Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Header for Supercharged Engines

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck

Best Header for Supercharged Engines

Good Evening All,

Hope everyone has had a good safe, holiday thus far. While we were riding back up I was doing some reading, ETM scanning, and thinking by the way I think I have figured out how to run an S52 on OBDII management in an OBDI car I will update that thread as I figure that out. I got to thinking about the exhaust setup that I will be running on this car. I currently have Supersprint rep headers straight back to a Remus muffler out back, true dual, approximately 2.25" diameter. Going to be going to either a 3" or 3.5" exhaust after the headers but am having trouble deciding what the best route would be. I've noticed there are three common aftermarket header choices for the M/S Series 6 Cylinders that come in the E36 that I have listed out below.

First is the current header I have, Supersprint and their replica counterparts, stainless steel and decent welds depending on where you get them from. HP gains on an N/A engine are minimal at best, on a supercharged engine there is some rumored improvement at the top end.

Second is the Turner Motorsport shorty style header. HP and TQ gains seems to be best in the mid range while sacrificing some power up top.

Third is the RMS longtube header, according to my research it seems as though this is the largest diameter header available for the E36 aside from getting something custom fabricated. This seems like it would be the most beneficial header for an S/C setup due to their larger diameter.

My question I am posing to the forum is what header setup would be best for a Supercharged application. I know a lot of people run the shorties on N/A because they keep that mid-range torque, the problem is not a lot of people are building S/C E36 and information is scattered around. If anyone has any dyno sheets or feedback on what header setup would be most effective for this setup it would be appreciated. Hoping this will be a resourceful thread to those who are going the S/C route.

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

My Cars
    86 325es
    I would try this one

Seriously though I have nothing to add, good luck

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You are doing the same research many of us did 5-10 years ago before selling the blower and buying a turbo. The ultimate choice for a 3.0-3.2L trying to maximize power is RMS. The budget choice for an S50-52 max power build is Raceland Euro replicas. The only reason you would choose Turner shorties, which still add top end power, is if you need headers to fit the stock mid pipe — good headers if you need to swap in the stock mid for inspection purposes.

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    I would try this one

Seriously though I have nothing to add, good luck
    Appreciate it, I know a lot of people have told me to go turbo but it's not the direction I had planned for this car. Once I get done with this build I'm looking at doing a 24V E30 Turbo build.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    You are doing the same research many of us did 5-10 years ago before selling the blower and buying a turbo. The ultimate choice for a 3.0-3.2L trying to maximize power is RMS. The budget choice for an S50-52 max power build is Raceland Euro replicas. The only reason you would choose Turner shorties, which still add top end power, is if you need headers to fit the stock mid pipe — good headers if you need to swap in the stock mid for inspection purposes.
    Yea a lot of threads I have found regarding S/C are from about 5-10 years ago and most of them just kind of trail off without getting any real input, information, or feedback. I'm hoping that these threads will so that other people looking to go S/C have something to reference.

I figured the RMS would yield the highest gains. I found some Turner shorty reps and a Bimmerworld Midpipe for a pretty good price on a Facebook BMW group but didn't know if the shorties would be restrictive. The midpipe has a 3" outlet so it would be pretty easy for me to get the rest of the exhaust fabbed at an exhaust shop. But this is option 2 behind the RMS headers. Thanks.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    While supercharged, I ran stock S52, BMP shorties, USA Supersprint replicas, and RMS. With the supercharger you can never get enough power so you keep trying mods. Add Schrick cams as well.

The advantage of the Raceland Euro SS replicas is that you can fit a real Euro SS midpipe and real Euro SS rear exhaust. The Euro and USA exhausts do not fit together.

If you do go RMS consider mating it to a 3.0 single like the AA Race exhaust. Bimmerworld may make one as well. Some custom welding required to mate RMS to anything and some don’t like to hack up their expensive new parts since it makes resale harder. I hacked up a real Supersprint Euro midpipe to mate to RMS headers.

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    I'm assuming that you got the best result from the RMS headers. Either way I go I will be going with a custom setup from the headerback, most likely 3" single pipe. I have the Supersprint US Replicas already, wouldn't be to hard to get a custom 3" mated up to that. The set of shorties I found were Schmiedmann Replicas of the TMS shorties and the bimmerworld midpipe. Price seems pretty good for both pieces but I would rather get the RMS since they seem to be the best performer of the big three.

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

jmargo is offline Guess who's back ? Moderator
    My Cars
    CTS-V , Blown 332i
    I'm currently running the AA full race exhaust and headers. This exhaust breathes quite well.
    Sias Tuned, Vortech Blown, 3.2L S52...456WHP/360WTQ

Sias Tuning | HowertonEngineering | Davis Motorsports Club

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    I'm currently running the AA full race exhaust and headers. This exhaust breathes quite well.
    So you're running the complete AA system, I haven't looked at AAs products in a while, I'll have to take a look at them. Those numbers in your sig are pretty solid numbers for a S/C E36 though, very nice.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    I ran the european E36 M3 manifolds
    with SuperSprint Euro mid X
    and rear section

with my EuroSport Twinscrew.

Effective
    Purring
    and Handsome

(fourth one back)

then
    evolved into AR DESIGN
    Last edited by milKt; 12-28-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    maharaj1, i am running the old school AA Long Tube Headers along with their track pipe (i don't think they offer them any more). UUC TSE Muffler. This has done very well for my setup.

old pic

20141124_195710 by William Wallace, on Flickr
    Last edited by Tanks95; 12-28-2017 at 06:51 PM.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    ....I would stick with a long tube variant. Your goal is to allow the gasses to escape as quickly and smoothly as possible.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro
    for a supercharger its about reducing pumping losses rather than tuned length etc as that will show more gain the more mass flow you try and move through the engine . so having the right tube size, not excessive length and relatively straight primaries that transition nicely off the head without stupid bends, nice merge into the collector.
    Last edited by digger; 12-30-2017 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    I put on Turner shorties while I was NA. I am sure they are not ideal now that I have boost but they were $400 and a pain to install. I feel I am married to them lol.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    skateboard
    Best bet is to stick with the euro SS headers, and SS euro race midpipes like Milkt had on his car. Those were on sale recently. I'm currently running that setup on my n/a s50. Made 245whp/240wtq. I'm also swapping to obd2. Should be done by this time next week.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    Pretty sure I had a thread I made years back showing differences with my exhaust setups with dyno charts...I'm sure if you look through my threads you'll find it. Bottom line is the RMS headers seem to be the best for s/c applications, I picked up a lot of power using them with a 3" exhaust over my previous full header back Supersprint US spec setup. I have not had another dyno to confirm what the difference between the 3" is vs. the euro supersprint midpipe and catback but I didn't notice any difference in the butt dyno. The 3" exhaust was too loud for me...

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    I know that's not for for Superchargers, but good luck finding one of those anyway!!! Those are almost as rare as hen's teeth!

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    It’s also a heavy beast. I was not so impressed. I ran an original steedspeed for a year. I preferred my boostlogic, which is also NLA. I now run the twinscroll steedspeed but it is not so great either because the wastegate port is not adequate for a fast spoiling turbo and the wastegate piping is a bit convoluted. But twinscroll is better than open for a street car since it improves response significantly.

My Cars
    skateboard
    It’s also a heavy beast. I was not so impressed. I ran an original steedspeed for a year. I preferred my boostlogic, which is also NLA. I now run the twinscroll steedspeed but it is not so great either because the wastegate port is not adequate for a fast spoiling turbo and the wastegate piping is a bit convoluted. But twinscroll is better than open for a street car since it improves response significantly.
    My Steed Speed performed fairly well with a HTA3586. Built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    It works fine. I just don’t think it’s function matched all the hype. It located an EFR 8374 poorly - turbine housing hit the FCAB eyeball and weighed a ton. My boostlogic did everything it did better in a more compact package that weighed much less. After trying both of the steedspeeds, I wish I had just kept the boostlogic.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    After all that hype and years of design and feedback,
    STEED still didn't come through.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    They came through in the sense that they are the only bottom mount twinscroll that is not custom built. That is why I got one.

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    ...since we're here, does anyone wanna sell me their crappy, old, useless Boostlogic?

I tried to give chikinhed/Brad my doll hairs for his open Steed, but he disappeared all of a sudden!

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    4.9L 540i/Porsche 997
    Run, do not walk, away from RMS. Never met more incompetent mechanics who call themselves "tuners". Seriously, from peronal experience.
    22RPD Tuning '95 540i/6 custom turbo mit Borg Warner S400sxe/Rebello Racing 4.9L M62/JE pistons/Arrow rods/custom cams/S62 crankshaft/Darton sleeved/Focal custom stereo
    Porsche 996 Turbo Evosport GT 700-[700hp]-my daily

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I would not use RMS for tuning but their hardware is excellent. The best on the market. Seriously. From personal experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast