Thread: Really $ 1,000??? Wood Tree Right Dash Panel Trim- Any other replacements?

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0

Really $ 1,000??? Wood Tree Right Dash Panel Trim- Any other replacements?

My wood grain trim on the dashboard has developed a few hairline cracks in it...

I'm seeing outrageous prices up to $1k

Is there an affordable outlet to buy these??

It is just a snap in replacement piece correct??

Other visual options??

2003 BMW Z4

Is there also a site for purchasing center Grey Vent Trim pieces?? I have a chip on my current one...

THX!!
    Last edited by 2L8ULUZ; 12-25-2017 at 10:03 PM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW X5 Xdrive35d
    Can’t say for cheaper replacements other than google part numbers, but other visual options without seeing the crack. Can you fill it with some resin and polish it off? Another option is to wrap the trim, that is if you like the look though. Personally I was considering changing my carbon fibre wrapped trim for wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    Will say it again... You will go broke buying parts and maintaining that car at the dealer. It's a 10+ year old BMW, I would find a local reputable mechanic and be comfortable buying used parts in cases like these

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0
    I understand using a local mechanic... I haved used Bo in the past for other BMW cars... I'm just looking for other outlets in buying this panel part...

I have found some NOS for around $550 and used panels with similar chips as mine for less...

Thanks for the feedback

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by 2L8ULUZ View Post
    I understand using a local mechanic... I haved used Bo in the past for other BMW cars... I'm just looking for other outlets in buying this panel part...

I have found some NOS for around $550 and used panels with similar chips as mine for less...

Thanks for the feedback
    The problem is the car has been out of production for 10yrs and parts are drying up. Everything that is bespoke for the Z4 will go up in price as the parts become scarce. That being said, the dash parts have always been expensive. I would explore having the surface refinished on the one you have now.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    The problem is the car has been out of production for 10yrs and parts are drying up. Everything that is bespoke for the Z4 will go up in price as the parts become scarce. That being said, the dash parts have always been expensive. I would explore having the surface refinished on the one you have now.
    +1

Parts like the dash trim were bound to be $$$ headaches this late in the car's run

Every wood BMW trim I've seen cracks like that. The problem is worse in AZ. Even if you replace it, it's going to crack again and probably soon (especially if it's another used part). If you really want it fixed *right* you may be better off switching to aluminum trim or something... if you really want the stock wood, if you are a talented crafstman you can sand down the top resin layer to the wood veneer (it's the epoxy/resin that cracks, the wood is usually intact) and then re-epoxy it.

Can't really vinyl wrap cracked wood trims either, the cracks show through the vinyl and even if you sand them down/smooth, the crack will eventually propagate again and appear from underneath the vinyl

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......