Thread: Whats wrong with my e9 528

My Cars
    E39 528

Whats wrong with my e39 528

So basically I live in Connecticut and it’s december & super cold. My car having 213k miles (manual) starts fine and drives fine for about 10 minutes until it starts stuttering and rpms basically won’t go anywhere when accelerating . Idle is atrocious and the whole cabin is vibrating. However I can shut off the car and start it again and the problem seems to be gone until the next dayish . The check engine light is on.. what could this be??? I’m completely confused with this one

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Read the codes.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if you have temperature induced cracked gaskets causing vacuum leaks. But codes will assist in determining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39 528
    Expensive fixes?? Easy??

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Welcome to the forum Ttrav98.
    Take it to one of the chain auto parts stores, they will read the code for free.
    Make sure you write down the Pxxxx code and then post it here.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    What year 528i ? Is it a '99 or '00 ? Are any of the dash warning lights on? We do need the codes to help, but what you describe sounds like the car was operating in limp mode, which can be caused by several issues. In my case ('99 528i), it was caused by a bad throttle body.

My Cars
    E39 528
    It’s a 1998

- - - Updated - - -

Also the traction control light is on

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttrav98 View Post
    So basically I live in Connecticut and it’s december & super cold. My car having 213k miles (manual) starts fine and drives fine for about 10 minutes until it starts stuttering and rpms basically won’t go anywhere when accelerating . Idle is atrocious and the whole cabin is vibrating. However I can shut off the car and start it again and the problem seems to be gone until the next dayish . The check engine light is on.. what could this be??? I’m completely confused with this one
    Maybe bad thermostat, running cold. Get to autozone and get the codes read for free.... the 6 is childsplay compared to the V8 complexity wise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    E39 528
    I just got the codes and there was 10 of them... I was told cylinder 3 and cylinder 5 then the guy said to just see a mechanic cuz he didn’t have a definition for the others

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    I just got the codes and there was 10 of them... I was told cylinder 3 and cylinder 5 then the guy said to just see a mechanic cuz he didn’t have a definition for the others
    He didnt give you the numbers? You could start by changing the plugs, and swapping the #3 and #5 coils with other cilinders 1,2,6,4. And see if the misfire still at 3 and 5 or moved to where you swapped the coils.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Without knowing the actual codes it is rather hard to pinpoint...
    And not knowing if they are new, pending, etc ...
    Next time write them down, get them cleared, go on a drive, get them read again, write those down, and report back.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Could be a clogged CCV...
    I would disconnect the hose that connects to the front of the intake manifold and check for ice and gunk.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    E39 528
    Guys I got some codes, here they are P0305 P0303
    P1188
    P1189
    P0173
    P0170

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Based on the codes, sounds like Jason called it. In this cold weather, any condensation in the CVV system will freeze or form that yellow mustard-looking sludge and clog the vent ways. This is what causes the P1188/89 codes. The other codes are likely from the intake sucking in oil. This type of thing happens due to short trips in cold weather when the engine is not running long enough or hot enough to burn off the internal condensation.

You can do one of two things:
    Run the engine for an hour to heat things up and clear the condensation. While you're doing this, check to see that your temp gauge is in the center. If it's on the cold side of center, your t-stat may have to be replaced - they fail in the stuck-open position.

The other thing is to replace the whole CVV system. You may have to do this if the diaphragm in the valve has ruptured. Try the first thing first. Your engine has the simple CVV system, so, replacing it is much easier than the later I6s.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    95 M5, Euro S50 E30
    Errors cover both banks so intake track leaks post MAF and CCV system would be the first two items to attach IMO

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed CT View Post
    Based on the codes, sounds like Jason called it. In this cold weather, any condensation in the CVV system will freeze or form that yellow mustard-looking sludge and clog the vent ways. This is what causes the P1188/89 codes. The other codes are likely from the intake sucking in oil. This type of thing happens due to short trips in cold weather when the engine is not running long enough or hot enough to burn off the internal condensation.

You can do one of two things:
    Run the engine for an hour to heat things up and clear the condensation. While you're doing this, check to see that your temp gauge is in the center. If it's on the cold side of center, your t-stat may have to be replaced - they fail in the stuck-open position.

The other thing is to replace the whole CVV system. You may have to do this if the diaphragm in the valve has ruptured. Try the first thing first. Your engine has the simple CVV system, so, replacing it is much easier than the later I6s.
    I may have the same problem..... didn't do the reading yet. I left the car at work from tuesday, went today to pick it up, started it up and right away the CEL. Yesterday i started it and there was no light. But it has been very cold, around -10c.... so i will chack the ccv hoses later today or tomorrow. I have a 98 528 too.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Be careful when you guys check the CVV hoses/tubes. They get very brittle with age.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    E39 528
    hey guys a little update.. I was just about to change my spark plugs when I took off the oil cap and that yellow sludge everyone was talking about was on that and In the oil... wtf??????? Also reeks of gas. Someone please help
    Last edited by Ttrav98; 01-01-2018 at 05:40 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    hey guys a little update.. I was just about to change my spark plugs when I took off the oil cap and that yellow sludge everyone was talking about was on that and In the oil... wtf??????? Also reeks of gas. Someone please help
    There is a oil vent system that gets clogged up and causes that oil mayo, plus the extreme cold makes any oil vapor freeze and makes the car misfire.
    Like some one said previously be careful checking the hoses, because they get brittle.....

My Cars
    E39 528
    Is it driveable? I’ve been told by a few people to leave it parked and wait for parts to come in ..

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Is it driveable? I’ve been told by a few people to leave it parked and wait for parts to come in ..
    If you can remove the top hose and look if it is clogged. You can start the car and let it run and warm up. And it will clear a little, but if it is too gunked up, better wait.

My Cars
    E39 528
    So I purchased new spark plugs, ccv system (and hose) and fully synthetic for an oil change... should these replacements fix the problem?

My Cars
    528iT
    I'd get the intake boots while youre at it. They'll prolly crumble when removing them to access the CCV, so just replace with new in this weather.

My Cars
    E39 528
    Hey all. I replaced the spark plugs and the ccv.. I still have a vacuum leaks and multiple codes. My abs light also just came on. I have 214k miles. Should I continue to work with the car and keep up with maintenance? When is it time to call it quits? I love the car to death but I need opinions.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Depends on your finances (compare repair costs to purchase price or payments), intent (I am keeping TAB until cancer, aka rust, kills), and level of comfort working on your vehicle (I am comfortable and am willing to call in pros if needed).
    I would say keep it but depends on your mix of the three.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    My experience, and I have over 200K on E39s now, is they can be maddening and drive you crazy at times, but unless you just throw parts at them they really aren't very expensive to keep in shape. If I were in your position I would buy a codereader of your own, one with freeze frame so you can see what the conditions were when it coded. Plus you're not running back and forth to the auto parts store.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs