Thread: F10 sleeps for 2.5 yr, how to restart pls?

My Cars
    2011 528i

Lightbulb F10 sleeps for 2.5 yr, how to restart pls?

Hello all F10 fans,

I was on an oversea work assignment and left my 2011 F10 in the States by disconnecting the battery (not removing from the car) with a full tank of gas. Now I’m back to the States (after 2.5 yrs) and heard from people that I should consider getting a brand new battery as my existing one might have been worn out and reconnecting it might damage my car’s computer? Can anyone kindly give me advices on what I should do to restart my car? Should I get BMW roadside assistance to restart the car for me? Or I can sinply try to reconnect the car with the existing battery and jump start it? I also heard the cost to replace the battery at dealer is like $5k?! TIA and happy new year!!!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i
    No BMW will not charge you 5,000 for a battery, go to Interstate Batteries and get a brand new battery for 120 bucks. I wouldnt start the car on that fuel thats in the car right now

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Whoever you are talking to about your car, including Collin here don't know what is going on.

Reconnect the battery and attempt to start the car. If the battery hasn't magically discharged the engine should crank, followed by starting. If the engine does not crank the battery is discharged, it should be replaced. The load presented to the alternator trying to charge a completely dead battery can damage it.

A new battery from the dealer is going to be in the 400-500 range, including installation and registration with the cars system.

Installing an Interstate battery in there without registration is a terrible idea, and you aren't going to find a Group 49 850cca 92Ah AGM for $120.

As for the old gasoline, I've started and run cars with older gas than that in them without issue. That said I would evacuate it and refill with fresh gasoline as soon as possible. At least top off the tank with some fresh premium.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Don't jump the car start with a fully charged fresh battery, you will have to register the battery, find a BMW shop who will do that. You can drive the car safely for a short time with the battery not registered. QStart it and fill with gas. after it has run a while and gotten warmed up change the oil and flush the brake fluid (due every two years). Tires are probably flat spotted but with enough driving will be come round again
    Last edited by jclausen; 12-29-2017 at 09:46 AM.

My Cars
    2011 528i
    Hi all,

thank you for all the replies! Just an update, no wonder bimmwr is called the UDM! After being in the hibernation mode for nearly 2.5 yrs, I reconnected my battery and was amazed that I was able to START the car and drove around without jumpstarting at all! Only called AAA to add pressure to the tires and I drove my car to th nearby shop to have oil and stuff changed. tho my battery lifespan has about 20% left so I went ahead and replaced it as well ...