My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep

35d misfire: just replaced glow plugs and controller

Hey all, so I’m hitting a conundrum with my wife’s 35d. I had a misfire on the number 5 cylinder, so I replaced all 6 glow plugs, and then the glow plug controller. It was a pia to get to, but only took me an afternoon. I thought the problem was solved as the check engine light went out immediately. Two weeks later, I’ve got the same code popping back up when I start the vehicle, and I’m at a bit of a loss as to where to go next. I did not replace the harness for the glow plugs, but I haven’t found any other instances of those being at fault. I’m gonna try and figure out if there’s a bad ground somewhere maybe, but my next thought is could the controller have gone already?? Anyone else see anything like this on a diesel? I’ve heard these motors are rated to start at pretty low temps even without the plugs, but I think I’m going to be parting with the x5 here in the next year if the problems continue. Just this summer I had to replace the blower resistor, then the blower, battery, and I had to give up on the comfort access and pull the fuse because it kept killing my battery randomly. We do love the car, but I don’t have time to do the same damn job twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"No I'm sorry, I'm not prepared to pursue my line of enquiry any further as I think this is getting too silly." Monty Python

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would have thought the controller would have to be programmed.

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I would have thought the controller would have to be programmed.
    I’m not sure. Didn’t find anything on that when I was doing my research, but it worked great for two weeks, then popped the same warning again

Edit: double checked, can’t find anything on reprogram of the new glow plug controller.

Last edited by thedcorvette; 12-25-2017 at 06:43 PM.

"No I'm sorry, I'm not prepared to pursue my line of enquiry any further as I think this is getting too silly." Monty Python

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep
    I decided to play it safe and take it back apart before I drove it again just to make sure I hadn’t missed anything stupid, or just forgot how to tighten a plug, but I didn’t see anything wrong. I took the liberty of cleaning all the boots while I was under there and double checking they were secure. Didn’t find anything obviously wrong or missing, so I slapped it back together. Intake manifold isn’t too bad once you know how to get the clips off, but if there is a bad wire it will be a royal pain, as they all run underneath coolant lines. Best I can figure is it’s an erroneous indication or the new control box is dead too

My Cars
    2009 BMW X5 Xdrive35d
    What code exactly is coming up? For a misfire I would more suspect injector over glow plugs. Is it specifically when the engine is cold?
    These cars have a problem with the plastic near the back of the engine letting water on to injector # 5 & 6 (mainly 5), might be worth investigating. Lots of cases on Xoutpost. Check for damp foam near the back of the engine.
    I recently had my glow plugs die, first 2 went then suddenly it was all 6. 2 were actually bad, and the controller. But it never cause any misfire. What diagnostic software are you using to read codes?
    Controller shouldn’t need to be programmed, from my experience anyway.

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep

Quote Originally Posted by Cooki3Monster View Post
    What code exactly is coming up? For a misfire I would more suspect injector over glow plugs. Is it specifically when the engine is cold?
    These cars have a problem with the plastic near the back of the engine letting water on to injector # 5 & 6 (mainly 5), might be worth investigating. Lots of cases on Xoutpost. Check for damp foam near the back of the engine.
    I recently had my glow plugs die, first 2 went then suddenly it was all 6. 2 were actually bad, and the controller. But it never cause any misfire. What diagnostic software are you using to read codes?
    Controller shouldn’t need to be programmed, from my experience anyway.

I’m not sure, I had my wife do it and she took a pic (that I lost), but the first time we had it pulled I do think there may have been a misfire code, although I’m positive the number 5 was throwing a glow plug error. It was only misfiring when cold before I did the plug and controller swap, so i figured the glow plug was causing the misfire. No issues once it’s running, but I haven’t done a cold start since the light came back on. The injector issue would make more sense, especially if it’s causing glow plugs to fail. That said I’ll have to pull the code again, if it’s only for the plug I may just order a new plug controller, I’ll have to read up on the injectors and get back to you.

Edit: my number 5 plug was pretty obviously not firing when I pulled it out, and the misfire on cold starts did clear up immediately. I didn’t notice any damp foam, and living in New Mexico we don’t get a lot of moisture. I don’t think it’s injector based off the fact that the motor is smooth once it’s warm. I’m leaning towards my glow plug module having failed 2 weeks after install .

Last edited by thedcorvette; 12-26-2017 at 12:33 AM.

