Thread: BMW battery charger.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive

BMW battery charger.

Does it have to be a BMW battery charger or any of the current smart chargers will work?
    Big price difference.
    Thanks

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    This is what I use ...

https://smile.amazon.com/Battery-Ten...battery+tender

It works great.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    Thank for the response.
    I ended up getting a BMW advance battery charging system from somebody. Plugged in it through the cigarette lighter and left it on all night .
    Didnt seem to do anything . Red light stayed on for 14 hours
    I read in the manual (2014 328i) that chargers should never be plugged into 12v factory sockets.
    So why do they make a charger with a cigarette lighter adaptor then?
    Was going to cut that adaptor off and solder on a couple of battery terminal clips and charge from under the hood as recommended.
    Ill see how that works.
    Im not even sure if the cigarette lighter is connected with the ignition system off.
    Either that or my battery is toast and wont take a charge.
    Keep getting the 'charge battery ' message.
    Thanks

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I don't think the cigarette lighter socket is connected when the car is turned off. It cuts off about 10 minutes after the car is shut off. Once connected correctly, the charger may keep the red light on for some time if the batter is low. I have had mine stay on for over 24 hours before it turned green. I eventually had to replace that battery.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    Yes, that's what im thinking. Will.see what happens after 12 hours.
    Its extremely cold here , -35 C, so that might have something to do with it.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    I also noticed that the headlight switch, lane assist switches and hazard switch lamps all stay on after turning off and locking the car and everything else has turned off for a good 10 mins.
    Is that normal?

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I just checked and those lights stay on in my car too. I didn't stick around to see how long they stay on, but they are always off the next time I get into my car.