Hi Guys firstly i would like to say ive been following and reading up for the last 12 months of owning my X3 and this sight has helpped me change all the coolant system with ease! thank you

So i changed everything apart from the left top lower hose and sensor, new water pump ( metal blades), new radiator, expntion tnk, Thermostate. This was all repalced due to a leaking radiator that had blown at the bottom most of it rplaced whilst there of course.! SO i bled the system all very ell and its been working great for 2 months!! - sorry apart from a very VERY slow drip coming from the top left lower hose sensore ( the one in the hose) been topping coolant up every two weeks... but been running fine.

Thismorning my collant light came on pulled over and had loads of coolant leaking from the righ hand side of the car!! looked under and i noticed the black plastic part under the expantion tank that fits into the metal radiator had popped off letting all coolant out... so i pushed this back in waited had to fill i think roughly a quater of the coolant up with just normal tap water ( i know!! this is all i had in the car with me in the middle of noware at the tiem) all seemed well no leaks waited for hour until engine was nearly cold again to be on safe side and i attempted to limp home.

started didnt over heat sat halfway, got 200 meters and it hit read, immediatly pulled over engine off, now i thought htis was due to the tap water been added thats why it over heated so quickly.... i then noticed after removing the sensors popping them back in the fan wasnt kicking in... messed around with it the RIgh top hose was to hot to grab, the left bottom was very cold... i let half the tank out on side of road then topped up with coolant bled the system, and massaged the to top hoses to release are.... then the fan kicked in ( this might have been coincidence) managed to get home didnt overheat at all...

got home 10 km driven - pulled up wacked heat on full opened bonned and the fan didnt kick in again !!! waited 10 minutes didnt over heat and again fan didnt kick in....

any thoughts ??
do you think the fan caused the coolant to over heat and pop the black plastic off the radiator ?
wat would cause the fan not to kick in - a sensore?

any help would be great as usuall these things happend at the most awckwrd times ......
cheers