Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: cassette replacement e39

My Cars
    2002 525d auto touring

cassette replacement e39

Hi. I have a 52 525d e39 and would like to replace the cassette player with a cd. the radio and cassette are in one piece and it has 16 flat pins in the rear plug.
    The cd player in the boot keeps jamming so I have removed it. I have searched the web for this item, but may not be using the correct name for the unit.
    eny sugestions.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest that you check out Crutchfield's site - they have a great configurator where you plug in your make/model and the populated results are only those that will work with your specific model. It's very handy to see what items will fit/work. I have attached a link for it below. Hope this helps you a bit and best of luck!

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-LlSgc0...rselector.aspx
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1997 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest that you check out Crutchfield's site - they have a great configurator where you plug in your make/model and the populated results are only those that will work with your specific model. It's very handy to see what items will fit/work. I have attached a link for it below. Hope this helps you a bit and best of luck!

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-LlSgc0...rselector.aspx
    I second Crutchfield. Their customer service is second to none.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

The Crutchfield company/service is USA orientated and there's nil or next to nil presence here in the UK.

Monrow - You'll need to search more and determine which of the UK OEM setups will allow the fitment of the single CD player in the dash which will usually be along with the MID display panel underneath it. It may mean that you'll need a different loom to retrofit these which is more expense both to purchase and then to fit correctly. CD's are declining in popularity nowadays anyway so it makes this route you are thinking about even less value for money.

Look at the UK centric http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/ for more info and register if you've not done so already. There may be more specific knowledge given your facelift 52 plate E39 and if not, ask the question there. I can't quite remember if the facelift's got the option of the 'separate' CD player and MID display with the 'flat pin' version (most likely did ?) but other's who know OEM audio better than me may well point you in the right direction.

Better value for money would be to change to a fully featured double DIN head unit which will give you much more functionality and features and help you keep the right side of the law (bluetooth mobile hands free etc)

Cheers, Dennis!