Thread: Some people never give up...

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8

Some people never give up...

Okay folks,

The following arrived in my inbox the other day. Right away it smelled funny, but then again I bet you'd be amazed at how many people fall for this tactic...
    So... take a peek and let's see what jumps out at you! Here's the email message I received...

================================================== ======
    BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT
    5070 WILSHIRE BLVD
    LOS ANGELES. CA 90036
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
    EMAIL: bmwdepartment077@gmail.com

NOTE: If you received this message in your SPAM/BULK folder, that is because of the restrictions implemented by your Internet Service Provider, we (BMW) urge you to treat it genuinely.

Dear Winner,

This is to inform you that you have been selected for a prize of a brand new 2016/2017 Model BMW 7 Series Car and a Check of $1,500,000.00 USD from the international balloting programs held on the 2nd section in the UNITED STATE OF AMERICA.

Description of prize vehicle;
    Model: 530iA Color (exterior): Metallic Silver Mileage: 5 Transmission: Automatic 6 Speed

Options: Cold weather package, premium package, fold down rear seats w/ski bag, am fm stereo with single in dash compact disc player.

The selection process was carried out through random selection in our computerized email selection system (ESS) from a database of over 250,000 email addresses drawn from all the continents of the world which you were selected.

The BMW Lottery is approved by the British Gaming Board and also Licensed by the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR). To begin the processing of your prize you are to contact our fiduciary claims department for more information as regards procedures to the claim of your prize.

Name: Mr. Dowell Salt
    Email: bmwdepartment077@gmail.com
    Contact him by providing him with your secret pin code Number
    BMW:255125HGDY03/23.

You are also advised to provide him with the under listed information as soon as possible:

1. Name In Full :
    2. Residential Address :
    3. Nationality :
    4. Age :
    5. Sex
    6. Occupation :
    7. Direct Phone :
    8. Present Country :
    9. Email address :
    10. pin code Number BMW:255125HGDY03/23

Please you are to provide him with the above listed details as soon as possible so he can begin with the processing of your prize winnings.

================================================== ======

Real Quick: This is the first phase of an ID Theft attempt
    First dead giveaway = the originating email address. Why in the world would BMW use GMAIL for its email services without "whitelabeling it"
    Second dead give away = Description of the prize doesn't match the prize "offered" ... well, they said it was a 7 series didn't they?
    Third: All of the requested information can be used to correlate your "PII" or Personally Identifying Information and be used ultimately to your detriment.

Most folks would respond with "Of course everyone knows this..it's so obvious!" But unfortunately while we might be "Smart like Yogi" (smarter than the average bear, youngsters) there are still too many around us floating along on autopilot. Just wanted to pass this along to include:

May you all have the safest and best holiday season under your circumstances and hoping we all "stay sane"

(Pssssst... BTW finally found a potentially acceptable printer for the next edition of the "8 Ball stickers" awaiting the test run to arrive now)

L8ter 8'ers!
    Bob

My Cars
    E31 4.4, E66 V12, E70 TT
    Well... My father actually won a BMW 'lottery'/raffle in 1995 in which all owners of BMW's which where purchased new where put into and selected at random, the prize was the first 'civilian' registered BMW E39 528i in Europe (highest engine specification at the time, the 540i/M5 where brought out a year later), all he had to pay was the additional options he chose... which where all of them! but of course, he was not contacted by email or post, but rather told to come down to the local dealership to discuss details further.

Too many people fall for these kinds of scams, unfortunately. If you had actually 'won' this prise, BMW would leave you with 0 doubt in your mind that you have, contacting you via a gmail account is definitely not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 E31 840CI "Sport" 4.4 - Hellrot Red - Black Nappa Leather - Every Option available - OEM 65M Wheels, EDC delete/Bilstein, M60-M62 engine transplant, updated software, CSI Steering box & AHK, Full AC Schnitzer kit, Wood Trim, Front Plate Delete, Xenons + LEDs, Tints, Black Ind. headliner, BREMBO BBK, Hamann Exhaust, Custom aluminium throttle bushings, KAW springs, Strong Strut, Greg K GenII sway bars, Camber Plates, Stut tower reinforcements, X-Brace, Wokke chips, Wokke Sphericals, PM Steer Plates, H&R Spacers, Pioneer AVIC-F60DAB + more.

1994 E34 530i
    - Calypsorot + Many mods

2008 E66 760LI V12 - Every Option Available + Full Individual Composition

2015 F02 750LI Xdrive - Every Option Available + Full Individual Composition

2013 E70 40d TT - Full BMW Performance Kit

2016 F06 M6 Gran Coupe Individual

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    You know it!!

My Cars
    1997 m3
    hahah these kind of scams crack me up. The ones that call are even funnier. Ive watched videos of where people play along with it and piss the callers off. Pretty funny.
    It is sad though that people do fall for them, especially older folks.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    So true... my sister recently told me of people rushing to supermarket to buy water because a Facebook post stated the entire electric grid was going to shut down for maintenance.... crazy.