but I figured that something would happen and I would never own it. She and the family sure made good on that promise. They are all such wonderful people and I was completely blown away when the opportunity actually came about and they offered it to me first above anyone.
    I had always longed to own that car. Everyone did....! For as many high end cars as we had through that shop, this wagon always drew a crowd when they brought it in. Maaaan....everyone was pissed when I showed back up one day to collect it. I drove it nearly 60 miles home...on back roads...very carefully...and very slowly....with the ass on the ground from a failed SLS pump...and the rest is history.

I think it is pretty unique in the States for sure....but finding possibly not so unique in the EU. But...that's ok. I keep Mrs. Murphy updated quarterly with pictures and status of all the new parts she gets. I share some of the adventures the car has been on with them as well. She misses the car deeply and loves it just as much as she did when she picked it up...so I really try to keep is up. The rust is becoming the hitch factor though at the moment....which is truly sad. I have to make a call on that one way or the other pretty soon...

tony
    Last edited by adm750; 02-15-2018 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    2002 540iT

Wink

I really was lucky on how I came to own the car. I was writing service for a BMW shop when the original owners (and you'll especially like this part....), the Murphy's of the Murphy's Oil Soap family, bought it new in Bonn, Germany then shipped it over and had it federalized. I had the honor of getting to work with them, and taking care of that car (as well as their others). Several years back, it was in for repairs at my old shop ($4500 estimate) when they made the bittersweet decision to pass it along. I had just left the business a few months prior but they tracked me down, explained the situation with the needed repairs, and asked if I would like to adopt the car into my family. Cindy always said she would give me first right of refusal if she sold it but I figured that something would happen and I would never own it. She and the family sure made good on that promise. They are all such wonderful people and I was completely blown away when the opportunity actually came about and they offered it to me first above anyone.
    I had always longed to own that car. Everyone did....! For as many high end cars as we had through that shop, this wagon always drew a crowd when they brought it in. Maaaan....everyone was pissed when I showed back up one day to collect it. I drove it nearly 60 miles home...on back roads...very carefully...and very slowly....with the ass on the ground from a failed SLS pump...and the rest is history.

tony
    You're right, that story is amazing! Isn't that what the love of cars is all about, the stories? It speaks a lot of yourself that you keep them updated. I bought my 02 540iT a few months back. Fly and buy. The previous owner was somewhat of a fanatic, said he had nearly all of the service records back to the beginning. Like your story, the kind of person you'd want to buy from. Unfortunately, he's not so quick at returning emails anymore after promising to mail me the extra key and extra service records. (had just moved cross country, everything in boxes and hard to find ya know... blah blah blah)

I love a car with a good story.

The old saying is that "The Murphy's are more Irish than the Irish themselves." Pretty cool that you got to be so close with them. As a fellow honorable Murphy myself, I call dibs at right of first refusal when you decide to get rid of the car! ha! Honestly, I would love to swap that interior into my touring... Sapphire black metallic (correct color name??) with carmel interior. Ooooh sexy sexy...

01414_2S7GJYHWRwS_1200x900.jpg

My Cars
    97 528i
    ^^^^ wow ! Nice looking car Dan...!! That's gorgeous ! Sorry you are struggling with the PO a bit there but hopefully that will all come together for you....

Cars are all about the stories. Jan (my wife..) and I have plenty of them regarding the cars we have owned. That's what has made them so special and why we keep them for so long. I was very fortunate to have met and worked with the Murphy's. They are truly fantastic folks. I miss working with them. (Cindy now drives a new X5M...she doesn't play when it comes to her cars...lol...).

I'll keep you posted on that sale I have been tempted to put her on the block, but hate to do it. If money were no object, she'd be in full restore mode as I'd love to have my car back to new-ish condition. I try to keep it up as best I can but she's gaining on me a bit in the bodywork area. Then you have dudes, like the guy that posted that damned steering wheel re-cover thread recently, that get me thinking about doing more stuff to my car. Visions of a cinnamon alcantara and black leather two-tone steering wheel (same pattern as it is currently but with cinnamon alcantara in place of the cinn. leather...) go through my head all the time.
    We'll have to see how far I decide to ride this out...lol....

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i Touring
    holy $#!t that's nice..

That double-post was just double dirty power-k..!! Now stop toying with us and stick that thing back in the New Car showroom where you got it 'fore someone gets in trouble....
    LOL! Sorry about the double post. I didn't mean it!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Hey! What happened to Spring??? Somebody pulled the plug or something....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1999 540i M-sport
    We still have the winter here

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A5010 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    -E34 M60B40 + Tremec TKO 600 (sold)
    and sadly no old BMW anymore, only high powered Seat Leon Cupra 4Drive as a daily driver.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    What is "Spring"?
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    1999 540i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    What is "Spring"?
    We have 4 seasons.
    1.Winter
    2.Not so cold winter
    3.A bit warm summer (maybe 2 weeks of warm weather)
    4.Not so cold winter

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A5010 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    -E34 M60B40 + Tremec TKO 600 (sold)
    and sadly no old BMW anymore, only high powered Seat Leon Cupra 4Drive as a daily driver.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Spring in Michigan

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Damn! Spring sprung out..... And here I was, last week getting all sneezy and sheeit. Supposed to be another winter storm on Sunday

My Cars
    97 528i
    yeaaaah...spring came for a second then bounced out !

I almost swapped my snows off the car last weekend....but me knows bettuh than to be that stooopid...
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i Touring
    We aren't quite done with winter yet
    20180305_203724.jpg
    Bimmer addict since 2016

Current:
    2001 BMW 525iT

Past:
    2003 BMW 325xi Auto (sold)
    2003 BMW 325i Auto (sold)
    2001 BMW X5 3.0i Auto (sold)
    2001 BMW 325i 5 spd (totaled)

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    40's here! Snow went south and north of us
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I'm on record as being way into the idea of the rally wagon E39. Maybe I should go in that direction at next overhaul.
    Right up your alley ....and they are going to build it!

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    It rained (again) yesterday soooo... Free Car Wash! Touring hadnt been washed in a few weeks because weather has been all over the place, it has been pretty dirty for the last few days. But the damn rain washed away what little snow we had at the local mountain, was trying to get a few more Snowboarding trips in. We will see how this weekend goes.

And to comment on the above, I wonder if any E60 or E46 Xi parts can be swapped over to the E39 (T) Platform? That would be killer.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Meanwhile as Spring rolls in, the wagon is washed, detailed, and covered as the snow is falling here......
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Got sent home early because of the weather.... 3 or 4 inches of snow, lol, 1st official day of spring, my a$$.

Was doing 80 on 395, zipping around on the local roads, E39, DWS 235's, some balls, traction control off, no problem, surrounded by a bunch of dumba$$ non driving morons in AWD everythings, all freaking out, going turtle speeds..... Not a single cop around, pure hooliganism, felt good to be alive, but I sh!t on all the stupid drivers out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Got sent home early because of the weather.... 3 or 4 inches of snow, lol, 1st official day of spring, my a$$.

Was doing 80 on 395, zipping around on the local roads, E39, DWS 235's, some balls, traction control off, no problem, surrounded by a bunch of dumba$$ non driving morons in AWD everythings, all freaking out, going turtle speeds..... Not a single cop around, pure hooliganism, felt good to be alive, but I sh!t on all the stupid drivers out there.
    Still winter in Las Vegas about a mounth ago, overcast today...Strip View 001.JPG

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Looks like it's cold and miserable over there. Stay warm!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast