Thread: xmas project car 2003 325i V8 swap

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive 50i

xmas project car 2003 325i V8 swap

Hello all,

This year I was gifted a 2003 325i that is in overall decent condition but needs to TLC to get running. supposedly the car was running when parked and has been sitting in a garage for 2 years (I know it has been in a garage for 2 years) the fist plan is to drain gas, change fluids, slap on a battery and see what we have. However that is more to get the engine into a state that can be sold to afford the real goal. a 2003 BMW 325LS .

goals are:
    - 400 - 450 HP at the crank
    - 5 or 6 speed manual
    - limited fabrication mounts and the like are fine but i rather not start cutting into tunnels and firewalls
    - sleepy-er i want it to appear pretty stock from the outside and have the shiftier in about the same position
    - the ability to turn tires from a solid into a gas

to that end I am starting to put together my parts lists and begin the hunt on Craigslist and pick a part places. The Plan right now is to grab an iron block LS from a truck to keep costs down and pair that with a T56 as that appears to be the simplest, sturdiest, and cheapest setup that gets me a manual transmission. I want to be able to make between 400 and 450 HP at the crank and i want to have a manual 5 or 6 speed transmission. I do not so much care about getting gauges and other electronics to work together at this point and I am going to be tackling changes to suspension and the like down the road. I will need to swap in an LSD, probably from an M3 as that seems to be easiest but i am not sure if i will need to worry about axles or not.

I would love any assistance or recommendations on any of this from anyone who has done or thought of doing something like this!! I am unsure about the transmission on this and maybe there is a better alternative as well as anything i may have over looked at this point. I will try to keep this updated as I go.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    there is probably a a-z write up somewhere in the engine conversion forum LS swap aren't new.
    everyone will know its not a bmw power plant so sleeper is right.
    track goals? or just burn out champ?