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep
    So update to this thread;

Ran codes again
    Cylinder 5 Glow plug circuit
    Oxides of nitrogen sensor circuit range/circuit range - performance bank 1
    Egr control circuit

I replaced the plug module just to make sure that was ruled out before I pressed on, still no misfire on cold start before or after the second replacement. Hopefully the glow plug circuit error is residual, otherwise I’m gonna have to figure out how to tear out that harness. It looks like I might have a bad sensor or two to deal with, hopefully an easier fix than the glow plug controller

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep
    Last update for a minute. Just talked to bmw North America, the nox sensors on e70 diesels along with cat converters are warrantied out to 120k miles and 10 yrs. Otherwise there are two nox sensors at $500 apiece(us). That’s a bit of a good news for me right now, and that’s probably what’s been throwing the CEL on the last couple weeks. I’m still not sure about the glow plug module, but the wife was out of town and it’s about a 2 hour job and 111$ to remove it from the equation if you know what you’re doing.
    Note that the first one I bought was a BEHR unit and didn’t have any oem bmw stamp, new one did. I got it from Ecs tuning. If I’d had someone to hold a camera I’d have videod how to disassemble and reassemble the intake without removing the egr, it comes apart in about 30 mins if you know how to get the clips off/where they are, once the intake is out the plugs are exposed, and it’s a hell of a lot easier to access the control module imho. That thing is buried in there, and to get the long round clip off I had to break the nub off on one side each time I replaced it. Everything is 10-11 mm, and there’s two metric hex keys on the dust cover that are the same size as the egr retainer bolts. They are recessed such that you can’t see them, but not hard to remove. I recommend grabbing a can of brake parts and electrical cleaner, as well as the intake gaskets. You need 6 square and 6 round. The egr separates from the cooler with the little hose clamp on the left side easily enough, if you want to clean it out do it once the intake is removed, it’s much easier to get the bottom bolts that way. You can remove the big hose on the front of the egr easily enough with a flat head, just pop the retainer ring halfway up and pull it off, tuck it away somewhere. I’ll take a pic and diagram it if anyone wants, otherwise that’s all I can think of for gotchas. BMW clips can be a pia.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Thx for the update, looking forward to seeing if your problem is finally resolved.
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    2009 BMW X5 Xdrive35d
    Thanks for the update, good to hear it appears to have gone. I presume as there haven’t been any more updates it hasn’t come back? I would have replied sooner, but I’ve been away all over the place. As a preventative measure, I’d keep an eye on the plastic at the back of the engine bay and also check your thermostats, it can really contribute to the original glow plug failure, and if they are bad, it will affect the new controller and plugs in not too long. Good tips in there, the plugs are the worst thing ever!

My Cars
    Chevelle, jeep

Final update hopefully, I took it to bmw in El Paso to have the no2 sensor fixed. They took the car for two weeks and fixed the sensors and did a full workup on the car. They fixed my passenger airbag recall as well, only thing I paid was for a gasket that was replaced on my intake from the turbo. 300 bucks there, and I spent some more at firestone as they were cheaper for tires and labor. Dealer was honest with me and I’d recommend them again, they reported my left rear tire was down to the steel belt, which I didn’t believe, but I positively verified at firestone, so good on them for the save. Had to eat 2 grand in tires and tpms sensors, and tpms came on during the drive home last night, so might have to harass firestone a bit to do it right . They did however attempt to pin a current draw for me, which turned out to be the comfort access handle, so I’ll be digging my old thread on disconnecting the rear door out today and attempting to fix the wiring on my passenger door handles.

Glow plugs checked out fine, so problem solved hopefully. I think I probably just bit off on an old warning unfortunately, the no2 sensor and egr codes were throwing the light

Last edited by thedcorvette; 01-28-2018 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    2012 BMW X5 35D E70
    I'm having the exact same issue here: 2012 X5 35D E70. Code DTC---DDE Glow plug cylinder 5, activation

Replaced all 6 glow plugs, didn't work. Replaced the control module with an OEM part (BERU), still no help. Had my wife take it to the Sterling, VA BMW dealership. They replaced the NOX sensor which was still under warrantee and diagnosed the problem as me having used a "non-BMW" control module which they said wasn't talking to the computer.

I ordered the BMW control module and installed it (getting very good at removing the intake manifold). Side note: as I was starting the job again, I found both hex screws missing from the insulation cover; two nuts were missing from the intake manifold and a third (the one in the very back) was rounded off and I barely got it off; the screw for the dipstick was missing; the screw under the EGR valve for the intake manifold was missing and the BERU control module was just sitting on the posts with both screws missing! Can't tell you how pissed off I was.

Anyway, got all my missing parts back from the dealership and installed the BMW control module to no avail. Still have the cylinder 5 code. I find it unfortunate that the dealership simply wipes their hands from the diagnosis since you didn't have them put the control module in. There was never anything wrong with the module.

Looks like the intake manifold is coming off again and I'll be looking for a wiring issue I guess. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    2013 X5d
    Would this thread be related to getting a generic P067F code? If so, wondering if I should wait and not replace glow plugs and controller and just have dealer replace Nox sensors? I’ve got a 13 with 64k miles.