Thread: Fully automatic roof with tattered rear window - can I put a semi-automatic or manual

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci

Fully automatic roof with tattered rear window - can I put a semi-automatic or manual

Hi all,

I've read a variety of posts on this and hoping to get clarity:

My '99 328 with a fully automatic roof and, just like my '95 325, the rear window is junk and the zipper section is also junk so I can't merely replace the window. I'm in the market for a replacement roof and curious if I can get a SEMI-automatic or manual roof and ...unbolt my current one and bolt in the "new"?

Thanks in advance,

Jay
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    It is not as simple as bolting on a non-auto top & frame. You can convert to a manual roof to eliminate the complexity of the motors and reduce cost of replacement. Requires some additional parts.

PM member "66 6" for details and source for the required changeover parts.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    It is not as simple as bolting on a non-auto top & frame. You can convert to a manual roof to eliminate the complexity of the motors and reduce cost of replacement. Requires some additional parts.

PM member "66 6" for details and source for the required changeover parts.
    Thank you. I know 66 6, have PM'd him before. Happy New Year!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by jpilk99 View Post
    Hi all,

I've read a variety of posts on this and hoping to get clarity:

My '99 328 with a fully automatic roof and, just like my '95 325, the rear window is junk and the zipper section is also junk so I can't merely replace the window. I'm in the market for a replacement roof and curious if I can get a SEMI-automatic or manual roof and ...unbolt my current one and bolt in the "new"?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

I'm confused. How is another old top better than just putting new skin on the top you already have? You can get new skin for about $1000 and put it on by yourself, or you can take the car to an upholstery shop and they can put the skin on for you.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    I’m told that putting on a new skin is brutal - and I can imagine, with the crazy straps BMW employs and other unknown subtleties, the this job would be near impossible to do - with the expectation of it coming out right. I can get an entire car for $500-$800. I’m just trying to find one with a good roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    A new top is not that difficult to do, and costs less than $600. It does take some time, maybe 8 hours or so, but not especially difficult. Especially if you get the top with the plastic tabs. You will need a screwdriver (an electric screwdriver would be helpful and save time and blisters, there are a lot of screws), a drill to remove pop rivets, and new pop rivets and a pop rivet gun. I have done mine twice.

I suspect it is easier to change the canvas than it is to change an entire roof. And I am sure the canvas on the new roof is not brand new and will have a limited lifetime as well.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by 110reef View Post
    A new top is not that difficult to do, and costs less than $600. It does take some time, maybe 8 hours or so, but not especially difficult. Especially if you get the top with the plastic tabs. You will need a screwdriver (an electric screwdriver would be helpful and save time and blisters, there are a lot of screws), a drill to remove pop rivets, and new pop rivets and a pop rivet gun. I have done mine twice.

I suspect it is easier to change the canvas than it is to change an entire roof. And I am sure the canvas on the new roof is not brand new and will have a limited lifetime as well.
    I swap the complete assemblies in about 1.5 hours. I sell them for $350 -$700 depending on the quality of the canvas etc. I get the old assembly as part of the swap.

My Cars
    E36 328i 4dr, E36 328ic
    What additional parts if any are required to swap to a manual top from automatic? I can get an a top from a blown 318 will it fit my 328?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    BMW offered three options. Full manual: you do it all. Semi Auto: you unlock the top at the windshield and press a button. Full Auto: you press a button.
    If you plan to go full manual besides using a full manual or semi auto top, you will need to lock and unlock the tonneau without the use of a motor.

Full manual cars had a cabling system with a handle on the drivers side rear speaker cover. This handle allowed you to unlock the tonneau to store and release the top. It basically uses the same locking claws that the semi and full auto tonneau used except the releasing handle is in the car vs the op rod to the trunk motor.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I still do not see how you are getting ahead. Your car is 20 years old, the donor cars are all going to be 20 years old, the fabric top will be toast on any donor your find.

If you are not up to the challenge of putting new fabric on, take the car to the upholstery shop and pay them to do it. It's not very difficult to put new fabric on, I did it by myself. My car is a '94, and the routing of the strings that pull the butterflies into place is different than the available diagrams, and this was a struggle for me. My original top had the pockets on the sides, but the replacement tops do not have them, and the variance made following the instructions a little bit difficult. Neither of these issues affects you because the diagrams and instructions are written for your car. Get a new top and headliner, you'll be much happier than screwing around trying to reinvent the wheel, as it were.

The full manual top requires parts that possibly are not even available in the USA because marketing geeks decided that the buyers were going to be upscale, and a manual top is not upscale.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    I swap the complete assemblies in about 1.5 hours. I sell them for $350 -$700 depending on the quality of the canvas etc. I get the old assembly as part of the swap.
    66.6: Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk