Thread: Converting my 2003 Z4 2.5i auto to manual?

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i auto

Converting my 2003 Z4 2.5i auto to manual?

Hey guys I have a few questions! Could really use some help abd also very curious what your thoughts are. I'm only 17 first of all anx I finally saved up enough money to buy a car. So I looked around and fell in love with her st first sight. A 2003 BMW Z4 2.5 automatic with about 58,000 miles on her. Only 6800😃. After buying her I noticed a few problems and also decided I wanted to look into converting it from an automatic to a manual. Now first all I might be restarted is this possible if so how "possible" or how complicated is it going to be for the shop. Do I need to buy a new transmission or is it pissible to have to old one converted? Is this something that people have done before? How expensive is this????? Even a range would be verrry helpful I'm very curios on that part my friends. However money not toooo big an issue I might also just buy a 3.0 manual and upgrade. Most likely a engine with some 50 k miles already in it. How much would that be. Also I noticed that soon after I bought the car my left side/driver side sper(s) stopped working or very very quiet? Sounds like the bass might still be working? Mabye Mabye not? Is this a blown speaker or a wiring issue?? Also how much is something like that to get fixed? Another thing is the passenger airbag light is on and the lady owner said it always had been on. I looked it up abd looks like a recall issue? How much about is that to fix? Any answers or thought would be soooooo great to hear guys! So exited to hear it al thanks again my friends and keep driving THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!!! and merrry Christmas to all my fries out here and happy holidays !!

My Cars
    z3
    2003 Z4 is an E85 not an E89, I will move the thread to the correct section

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    Welcome to the forum. If you want a manual, sell the auto and buy one. The electronics will not allow a simple swap. The speakers are probably shot, but replacement is a DIY, and I would suggest you learn to do most of the maintenance/repairs yourself unless you have a large income and little time.

Is the airbag light on when a passenger is in the seat? Open the passenger door and check the switch on the end of the dash is on. If that doesn't solve the issue it may be sensor in the seat needs to be replaced.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Sell it and buy a stick

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    pull and reseat the plug and reset the light with scanner.
    I don't remember the light going out on its own and ended up buying and resetting with a scanner/tool.
    Lowest priced I have currently, but not the most intuitive scanner: https://smile.amazon.com/Creator-Tra...or+bmw+scanner

And if you really want an automatic. Fix your current ride of all flaws, list and sell to buy a manual version.
    As noted above, you have to 'trick' the cars ECM/PCM to think it is no longer automatic which entails a compete reprogram, a bunch of wiring and plug at automatic gearbox termination.
    Then... you have to buy all the hard parts which can be costly and time consuming because there is no 'kit' to do this on an N52.
    Cars before the late 70's when the PCM was introduced were WAY(and I mean WAYYYYYY) easier to swap from auto/manual due to very little design difference in the engine controls.
    You could swap a auto trans in an afternoon in your driveway if you had all the hard parts on hand. Bell housing, clutch&pedal assemblies, driveshaft, etc.

PS sounds like a nice car. Post up a pic?!